NFL: St. Louis looks like crap

Hey, let’s get a little respect for the Texans. For those who didn’t see what was probably the best game of the weekend (tough play on both sides of the ball, several lead changes, last minute field goal), the Texans probably should have won that game by another 6 points or so but for a drop here and a miss there. The Texans’ front line gave up 0 sacks to the Thomas-Seau defense of Miami and kept Ricky Williams in check for three quarters. If you didn’t see the game, you’re apt to think that it was just a case of Miami falling apart, but that absolutely wasn’t what happened. I think our local sports team has a reasonable chance at a five-win season. Someone Texas proud back me up.

On the fantasy front, thank you Priest Holmes for validating my much-maligned number one pick.

Glad Miami lost to the Texans. The amount of hubris in that “I’ll see you after practice” jab at the Texans was just jaw-dropping. I’m sure that Dolphin player is getting his ass chewed out for that one. “Hey you asshole, they pay really good players to play for NFL teams other than the Dolphins, ya know?”

Jeezus, every player that makes it to the Big Time is a serious player. There are no gimmee’s in the NFL. Well, except for the Bengals, but still… Respect Your Opponent. You’re not playing some piss-ant Division IIA school in college. The players on the worst NFL team are still some of the best athletes around. You don’t make it to this level by not being one.

I think Warner faked it. Martz admitted after the hospitalization that Warner did seem “confused about the plays being called in”. I think it was a case of the player wanting to stay in the game and the coach putting on the blinders to prove the media wrong. It backfired, obviously.

Woolen, I thought that was pretty disrespectful of Miami to say that, too. That’s the worst kind of bulletin board material - saying inflammatory stuff just moments before the game. No wonder the Texans were fired up the whole game. It was fresh and on their minds all day.

Warner got examined by the docs at halftime, but he passed the exam, answered every question right, etc. He had a mild headache.

In other words, they knew he had been dinged, but there was no evidence of a concussion. After the game his symptons got worse. He became nauseated (as if six fumbles wouldn’t do it!) and his headache became more severe. At they point he was examined again and they said he had a concussion. Martz said after the game that he wished he had taken him out in the second half in retrospect, but again they didn’t know he had the concussion at that point (and he threw for nearly 200 yards in the second half).

Other than the fumbling, Warner was pretty effective. I think he was holding onto the ball too long in some instances. In others, he didn’t get the protection he needed.

And… he’s not starting next week. Thanks for clearing it up Mark. But, yeesh, the QB controversy deepens, again, in St. Louis.

Can we talk about Lawyer Malloy now? Or do we need a new thread?

What the hell league are you in that would malign picking Priest Holmes with the number one pick? First round picks should’ve all gone to Priest Holmes, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, and the like. QBs should go late in the 1st if all the other top-tier RBs are gone, or sometime in the 2nd round.

Oh, and enough of this “Kurt Warner played like crap” talk - the fact of the matter is, the Giants D p0wnz0red the Rams.

But Warner was really careless with his handling of the ball. Even if they were rushing him he should have protected it better and known when to just take the sack. The Giants did put a lot of pressure on him and played very well but 6 fumbles is inexcusable.

– Xaroc

But Warner was really careless with his handling of the ball. Even if they were rushing him he should have protected it better and known when to just take the sack. The Giants did put a lot of pressure on him and played very well but 6 fumbles is inexcusable.

– Xaroc[/quote]

Yeah, the fumbles weren’t really the result of the Giants defensive play as much as they were of Warner not protecting the ball. These weren’t bone-jarring hits that cause the ball to pop out, but merely slapping the ball out of his hand.

I think the Giants played better, but not by a wide margin. If Warner had protected the ball, if the refs had properly ruled the incomplete pass to Barber as the fumble it really was…

Nah… now NINE fumbles, that’s inexcusable.

Err… you meant in a game? I thought you meant in an entire season.

Kurt Warner should never be allowed on a football field again.

You can still play effectively after a concussion - I remember when Aikman got banged hard in a helmet-to-helmet out of the pocket, bit off part of his tongue, got a mild concussion from it… next play he throws a perfect TD pass. Then he was taken out, mostly because the trainers realized what the hell a concussion was.

