NHL 2005-6 Starts.... Now

Well actually it starts in just two measly days but wanted to start the official discussion thread for this year before I forget.

Go Stars!

— Alan

Sports Illustrated did a pretty cool feature on the upcoming season, with a big color fold-out explaining all the rule changes. I had no idea they had changed so much.

I also enjoyed where they ranked the Rangers as 30 out of 30 teams. Oh, well. There’s always next year. :)

Are the Red Wings still good?

Yes, but they’re not at the level they once were. They also play in a (comparitively) weak division in the Western Conference which they’re likely to win.

The Wings are a playoff-bound team, to be sure, but gone are the days of considering them an automatic Cup-contender. They’ll make it no further than the second round.

Last couple of years the Wings have been doing a good job of getting beat early on in the play offs against weak teams.

I thought Fox Cancelled Hockey.

Last couple of years the Wings have been doing a good job of getting beat early on in the play offs against weak teams.

Given that SI, among several other publications, has predicted Calgary to win it all this year, I’d hardly call them a weak team, and Anaheim might have been a contender last year if Giguere hadn’t demanded a huge new contract which necessitated moving several key players from their 2002-2003 squad. I don’t think you can classify either club, both of which made it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, as a “weak team”.

Can you imagine if Calgary goes all the way this year… man.

Very few teams look even close to the pre-lockout teamss.

Once again I shall watch 70+ games on TV, attend maybe 2- Kings ticket prices are very steep, and then hope and pray that we make the playoffs.

One nice thing is that apparenly the Kings are currenly 5 million under the cap so they can do some serious dealing as the season goes on.

It is very hard to be a Kings fan in LA…just trying to explain that yes we DO have a hockey team expends way too much effort. Alas the days of Wayne are gone…

Still, it is the best game ever.

Can you imagine if Calgary goes all the way this year… man.

Very few teams look even close to the pre-lockout teamss.

In Calgary’s case, they were able to keep the players that mattered the most. True, losing Craig Conroy and Martin Gelinas sucks, but the addition of Daymond Langkow and Tony Amonte should offset that loss. Any team with Iginla, Kipper, and the best blueline in the league has as good as chance of winning the Cup as anyone.

You could pick more or less any team and say “they’re playoff bound” and have a 75% chance of being right. Not only do more than half the teams make it, but nobody really has an idea of how the huge roster shuffling and the rule changes will play out, so even teams predicted to be bad have a chance to sneak in.

I can’t wait, got tickets for opening night. I’m interested in seeing what these rules changes will bring, the preseason was a bit up and down as far as scoring goes. Not that I want high-scoring games, I just want to see players skate and attack the goal more.

Go Stars!

The Flyers might have new faces this year, but I don’t think they’re any less of a team than they were pre-lockout. In fact, I’ll be very disappointed if they aren’t playing in the Stanley Cup Finals.

–Dave

Reminder: NHL Center Ice is free for the first week of the season – check your cable provider for the actual channels. If you have an HD tv and get HDNet, they will broadcast two games a week in high-def. Here is the NHL schedule page along with what television coverage is available: http://www.nhl.com/schedules/index.html

woah! Thanks, Jim! I was lamenting that I wouldn’t get to see the Preds play tonight (or any other night). This season will be hard to watch, literally. ESPN no longer shows it, OLN does…but sporadically. And you can’t count on regional coverage unless (and often, even if) you live in the city of the team you like to follow.

I am really looking forward to seeing hockey again. Didn’t realize how much I missed it.

Kiprusoff’s had ONE good season in the NHL, though, and wasn’t even the starter for the full year (he only played 38 games). Not saying that Calgary isn’t a great team, but I can think of at least a dozen goalies who had awesome first years and then blew apart in the second.

I’ve got a weird feeling that Vancouver is going to be the team to beat in the West this year. I think Calgary will be up there, but won’t be nearly as good as some pundits are predicting. And I think Edmonton will be a huge disappointment. Maybe playoffs, but just barely – that’s what happens when you’ve got no centers and a proven number-one goalie.

For those with Comcast Internet service they are going to show games kind of like CI:

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=34848

In Washington we are going to generally suck but Ovechkin will be fun to watch. We have a fast young team that is going to be terribly inconsistant. Still I can’t wait to watch them.

– Xaroc

Kiprusoff’s had ONE good season in the NHL, though, and wasn’t even the starter for the full year (he only played 38 games). Not saying that Calgary isn’t a great team, but I can think of at least a dozen goalies who had awesome first years and then blew apart in the second.

He also did amazingly well in the World Cup last year, which featured the majority of the most talented players in the league. He also played really well in an NHL-player-filled Swedish Elite League last year.

I’m willing to admit the possibility, but I don’t foresee Kiprusoff being another Jim Carey.

[Edit]
And Kipper’s preseason stats (yes, I know, I know) were 2W 0L 1SO 1.00GAA .950Sv. That’s pretty damn impressive, even for a preseason game.

Well low-scoring hockey, aside from a few games like Toronto-Ottawa, seem to have gone the way of the dodo. Lots and lots of goals.

And the Rangers beat Philly! Wow.

— Alan

OUCH! Mats Sundin took a puck in the face. Leaf hate or not, you can’t glory in that.

Rangers win! Heck, they scored 5 goals!

I’ll enjoy it while it lasts. :)