NFL: Pro Bowl Selections

Michael Vick?

Michael Vick?!?

I swear these guys vote based on which character is better in Madden 06 on the xbox rather than based on their actual performance during the season.

Michael Vick?

What amazes me is when you compare the AFC QBs (Manning, Brady, and Palmer) to the NFC QBs (Delhomme, Vick, and Hasselbeck ) – I’m guessing 99% of people would take ANY of the AFC QBs over the NFC choices.

Pro Bowl is a sham though. Each team gets 3 QBs, but only 2 TEs? Only 3 guards? THREE QBs? 3 OLBs and 2 ILBs – not much room for depth there, eh? Unless you’re a QB. Christ, some teams don’t even have a 3rd QB on their entire roster, but you can rest assured knowing that they have at least 4 guards.

What amazes me is when you compare the AFC QBs (Manning, Brady, and Palmer) to the NFC QBs (Delhomme, Vick, and Hasselbeck ) – I’m guessing 99% of people would take ANY of the AFC QBs over the NFC choices.

Pro Bowl is a sham though. Each team gets 3 QBs, but only 2 TEs? Only 3 guards? THREE QBs? 3 OLBs and 2 ILBs – not much room for depth there, eh? Unless you’re a QB. Christ, some teams don’t even have a 3rd QB on their entire roster, but you can rest assured knowing that they have at least 4 guards.[/quote]

Well, it is 7-on-7, and it’s all about the “skill” positions, right?

I think it’s kind of fucked up Hasslebeck is not the starter. But, it’s the players and coaches voting that gets you these lineups. Turns out players and coaches are as prone to bandwagoning as casual fans. There’s Johnathan Ogden. There’s Ty Law. There’s Orlando Pace. Christ, there’s Larry Allen.

And why is Vick there, instead of Bledsoe or Manning or even Brunell? Fear. Nobody wants to play Atlanta with Vick in the game, because not only can he beat you, he can make you look stupid as Hell when you end up on the wrong end of one of his highlight reels (cf. entire Vikings defense).

Now, that’s as opposed to players hating your stinking guts. Note that once again, nobody from Denver’s O-line got a nod (just Ogden again for what the Hell ever reason and the usual KC/PIT/IND suspects). Amazingly, Kevin Mawae and Mike Alstott were not picked!

What th-? Neil Rackers? Shaun Rogers? Darren Sharper?

But enough about that. I like seeing these guys:

Santana Moss
Steve Smith (serious MVP candidate IMO)
All 3 NFC RBs
Brian Urlacher
Nathan Vasher
All 4 AFC WRs
All 3 AFC QBs, natch
LT is a gimme, but LJ (Larry Johnson) earned it.
All the Indy defensive guys.
Troy Polamalu

And my personal favorite: Brian Moorman, Buffalo’s punter. Ouch.

What’s wrong with Shaun Rogers?

Hey, no dissing on my boy Hasselhoff…but yes, I’d take any of the other three also!

Fortunately, we will win the Super Bowl so it doesnt really matter!

He plays for the Lions, for one.

Vanden Bosch doesn’t make the team? Hmmm…very suspicious.

Bulluck either? Titans never get any pro bowl love unless they win 12 games. Stinks.

You know, I no longer buy the argument that coaches/players know more than fans. I think lots of fans watch more of these different players than the coaches do in a given year. A team plays, what, 12 other teams in a season? A third of the NFL teams? You think they spend time keeping up with anything else?

You’re kidding yourself, bucko. Even high school football coaches spend hours each week studying film of their upcoming opponents. By the time Sunday rolls around, I guarantee you any coach in the NFL has seen everything every player on the opposing team has done all season long… several times in slow motion.

That said, they’re still morons for picking Michael Vick.

edit I’m a moron for misreading the post… you meant they don’t keep up on the players they don’t see…

duh

Yeah, I gave up on that mode of thinking a few seasons ago, m’self.

Ironically, after looking at the list of QBs in the NFC, Vick probably IS the third best choice. That’s scary. Last year’s Pro Bowlers were injured (Culpepper and McNabb), so we’re already starting with slim pickings. We have:
[ul]
[li]Injured - Griese, Culpepper, McNabb, Bulger
[/li][li]Disastrous – Garcia, Harrington, Alex Smith, Orton, Brooks, Favre
[/li][li]Inconsistent – Vick, Simms, Bledsoe, Brunell, Manning, Johnson (too few games as well), McCown, Warner, etc…
[/li][/ul]
Given that list, who are you going to vote for? I MIGHT have given the nod to Brad Johnson, but he hasn’t really lit it up, he’s been consistent and reliable. Just as easy to go with Vick. If E. Manning hadn’t slowly imploded by the end of the year, he would have gotten the nod.

There are at least three AFC QBs that would have made the Pro Bowl over Vick if they were in the NFC – Brees, Roethlisberger, and Plummer.