Nice small LCD with lots of inputs? (and cheap!)

I’m thinking anywhere from 12"-18" and it needs to wear many hats. I’d like to use it for 4 functions.

1. Use as a tv in the downstairs for the rare time we’re down there.
  2. Hook up to my PC for an extra monitor (primarily while doing webwork) and maybe for games ex. the gauges in MS Flight Sim x)
  3. Hook up to a Media Center box I cobble together from spare parts.
  4. I’ll use it a lot when working on family & friends who bring their broken computer’s to my house.

Thanks for the help! :)

People are probably gagging to give away old 15-17" LCDs on your local second hand trading post website.

There are cheap (say $150) 19" TVs out there if you want new and they all have VGA and HDMI inputs at this point, allowing them to be used as computer monitors (with a 1280x720 resolution). Higher resolution TVs at that size are going to be more expensive.

Are there adapters that would allow it to do all I’d hope? I’ve got a ton of VGA-DVI adapters, but I’m not sure if it could be hooked up as a tv? HDMI, S-Video, or Composite? That’s the only stumbling block for an old cheap LCD.

I’ve looked at a few, but 19" would be too big for dragging all over and a bit too expensive.

15", has VGA and HDMI inputs (although no mention of them in the specs on the Newegg page), 1366 x 768, not real good contrast and brightness and response time, though, but it’s inexpensive.

I’ve got ya covered!

I won this exact TV at a recent grand opening of a Bullritos.

• Tons of inputs: vga, hdmi, component, composite. s-video
  • full qam/atsc tuners
  • weighs like nothing
  • horrible viewing angles. At 15" though you’ll be pretty close to it to see anything anyways.
  • pretty cheap.

It works and I guess It’s not bad for the price but the view angles are pretty bad.

Hehe, my typos just get me in trouble. It needs to be a very hateful LCD - lolol.

Arogan - just how bad are bad viewing angles? Does it get hot or stay nice and cool? Something I always forget is maybe I could something off eBay?

Define too big. This Sanyo weighs less then six pounds and I’ve seen at my local Walmart for $160. You can save a bit by going smaller, but who wants to game or watch TV on a 15" screen? Nobody I know. And you get what you pay for with no name brands like Viore and Coby. Sanyo (for example) isn’t great but it is a major brand.

The gaming aspect was just for secondary things like gauges. The main reason is for tooling it around for quick hookup. We wouldn’t be sitting there watching tv in the basement it’d just be background video. So space-wise I really do want a dinky display.

They why do you want it to be a TV (which you listed as needed function #1)? I guess I’m confused, because it really seems like all you want is a small monitor for “other stuff”, which can be accomplished much more cheaply then buying something with TV capabilities. And if you want TV capabilities, anything smaller then a 19" is rather pointless (IMHO) unless you need a TV to take camping or stick in an RV where you’d be watching it from two feet away.

small secondary LCDs are expensive. this item you desire doesn’t exist.

I believe you’re correct.

Sarkus - I was just trying to find a small device to fit all my current and future “extranous” needs for cheap ($100). I’d done quite a bit of research and couldn’t seem to find it which is why I asked here. Considering good LCD’s can be had for $200, I figured a small quality one should be around for half, but that isn’t the case.

i did research for this for a friend who wanted a small monitor for electronic music instrument readouts about a year ago and they were expensive for a small few inches with basically video-on-a-usb (displaylink) –

there was supposed to be a bunch available with windows vista (remember the small external displays that were supposed to display sidebar/widget data?) but …it never caught on.

remember those lame laptops that had an 2ndary display?

What’s wrong with an old Dell 2001FP? 19" IPS display, has VGA, DVI, S-Video, and composite inputs, and currently goes for $100 or less on eBay.

is this cheap?

USB input only.