NieR: Automata

That’s right, a sequel to NieR, one of the best games of the previous console generation. PS4, launching early next year, developed by Platinum Games (of Bayonetta/Metal Gear Rising fame) and written by Taro Yoko, the mad genius behind the original game. If I had a PS4 I would be incredibly psyched. Since I don’t…this is, I think, the game that has come closest to tempting me to get one. It’s still not going to happen (I just wouldn’t get my money’s worth). But man.

The Something Awful thread on the subject has a whole bunch of info all rounded up so I’ll just leave that link here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773002

The E3 2016 trailer looks pretty good. It’s a lot of quick cuts but it’s better combat footage than what we’ve seen so far, which has been kind of mundane. I’m intrigued by the 3D bullet dodging.

Did you play the original NieR? That was a major feature of the combat (or at least boss encounters) in that one. Though it seems reasonable to assume that Platinum will amp up the combat considerably. If you haven’t, go do that. It’s brilliant. Just realize that the vast majority of the sidequests are a sadistic prank on completionists and you’ll have a far better time with the game if you don’t bother. (No, seriously, that’s the kind of thing Taro Yoko pulls in his games. I’m not just cracking wise at their expense.)

Prior to my PS4 I bought for Bloodborne, I haven’t owned a console since the SNES. I borrowed a PS3 to play Demon’s Souls and God Hand. I don’t think I’ll bother for NieR. This sequel looks good though.

Nier is one of those games that’s definitely more than the sum of its parts. I found it affecting around the same time that I played Deadly Premonition and both games had a lot in common in terms of being deeply flawed (both technically and in design) games that still managed to rise above their limitations and really leave their stamp on my memory. I’m in for the sequel in a heartbeat.

I honestly couldn’t get into the original Nier. I gave up after 5 hours. Does it get any better?

That trailer instantly made me think of Enslaved.

I’d have liked the original game more if I liked shmups at all. But it had a lot going for it.

Yes. A lot. Especially for the second run. (You need to do two to three plays to get all the endings, but most of the time cost is in the first playthrough. You can pretty much blitz followup runs. I don’t think they even start at the beginning.)

Boss Battle

The earlier combat they showed against regular enemies looked a bit dull, but this boss fight looks like a lot of fun. I’m a bit bummed it got delayed to next year, but I guess I should have expected that.

The original NIER is one of my favorite games. I loved how constantly melancholy or bittersweet that game is. Digging into the lore after playing through the game completely was pretty interesting as well. Grimoire Nier has a rough translation, but it really adds to the story and explains how it ties into Drakengard and gives a timeline.

The earlier stuff was dumb but the quick cuts in the trailer looked fine.

That was a cool boss, though jumping over bullet patterns seems awkward. The 3D patterns look better.

Some gameplay and farting around in the debugger from E3. Looks super fluid. Weapon switching, air launchers, dodging, and adorable robot heads. The combat seems more like Devil May Cry than their other games.

The humanoid companion seems superfluous. I wish Platinum would just drop them and let us enjoy our own character.

One of the developers commenting on the bullet pattern attacks: “I actually want to create a 2D shooter but Square Enix is not allowing me to do that, so this is where I’m letting it all out.”

There is also an interview with the creators here where they show a resistance camp and more of the combat.

I love the weapon switching right from Bayonetta and the perfect dodges look pretty cool. I remember I started the first Nier on hard difficulty and absolutely hated it, but this one looks like it could have a more worthwhile hard mode, assuming it has one.

That gameplay link wasn’t working for me on iPad and I almost forgot to check it. Looks pretty incredible. I like that they mentioned exploration and light traversal. The decayed urban areas reclaimed by nature look excellent too.

I’m really excited about this now.

Steam release announced at Gamescom. Get hype, non-PS4-owning NieR and Platinum fans!

Ok, that makes me really happy.

One less reason to own a PS4. I’m down to 2.5 games now.

Cool.

Gamescom news:

This is a lot more RPG than I expected.

[quote]When pushed, Saito suggests that while it’s changing frequently during development, Automata will ultimately be around 60 percent RPG and 40 percent action game. But as the demo shows, getting that action right first has been a top priority. Square knows its RPGs, but its had a lot less luck with action. It’s the smart call.

Players shouldn’t go into Automata expecting Bayonetta levels of combat complexity. By nature it’s simpler and easier to get into, a concession Saito says has been made to ensure RPG fans aren’t alienated. The dodge window feels particularly generous, as do the basic go-to combos.[/quote]
The game should take around 25 hours. This actually makes me wonder if they’ll be able to meet the early 2017 deadline.

Still, I’m all for a great action-RPG. You have two weapons mapped to light and heavy attacks, and you can swap to another set of weapons with the D-pad. So you can bring 4 weapons quickly to bear. It should look stylish even if it’s a little easy. It sounds like they might have challenge arenas with leaderboards too.

February 23rd in Japan. We’ll have to see if that’s worldwide.

Just go ahead and clear your calendar for February.

The effects are really coming along.

Only thing I don’t like is using the gun the entire time during the combat. It makes everything look too busy. Maybe I’ll get used to it.

They still never show much of the wider RPG gameplay. I don’t know how they’re going to get this out by February.