NieR: Automata

https://img.fireden.net/v/image/1450/62/1450628682294.png

Yoko Taro doesn’t care about our suffering.

I don’t recall there being many stretches outside of the prologue where you had to go very long without an opportunity to hit a save point. And the two boss battles where I died both had mid-battle checkpoints.

This second playthrough is going in some…uh… interesting directions.

The interludes during the battle with Simone caught me off guard and were quite effective.

Can’t wait to see where it heads–though I’m starting to get an inkling about what might be touched upon in the third run.

the game after the prologue is way more managable, I think… I am now in the dessert and it has a pretty cool atmosphere … but that dammned prologue was really testing your patience… but I will see after the next boss battle…

Yes, they were. In my case, I expected something of the sort, but it was still effective. Really well executed stuff.

The game is annoyingly locked to an internal rendering resolution for me, I think it’s 900p - probably the same as the console res.

So I’m thankful for this mod, though there is word an official patch for the issue is coming at some point.

The automated installer is here, and the Steam thread with instructions is here.

After two endings, this game vaguely reminds me of Undertale.

It’s been a long time since there was a game that engrossed me as much as this, and kept me thinking about where it might go. Too bad it happened to come along at the busiest time of year for me at work.

Does anything amazing happen in the first hour of the third playthrough?

If not, this is probably a good time to stop since DS3 DLC and the SF5 free week both hit tomorrow.

I’ve already stopped Nioh to play Nier. Crazy time, and I’ve skipped half the big releases.

I’ll tell you for sure when I get there, but judging from what I’ve seen so far, I expect the answer to be “of course”.

Third “playthrough” is probably the wrong word for it, as it continues directly from the ending of the first two. It’s entirely new content, and I wouldn’t recommend stopping now. And yeah, significant stuff happens in the first hour.

anyone remembers the early quest of finding 11b (Memento)… I found her and retrieved some emails and items. How do I get back to the camp/bunker?? I am totally lost in the factory… I went several times back and forth, but can’t find the exit

Well it’s the same route you took in the prologue. The only place you can get lost is some of the shortcuts you might have unlocked. There’s a long drawbridge into a hidden room. If you keep going “north” in the top down part in the foundry you will eventually get back outside.

found it, there are some stairs leading back to the ruined city… totally forgot how I entered the factory. ugh ;) thanks

OK, I fell a bit off the waggon… I think the story is cool so far and could be something, but I did not expect this typical RPG quest structure: speak to this person, get quest, now hunt 10 somethings, then check back to the quest giver… (I am in the ruined city). Especially after the Prologue which was all (great) gameplay with enough variety… I thought this game was a different kind of RPG. Will it stay that way?

Well, I would skip all those side quests for now because you’ll eventually get fast travel which makes things easier.

The writing just barely, by the skin of its teeth, makes the fetch quests tolerable. You can still skip most of them if you don’t plan to 100% the game.

Most side quests are kind of like that, but they add interesting twists the more you go into the game. They also help in building a more complete view of the world and setting and all, so if you are interested in that, you should do as many sidequests as you can.

BTW, I’m in my second playthrough and some of the most memorable scenes in that one came from sidequests.

That said, wait until you get that blurred thing Tim James talked about. It will make things much easier. And don’t worry too much about doing side quests in your first playthrough - it will be much easier to do many of them in the second playthrough, because of reasons. ;)

wow, thanks… I just don’t like these “quest dispensers”… I always want to shout at them “why don’t you just do it yourself,huh??” … I didn’t know it was this kind of game, but I will adjust.
Also I removed the OS by accident… that was funny.

Also, I have problems reading the map. I marked some spot on the map (in the factory), and it was kind of confusing how the target moves in the map screen… maybe because of the 3D nature of the map UI

It is kind of hard to read, and there’s an NPC later in the game that might talk about that.

Anyway, it won’t be such a problem in your second playthrough, and I wonder if that’s kind of the point. This game has so many layers that sometimes I’m left wondering if something is a mistake, a design limitation, or something intentional that adds to the overall vision of the game.

have you played the original Nier? How does it compare…? I am tempted to play it too, but it does look a bit dated even for a PS3 game… but it is widely available at the moment

I started Nier: Automata as a distraction from Zelda, just to have fun… but this game looks quite meaty ;)