They should have known better. A read some from the St. Louis Dispatch and see that Martz’ apparently didn’t know for sure, but when your QB is having problems like that - duh - what else could it be. It’s not diarrhea or an upset stomach or a bad pinkie.

Then again, it sure seemed like Martz himself was suffering from a concussion. Those 4th down plays were nutty. When you’re in a town blessed - blessed - with two good QBs, you gotta take the first out if he shows signs of injury. Hell, I know - I wish we had one good QB. Leaving one after all that will just spell disaster and embarassment.

— Alan

They should have known better. A read some from the St. Louis Dispatch and see that Martz’ apparently didn’t know for sure, but when your QB is having problems like that - duh - what else could it be. It’s not diarrhea or an upset stomach or a bad pinkie.

He threw for nearly 200 yards in the second half. He didn’t look out of it or anything.

The concussion didn’t seem to cause any performance problems, other than Warner not getting the first few plays sent in, and at the time they thought it was the headset in his helmet. The only criticisms I have of Warner are that he fumbled far too much, the result of sometimes holding onto the ball too long and usually not protecting it properly.

I think there’s a special place in hell for whoever selected the Rams’ new uniforms and whoever decided to put the Browns back in orange pants. Ugh!

Yeah but as I said, I saw Aikman throw a perfect TD pass after getting knocked around big-time, suffering a mild concussion, then after he came back off they realized he was suffering from the concussion and he was taken out of the game. Just because you’re concussed doesn’t mean you can throw the ball, but it does bring other things to question.

The concussion didn’t seem to cause any performance problems, other than Warner not getting the first few plays sent in, and at the time they thought it was the headset in his helmet. The only criticisms I have of Warner are that he fumbled far too much, the result of sometimes holding onto the ball too long and usually not protecting it properly.

He looked somewhat indecisive in quite a few plays, moreso than one normally would think or act. According to a Dispatch columnist:

Rams coach Mike Martz admitted that quarterback Kurt Warner didn’t seem the same after getting pummeled in the first quarter. He had trouble understanding the plays being sent in.

He held onto the ball too long in the pocket, then didn’t hold onto it when the New York Giants arrived.

At times he seemed totally baffled.

“Kurt’s a competitor,” Martz told reporters after the game. “But he just wasn’t himself. He looked confused when you gave him a play, and I shouldn’t have played him. I regret playing him.”

Nice of Martz to admit it afterwards, but Martz being Martz, a big giant goofball, didn’t even think to realize it. Ah that silly Kurt, doing those goofy things again. How funny!

Sorry, I only wish Dallas had the QB problems you guys have :)

— Alan

[Shockey]You homo![/Shockey]

[Shockey]You homo![/Shockey][/quote]

Heh! I’m just a traditionalist. I love that the Jints are wearing those 60s style uniforms again. The Browns should never wear anything but their ugly brown or white jerseys with white pants and the Steelers should never put a logo on the other side of their helmets. And those stripes on the Rams’ new unis are incredibly gay.

What the hell league are you in that would malign picking Priest Holmes with the number one pick? First round picks should’ve all gone to Priest Holmes, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, and the like.

Maligned in that most everyone in my league thought I was stupid to pass up one of the other RBs you mentioned. The feeling was that Holmes was too big a gamble with his hip injury to be a number one. I don’t think anyone would have let Holmes go too far down the line, but having him first pick out of the gate raised eyebrows.

Levine, the Browns and Rams look good compared to the Seahawks, Bills, and the Saints at home. Black from the waist down… nice… looks like PJs. (I agree that the Browns and Rams need to go back in time a bit.) The only uni change I’m in favor of is Tampa. Tangerine just isn’t a football color, dammit.

Agreed. What really has me cringing is that you just know that one of these days the Browns are going to run out on the field wearing both the orange jerseys and orange pants. Yikes!

Agreed. What really has me cringing is that you just know that one of these days the Browns are going to run out on the field wearing both the orange jerseys and orange pants. Yikes![/quote]

It is interesting the Redskins wore white on white for the opener against the Jets by request of the players. I thought it looked pretty good. They are also talking about wearing burgandy on burgandy for a big game sometime during the season which I also think would look great.

I also think orange on orange for the Browns would look pretty damn cool but that is probably just me.

– Xaroc