NFL Week Six

First – are the guys on ESPN’s Sunday Night Football coverage team all morons or what? Seattle plays the worst team in the league and completely dominates them in every aspect of the game. An expected outcome given Seattle’s above-average talent and Houston’s “we’d get owned in Division I football let alone the NFL” lack thereof. Based on the way Seattle spanked Houston, the announcers couldn’t stop gushing about how Seattle looks like “the best team in the league.” Of course they do – against the hapless Texans.

Anyhow, I’m a Seahawk fan so I’m not complaining about the win, but a lifetime of seeing Seattle teams swoon midseason has left me cautiously pessimistic.

Still, Peter Warrick is going to prove to be a great pickup for the 'hawks.

As for the rest of the league, all I can say is – the Patriots are really looking like a Jekyl and Hyde team – world beaters one week, mediocre the next.

Stay positive Ryan!

Speaking of the Patriots? Did something happen with their offensive and defensive coordinators?

Dallas looked solid despite Julius Jones being out and his replacements not doing much. Shockey was wearing out the Dallas defense.

San Diego’s Tomlinson is just awesome. His recent performances just show how silly it was to not run the offense through him early in the season.

5 and 1.

Houston looked awful last night. I could have run through some of those holes. I wish ESPN would just dump Theismann and Maguire. They’re just annoying.

Seattle’s in for a decent season. If not for a banked upright against the 'Skins, they could be 5-1 right now, with one loss to Jacksonville. Of course, they tried to give away a game to the Rams, and almost blew a 21-0 lead to Atlanta as well, so they could just as easily be 3-3. Their schedule isn’t too bad, so they really have one job this year: Stay ahead of the Rams so they can win the West.

Denver and Jacksonville took huge steps forward this week. Jax’s schedule the rest of the year is unbelievably cushy, filled with teams like Houston, Tennessee, Cleveland, SF and Arizona. They could easily win 12 games.

On the flip side, Pittsburgh suddenly has a must-win game in Cincy this week. Anyone know when Roethlisberger is supposed to come back? Maddox and Batch aren’t going to get it done.

Man, the NFC North is horrid. Chicago and Detroit tied for first at 2-3? That division should just donate their playoff spot to charity.

yes, being a Packer’s fan is pretty sad this year

Bah, I hate stuff like this. Maddox had a huge year a few years ago under Mularkey (I think) and is a great passer. He had one bad game and is suddenly now a relic that needs to be put out to pasture.

First, Maddox was playing without Ward, whereas Ben has had Ward all year. Second, Maddox had 28 pass attempts, which is at the high end of the scale for a Steelers QB. Finally, the Jags are the 4th ranked defense in the NFL.

I expect Maddox to have a little bit of rust, and I think they can win just fine with him. He took them to the playoffs, if I recall. As long as their running game and defense are sound, they’ll be fine.

What, you don’t like listening to two old cranks argue like a gay married couple?

Have you heard my impression of a Sunday night game being called?

“Carr sees nothing, tucks it in and tries to get to the outside, caught from behind by Jamie Sharper; maybe a yard and the Texans will…wait a minute…IT’S RULED A FUMBLE AND THE SEAHAWKS COME UP WITH IT AND IT’S ANOTHER TEXANS TURNOVER! i[/i] Are you kidding me?

“Aw, jeez…you see, look at Carr right here-”

“See, he-”

“Wait a minute, Joe. Carr’s checking off receivers, he’s got nobody, so he tries to tuck and run. That’s stupid. He can’t run! He has no mobility, he cannot do that. So he tucks it and tries for a hitch - now look here - and BAM! nailed from behind by Sharper.”

“Which knocks the ball loose before his knee touches, as we see by the replay.”

“That’s right, Mike. See, when you’re a big, pocket-passing quarterback, when you’re a Peyton Manning, a or a, uh, a Brett Favre, you’ve got to throw it away. You can’t try to run with it, you’re gonna get hurt or something bad is going to happen, like that fumble. But Carr was thinking, I’ve got to get something going for my team, here. You have to do that, you have to think like that, when you’re the quarterback.”

“Brett Favre? He’s a big-time scrambler.”

“Well, maybe he shouldn’t be, though.”

“You know, Joe, you-”

“Hasselbeckout of the shotgun and- TOUCHDOWN SEATTLE AS HASSELBECK THROWS A STRIKE TO PETER WARRICK!”

“Wow, you know, Peter Warrick is a guy who you really want on your team!”

“Really? Cincinnati didn’t. They cut 'im.”

“Check that, it wasn’t Warrick, it was Joe Jurevicius.”

“Now there’s a guy you want on your team…”

Seattle’s in for a decent season. If not for a banked upright against the 'Skins, they could be 5-1 right now, with one loss to Jacksonville. Of course, they tried to give away a game to the Rams, and almost blew a 21-0 lead to Atlanta as well, so they could just as easily be 3-3. Their schedule isn’t too bad, so they really have one job this year: Stay ahead of the Rams so they can win the West.

No offense, but if you gave every team their ifs, everybody would be in the playoffs (except San Fran, Cleveland, Minnesota and the Texans).

