NFL Playoffs 05-06: Go Go Divisional Playoffs!

I went 2-2 last weekend, let’s see if I can do better here.

Washington @ Seattle: Man, I hate both these teams. Can’t they both lose? If not, I guess I’ll give Seattle a TD edge simply for having the time off. Seattle 23-17.

New England @ Denver: Wow, I can’t wait for this game. Tom Brady’s never lost a playoff game, and when he does, I imagine it’s going to be a good fight. I don’t think it’s time yet, however. Pats win by a FG, 26-23.

Pittsburgh @ Indy: I’d love to see the Steelers put up a big fight here, but I think Indy puts up 5 TDs and Pittsburgh can’t match it. 38-21 Indy.

Carolina @ Chicago: Carolina’s been too inconsistent this year. If the Bears can score 17, they win. I’ll say Bears 19-10.

I posted in the other thread, but figure we might as well segregate them.

Washington at Seattle: Washington is too beat up, Seattle is too good. Oh, and Seattle is healthy for the first time all year. Seattle will win this.

New England at Denver: Denver is the better team, but New England is finally healthy and really pounded Jacksonville last week. This one will probably be close either way. All the numbers add up to Denver, but my gut says New England so I’ll go out on a limb and predict the pats win.

Pittsburgh at Indy: Indy is just too good. They win.

Carolina at Chicago: Carolina is on a tear. Chicago’s defense is really good. Probably a close game either way, frankly I think this one’s a cointoss. I’ll call it for Chicago.

Seattle (I’m too lazy to give scores). While I think they are considerably weaker than the top 3-4 AFC teams, they are a far more complete team than Washington, and that will be enough for this week.

Oh man. I like the Patriots (as a team). However, much as I kind of want it to finally happen for the Colts, I’d also like to see Jake Plummer show the turn around is not a mirage. However, I’m afraid he might turn out to be the weakness, and either blow up, or work so hard on not blowing up that he’s ineffective and overly conservative. This is the hardest one of the week I think. People give a ton of credit to Belichick, but I don’t think Shanahan is a push over such that Belichick’s usual coaching magic will go as far. Still, I give this one to the Patriots.

Indy. Joey Porter needs to shut the hell up. Now after I said that, watch the Steelers play smashmouth and beatup on the Colts just like the Patriots do. :)

I think Carolina is a more complete team than Chicago, and while their defense is a little worse, it’s not that much worse, while their offense is considerably better for a game like this. Thus, Carolina.

Washington @ Seattle: I think this’ll be a closer game than people are expecting, but the winner will be who everyone expects. Seattle, 21-13.

New England @ Denver: This game, on the other hand…everyone’s picking New England to win this game, but I think that’s the east coast/defending champ/Belicheck hype/Brady hype machine at work. It’s unbelievable to me the amount of disrespect Denver is getting before this game, just as it’s unbelievable to me how fast the New England bandwagon has filled up. Yeah, New England’s run defense has been much improved over the second half of the season, but their secondary is still beat up, and I actually think Denver will still run the ball ok, too. I think not only will Denver win, they’ll blow New England out. Denver, 27-13.

Pittsburgh @ Indy: Much as I’d like to see the Steelers win, I don’t see them as being much of a match for the Colts. Indy, 31-13.

Carolina @ Chicago: I’m a Bear fan, but I just have a bad feeling about this game. It’s hard to beat a team twice, and I don’t think Delhomme’s going to put Carolina in an early hole like he did last time they met. Turnovers will likely decide this game. Carolina, 17-10.

Hmm…lots of 13’s in those scores.

W00t! Barely off on the score of the first game (no thanks for the Skins missing that field goal near the end), and nailed the score of the second. Even if it was pretty much solely due to turnovers, I’ll still take it. :-D

Wow you’re the man today!

yeah, I didn’t get why just about everyone was sucking the patriots off all week. Good call on this game.

Yeah, now watch me miss the scores of the other two games by a combined 100 points. :|

I don’t get why you waited until the game was over to express your misgivings about New England. Wait, yes I do.

Okay, Manning waving off the punting unit to get the TD was without question him overruling Dungy’s playoff wimpout tendencies. Who the fuck punts in the 4th quarter of the playoffs?

Holy Jeezus, the Colts/Steelers game is a frickin’ madhouse. The football gods are being fickle today!

The Bus fumbles going into the endzone with less than 2 minutes left and now the Colts are driving to win!

Holy god, Vanderjakt, who like never misses, shanks the ugliest looking field goal attempt in the history of the playoffs. He can’t even blame the wind because it was a dome game!

This game was just beyond crazy. Insanity heaped upon piles of insanity. Amazing. Some of the dumbest umpire calls I’ve ever seen and scads of missed opportunities in the second half.

— Alan

Wow - I just turned on the last 2 minutes of Steelers - Colts. One of the more interesting and fun endings I’ve seen all season. Fortunately, I’m not a Colts fan.

That was the most insane game I’ve seen in a long time. Somehow, though, the right team won. If the Colts had won after that travesty of a call on the interception being overturned it would have been the wrong team playing next week. That said, who could have seen that ending.

My prediction right now: Broncos verus Seahawks in the Superbowl.

Ouch. Just ouch. Great game, but that’s gotta hurt if you’re a Colts fan, especially how dominant they were in the regular season.

I feel emotionally spent after watching that 4th quarter. I’m not even sure why. It was a great game by the Steelers, a fantastic finish and an amazing effort by Roethlisberger to save the game on the fumble return. If the Colts had tied the game or gone ahead, I don’t think the Steelers would have scored again.

At this point, I’m rooting for the Steelers to go all the way. I hope they pummel the Broncos next week and whoever comes out of the NFC.

That Colts/Steelers game had one of the most intense 4th quarters I’ve seen in ages, especially once it got to the last 2 minutes. What a great game. I think I like the Steelers chances in Denver next week.

Holy crap. What a game, what a game.

That was a fun one to watch. I was most impressed that the Steelers were able to totally shift offensive philosophies and come out as a high flying passing team. Considering how little the Steelers play like that, the execution was impressive. Teams that can change up like that are very dangerous as it makes it very hard to scheme against them defensively.

I still like the Broncos over the Steelers but it ought to be a heck of a game.

Ben Roethlisberger is a pimp. Remeber what a disaster he was last year in the playoffs? So much for that guy, meet the new guy.

I’m thinking Panthers/Broncos.