Ni no Kuni 2 Revenant Kingdom

Maybe gear is a factor? I don’t know man. The only thing that really scared me was a purplish charged thingy, and a story related bad guy I don’t want to spoil.

As a dad, I’m loving this! The animation has my daughter engaged enough to actually play the game, and then she discovered she could handle the combat some. Now when she’s not running in circles watching the way the characters are animated she is running around looking for things to fight. Super fun.

When I play myself I get to focus on kingdom building which is totally my crack, and fighting the nastier, optional monsters which are a pleasant challenge. Unless they are several levels higher than me in which case I just die.

Just starting Chapter 5.

My gear was level-appropriate at that point. Regardless, let’s say it is the case that 99% of the battles can be won by just sitting out and letting your NPCs do the job. Why would you even do that? Isn’t the combat fun enough that you’ll want to be a part of it? Can’t you perhaps give your companions underleveled gear to give you a bit more challenge?

You finished the game to its ending or you’re just done with the game because you don’t like it?

So you are suggesting I gimp my party so that the game is more challenging? I mean, I guess you could do that. Or I could just go play a more balanced and challenging game. This month there is no shortage of engaging things coming out, so I aim inclined to do that instead. as a 50 yr old min/maxer to the core, that would not be my “go to” move =) If the Kingdom building was more engaging (to me), I might have toughed it out longer.

There were things I liked about the game. I like the skirmishes, I thought those were interesting and more challenging. My first dream door the boss there was more difficult at level 3 difficulty when I did him. I ended up using about 4 health plants on that one. I liked the characters, even though I didn’t really like the story or the walls of text you have to click through for what seems like forever at some points.

As I said, I’m glad you guys are digging it. Wish I was…

@rowe33 - I petered out. It wasn’t grabbing me.

Pet peave: If you are going to present me with a wall of text, please give me the option of just speed clicking through the whole mess, or a blessed skip button…I also found the story a bit slim, and that’s fine as I wasn’t really playing for the story, but spending 20 minutes clicking X a bunch of times, then running to spot Y, then clicking X a bunch of times, et al. and having to wait 3-5 seconds for each line of 50 lines of text to skip… I am sure I am exaggerating here but that is what it felt like. I just wanted to get on with the game part, and then the game part wasn’t all that engaging to me. (I emphasize the “to me” part!)

@iguanaDitty - My kids are both grown now and out of the house, and I miss those times playing with them when they were young! It’s rare when you get to find a game you both like and can enjoy!

Well, yeah, that explains things. This is not a min/maxer game for sure, and there are certainly better options for you out there.

Which again, is funny because it kinds of looks like one on the outside, doesn’t it? lots of spells and skills, lots of gear, RPG slots, Kingdom to build, combat tweaker sliders, random climbing difficulty dungeons… All the min/maxing signs were there…

Well, most reviews mentioned that most of those things felt optional to a point, and when things are optional (meaning that you can complete the game without investing in them), there’s little space for min/maxing. Also, no difficulty settings, which is another mark of games not targeted at min/maxers. And so on and so forth…

caveat emptor I guess. I had a ton of fun with the first NNK, and I stayed away from most reviews for spoilery reasons and purchased off the strength of the meta. Sacrilege I know!

I will say every review I read indicated the game was super easy. I think one review I read even dinged it for being too easy. I don’t mind, though, as long as I keep having fun but I can see myself getting bored at or even earlier than you did if the story stops being fun (I am digging it so far).

E: It just occurred to me there is a pretty strong chance as I’ve seen many games in the last year do this, that NNK2 could even get a “hard” mode or something, so hey you never know.

To be fair, I sincerely doubt that 50 year old, battle-hardened (gaming) curmudgeons are the target audience for this game! (I am 1 myself)

There are plenty of dark, difficult, min/maxing games out there (see Dark Souls series) and I came into this one knowing it was aimed more at a younger audience. Since my youngest is 20, and not an RPG fan, I decided to not let that deter me, and went into it with the correct mind-set. I was not wrong. It’s silly, goofy, and easy as hell, and I’m loving it. I’m also playing this at the same time as Into the Breach and Northgard, which are both challenging enough so when I need a break from the goofy kingdom in NNK2 I have these others to fall back to.

Is the text voiced? My daughter turned 6 today and I was considering getting it for us but she’s not that great a reader yet.

This is a long game. Soft and gentle with a lot of happy grinding.

Most of it is not voiced. Maybe 40% is voiced and 60% isn’t

The cut scenes are fully voiced. As for the rest, make a family thing of it! Do funny voices. Let your 6 yo read Evan’s lines, even if it takes a little longer. They will get better at reading while playing with you.

And years from now, I bet you they will still remember the time they spent playing it with you.

okay, we’ll give it a shot! Now I need to figure out how to hook up a controller to my PC. I’ve been forcing her to learn mouse and keyboard but I guess I will join the new century.

In other news, ran into an annoying Steam bug. If you try to initiate a remote download of a game via the web interface to your account on a machine other than the one you’re downloading to, it appears to try to install to the directory where Steam is installed rather than to the default directory configured within Steam on the target machine. It was pretty confusing because I started a remote download and got home to discover that I didn’t have enough disk space. I deleted a bunch of stuff and I still didn’t have enough disk space. This was because the game was trying to download to the wrong drive and I couldn’t find a way around this until I tried aborting the download and restarting, when I could choose the correct default directory.

It is rated T for teen… But is this something I could play with my 7 year old daughter? I am getting tired of playing Knack II with her… (she is fine with it however and loves it… It is me that needs the change hah!). I’d like to get her into on something else…

If you are ok with cartoony violence (not bloody or gruesome) including characters dying, sure. I don’t see why not. I don’t think there’s any sort of co-op.

I refuse to believe they made this game in less than 5 years. It have too much polish in it. So much polish that you sometimes have to look away the screen and say to yourself “dudes, thanks, that was unnecessary, I don’t really deserve it”.

My 6yo and I played through the intro part a couple nights ago and it went great. We took turns voicing the characters. She even really likes trying out the combat since it’s pretty simplistic early on.