The NFC is even lamer than it was last season, so there’s little reason to think the Seahawks won’t make the playoffs. But, I don’t know if I could call their schedule “not too bad.” Spot them 3 games for the Cards and the 2 Niners games, sure. The Rams are eminently beatable. Philly’s in enough disarray, they might capitalize on that. Except - oops - it’s in Philly, and the Seahawks are currently 0-9 playing East Coast teams on the road. So, at Tennessee looks kinda funky, too. And nobody wants to play the Colts ever. The Giants game may turn out to be a watershed game for them, winning it would be monster. Likewise that Green Bay game, but at Green Bay, perhaps Favre’s last home game ever…no thanks. Still, it adds up to a winning record.

Denver and Jacksonville took huge steps forward this week. Jax’s schedule the rest of the year is unbelievably cushy, filled with teams like Houston, Tennessee, Cleveland, SF and Arizona. They could easily win 12 games.

You betcha. Get to the playoffs and then, it’s all about defense. That bodes really well for Jax. Denver, though. The pisser for them is, for the remainder of the season, all of their home games are against teams they could beat on the road and all their away games are the tough nuts. Hosting Philly, Baltimore, and the Jets, but having to do the road thing for Dallas, the Giants, and the Bills (plus it’s their turn to play away for most of their remaining interdivision matches) is no picnic.

On the flip side, Pittsburgh suddenly has a must-win game in Cincy this week. Anyone know when Roethlisberger is supposed to come back? Maddox and Batch aren’t going to get it done.

Word is, he could have played in last week’s game, but Cowher decided against it. Like, since they have a winning record and it’s still early in the season and all. Expect him under center this week.

Man, the NFC North is horrid. Chicago and Detroit tied for first at 2-3? That division should just donate their playoff spot to charity.

Ha ha, really. I’d be keeping an eye on Chicago. This week is a wash probably, as everybody plays doof teams (GB vs Minnesota, Detroit vs. Cleveland, Chico vs. Baltimore). But then they play Detroit while GB plays away in Cincy. D’oh. Then it’s off to play the Saints HAHAHAHAHA sorry, I know that’s not PC. Though the Lions get Minnesota and Green Bay gets…Pittsburgh. Sheesh. Then, it’s still close as Detroit plays the Cards and the Bears play the Niners. Meanwhile, the Packers play…the Falcons. Somebody give McMaster a hankie.

It gets rough for both Detroit and Chicago after that, so week 11 or so is when the real winner of that division is going to be decided, unless somebody hilariously implodes before that (I mean, besides the Vikings).

Earlier in the broadcast they all agreed Mike Holmgren was the best playcaller in the league. I immediately wondered if they saw last week’s game where the Hawks tossed three incomlpete passes and then kicked to a rallying Rams team with about three minutes left to play.

I don’t think I’m giving Seattle too many ifs with their schedule, but that’s a good point about the final game in Green Bay. I figured Seattle would easily get to 10-6 and that would be enough, but if the Rams win that second matchup with Seattle, it could come down to that final game against the Packers.

Ultimately, though, I don’t think the Rams are a very good team. I expect Seattle to win games against SF and Arizona; I have no idea what to expect out of the Rams in those games. It’s Seattle’s division to lose.

I know Maddox had one good string a few years back and was missing Ward yesterday, but he looked flat-out lost. I don’t think he’s been the same since he had those health problems two years back. If that’s what your backup gives you on your home field, I’d be extremely worried about putting him under center in a must-win at Cincy.

The Sunday night team for ESPN is the absolute worst football guys in the land. I often have to mute it because they are the most annoying announcers that ever were.

Patrick is a solid announcer who is made stupid just by sharing a booth with Joe and Paul.

I agree, I like Patrick, it’s the other two in their weekly retard-off that drives me crazy.

I wouldn’t know…they’ve blended together as something awful. I only know which one is theisman because I know he used to play.

Also…If Griese isn’t out forever (i.e. longer than 2-3 weeks), the Bucs are going to take the NFC. Not that that’s saying a lot, but it’s something all the same.

Griese is somewhat infamous for choking in big games at times though. He’s a great regular season player in the right system but doesn’t seem to have much poise.

Tampa isn’t going to take the NFC, Griese or not. They needed a questionable replay call to beat Detroit at home, they couldn’t beat the Jets on the road, they barely beat a woeful Packers team. They’ve yet to play a decent offense, and they really won’t all year (6 NFC south games, Washington, San Fran, Chicago, and at New England).

They may well win their division (really depends on Atlanta and Vick), but I don’t think they’ll get far in the playoffs, since whoever they play will likely be the best team they play all year.

Man, Washington is The Team That Would Not Die, isn’t it?

I wouldn’t count out Tamp Bay just yet. Seems to me ol’ Gruden won a Super Bowl already with a gimp-prone, big-game-slouching QB in Brad Johnson, so who knows? The real injury concern is Cadillac Williams.

A healthy Michael Vick in the playoffs makes Atlanta the team to beat, but if he plays hobbled, I’m thinking Dallas. But, dang how fucking cool would Giants-Colts be in the Super Bowl? Holy shit, that would be something. Paul Tagliabue would mess himself.

You know, with the Rams up 17-0 tonight, I was thinking “alright! we’re going to get a good ballgame!”

And even with that huge lead, they couldn’t stop the Colts from blowing them out. :)

The funny thing about that game is that the Colts opened as 13 point favorites. They were bet as high as 14.5 in some spots before coming down to 14.