Nico -- did anyone here like Ico?

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32654&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Some screens of the follow-up to Ico in that thread there. Not yet sure if it takes place in the same world, or what, but in any event, its the team’s second game.

Has anyone here played the original? I wasn’t sure if Ico was the type of game that QT3-ers liked or not. If you don’t know it, its a superb puzzley adventure game for the PS2 where you play the role of a horned boy banished to a castle, who must escape, cooperating with the princess. It had great puzzle design, a very well-carried off mechanic of cooperating and caring/traveling with a second character, great pacing and the best interplay of light and shadow I have ever seen in a videogame. :o Its very much like Prince of Persia or Out of this World in movement, except in 3D. (Are those considered PC classics?)

-Kitsune

I really love Ico, I’ve played through it several times. I wish the US version had the extra features of the UK release.

Ico is one of the best things I played last year. I was a little late to the party. I’m anxious to see what the team does next and if it’s set in the same world, etc. I’m just glad that despite disappointing sales, Sony seems to be letting them go ahead with a similar style in the next game.

–Dave

I still haven’t gotten very far in Ico myself, but my wife finished it and enjoyed it, I’m sure she’ll be happy to know there’s another game in the same vein coming.

On a side note, it’s kinda odd having to come here to see you post, Kits. :P

I made it a point to rent Ico the minute I bought my PS2 from all the positive feedback I heard. I wasn’t dissapointed. It reeks style with its presentation and simplicity. The scenery is beautiful, the gameplay is challenging but not impossible. Although it is a short game I didn’t leave fealing unsatisfied at all. I loved it and I look forward to anything else the team has been working on.

ICO is my favorite game of the generation. One of the few games that just brings gaming to life as an art form, and more than just a set of ordered events, hardcoded onto optical media.

Everything about the game just oozed art and style and emotion. I don’t like to say much about the game, lest it be called overrated. ;)

By the way, people miss you over at GA.

Heh, Darkshire beat me to it… and what the hell, Jazar!? Welcome!

It feels odd to post here, where console games seem like a nasty disease, Darkshire. :D

Is that Jazar, as in Oni Jazar, the King’s Quest III, Ultima fan? I just got Exult running Ultima VII well, so I’m gonna give it a whirl now, but I can’t get the music to work, which is a bummer. Is Ultima music really good?

Who are you at GA, Pajama Pants?

Yeah, well, I hate to be rude but if people there would have kept their nose out of other people’s business, it wouldn’t have effected anything too damagingly in my real life. C’est la vie.

-Kitsune

"Is that Jazar, as in Oni Jazar, the King’s Quest III, Ultima fan? I just got Exult running Ultima VII well, so I’m gonna give it a whirl now, but I can’t get the music to work, which is a bummer. Is Ultima music really good? "

One and only. 8) I’d say the music in U7 helps the atmosphere tremendously and is quite good in a background sort of way. You do have the sound effects and speech working at least? That is an absolute must. There’s a seperate download for it to work on Exult if I recall correctly. What kind of sound card do you have?

Ultima 3 has the most memorable soundtracks IMO and Ultima Online has great remix renditions of almost all the Ultima tunes.

Ico is one of the best games of the last two or three years on any system. Its gameplay is excellent puzzle solving with great diffculty rampup, but even the combat is surprisingly good when it often feels tacked on in other games like this. It also defies genre “laws” by staying in one environment and dispensing with things like an inventory and a HUD. But its real strength is the emotional connection between the boy and Princess Yorda. There’s a dramatic twist towards the end that I don’t want to spoil but it adds another layer of emotional depth to an already superbly crafted story. I recommended to anyone who is unfortunate enough to bump into me at work, at a restaurant, sitting in traffic…

Speech and sound effects? Err, I guess I should say I don’t have the sound working. :) Separate downloads, I’ll guess I have to check it out more thoroughly, some of the directions seemed really weird and complicated. I have the soundcard that came with my laptop, so nothing all that fancy, I always say Roland MT32, Adlib, Soundblaster or General Midi for those old games and one of them always seems to work so…

I’ve had to start Quest of the Avatar twice over since I start getting the urge to do really, nasty mean things when the party member from the Humility joins your team.

Right now I’m trying to get past this part on Monkey Island, where you just arrive on Monkey Island and I’m thinking you have to do something to get banana’s to feed the monkey to get that thing down in the cliff, but I don’t think I’m aiming the rocks right, so I’m just wandering around places seeing where the Hermit shows up.

-Kitsune

Ico is my favorite PS2 game, can’t wait for the sequel. Hopefully it’ll have more puzzles than you can shake a stick at.

Kitsune,

You should be able to get speech, sound and music then. Check in the Exult downloads page and find the sound pack for Ultima VII and Serpent Isle if you have that (which you should!). You have to edit the exult.cfg file to specify the music file is there. The readme should tell you what to do. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

"I’ve had to start Quest of the Avatar twice over since I start getting the urge to do really, nasty mean things when the party member from the Humility joins your team. "

You know when I first played the game I completely missed that person so I had to start over again with humility as my main virtue. :?

"Right now I’m trying to get past this part on Monkey Island, where you just arrive on Monkey Island and I’m thinking you have to do something to get banana’s to feed the monkey to get that thing down in the cliff, but I don’t think I’m aiming the rocks right, so I’m just wandering around places seeing where the Hermit shows up. "

You’ve got the right idea. That’s one of the best adventure games you’re playing btw. I envy you. :)

I’m a simple lurker there (well was), and I enjoyed reading your impressions. Don’t know what exactly happened that drove you away, but it’s none of my business so I’ll let it be.

Glad to see you are alive and well though.

Ah I see. Thanks, and also thanks for not prying. :) Suffice to end it and say it got me in very real trouble over here and I really don’t think I did anything to warrant that kind of treatment.

Err, I guess I could post some of my impressions, but I doubt anybody here would really be interested in Giftpia. ;) If you ever have a title you’re interested in hearing about, be sure to be PM though.

Anyway, thanks also to Jazar! I’m going to go try Ultima VII now right after I eat lunch (of course I have Serpent Isle too! You know, the packaging these games came in is really nifty.)

-Kitsune

The Complete Ultima7 is a drastic difference from the previouis Ultimas in lots of ways, but for many (myself included) it’s the greatest in the series.

I loved it, myself.

http://www.techtv.com/extendedplay/reviews/story/0,24330,3352407,00.html

/plug

One of the best things on the PS2 to this day.

~MJK

I am, how is it?

I am, how is it?[/quote]

I second that.

I am, how is it?[/quote]

I second that.[/quote]

I have a PS2 and never tried ICO, but never let it be said that I would inhibit someone from rambling about a game.

Please proceed with your crazy overseas impressions. :wink:

I second all the praise; it’s a beautiful game. Hey Matt, wasn’t this Adam’s Game of the Year on Extended Play in 2001?