NieR: Automata

Yeah, if you’re that far in and are hating it, then write it off. I had encountered a wealth of “good bits” before then, but no game is for everybody.

You’re actually not far from the actual end of the game. There are a few tough fights ahead, but I don’t remember any of them being much worse than that part.

That said, by that point I was almost obsessed with knowing how the whole thing would end, and enjoying nearly every minute of it even with some problems and difficulty spikes. If you’re not, I don’t know how impactful or enjoyable it will be for you.

I got the achievement for seeing the final credits, am I done yet?

If this is Ending E then you are done. You can now go to the spoiler thread and vent there. Also, if you’re still curious about story bits, there are plenty of wikis to help explain/speculate so you don’t have to play optional bits of games to see extra story references.

Personally, I uninstalled the game from the PS4 after this point. But NieR Automata is at the top of my Steam wishlist, because I will replay it on PC one day.

Steam port still an unpatched mess?

It’s pretty janky. There’s some issues that an unofficial patch can fix. But I had other problems too, and had to restart the game periodically.

What unofficial patch do I need for this for PC?

You’ll likely want to use the “Automatic Method” outlined there.

Yep, installed. Thanks. Is there anything I should do for fixed/maxed image quality except to choose the native sized bloom? I can’t tell from the array of features unlocked by it if there’s anything (unlocking from 60fps doesn’t appear to be recommended) else I should enable/disable for optimum IQ.

In FAR you also want the native sized ambient occlusion, along with the bloom. Also lower the Global Illumination down to High, which boosts performance for neglible visual difference (can reduce stuttering).

And turn the anti-aliasing in the game itself to ‘Off’, as it’s brutally expensive and conflicts with the post-processing AA already included in the ambient occlusion technique.

A few spoilers in there I think.

On PSN sale, so picked it up. Only a couple hours in so far, but pretty transfixed. Not the deepest gameplay in the world, but I love the SHMUP blend and it is beautiful. Looking forward to more.

Weird. I loved the previous Nier on PS3 but after 5 hours I could not get into it, and ended up trading it in. Part of it was the open buildings with so little detail to them with no color variations (and yeah I get the team is small but I think they didn’t work around it smartly), the other part was the non-schmup combat. That opera singer machine was particularly infuriating for me on Normal.

Soooo, I may have picked this up on sale. I fired it up. I expected, I dunno, like a JRPG mixed with android/mech main character, etc.

I’m -minutes- into the game and I feel like I went back in time and I’m playing a 1942 complete with the top down look. Then I land, I guess, and now I feel like I’m playing the same thing only 3D-ish from the ground in some strange action RPG mix of genres.

Is this the rest of this game? Save me here, is this an actual RPG or did I pick the wrong game? I was thinking more turn based combat or atypical JRPG kinda thing. I feel like I just took a bite of the wrong flavor of starburst.

It’s an actual RPG, but it’s an action RPG, developed by a studio (Platinum) with roots in the character action genre. If you don’t typically get into that style of action (I don’t), I recommend knocking the difficulty down to easy. On easy, you can run Auto chips that will automatically handle virtually any aspect of the action for you…but you get to choose which chips you keep installed so anything you want to do manually, you can while still automating anything you don’t. I put on Auto-Dodge and left it at that. (And yes, you can still get hit. It’s better at dodging than I am, but it’s not infallible.)

Also it’s not a typical anything.

Noted. I mean, I’m not opposed to that but I had no idea that’s what the game was about. The screenshots don’t really convey that I guess.

Reading a review it does sound like it opens up not far from where I’m at.

Started playing this during the weekend (rhamorim’s praise being significant reason why).
I love the music - pure atmosphere - and story seems like it has some potential.
But damn, the game always looked anti-appealing to me (from vids and screens) and for a good reason, the environments and graphics in general is super ugly. Note that I am playing PC version in 4K with high-res texture pack, but it is still horrible from both artistic and technical perspective.
Also not super thrilled with sidequests and lack of voice acting for now.

But, most importantly, I did manage to “get into it”, I have fun with the combat and the story drives me forward.

The amusement park part was very nice too, even visually.

I hope you end loving it as much as I did, though I find that difficult. ;)

It’s one of the most impressive/effective parts of the game, in visual terms.

Now, speaking of visuals, the one part of the game that’s really, really impressive to me is 2B’s animation. It’s some of the best I’ve seen anywhere.

Yes, animations are good. Her ass is good too, though a bit distracting, so I only selfdestructed once :)

I tried to do the betrayer quest this morning, went to the red zones and didn’t find anyone there.

Then I tried to do the protect robot parade quest and the enemies had level 35 and killed me quickly.

I suppose there is no way to tell what level I should be to tackle the sidequests huh?