NieR: Automata

This game does not work well for people with families that need immediate attention.

For what it’s worth, I should add I haven’t had a single crash on the PC version yet, which has surprised me a bit given what I’ve been hearing.

Is that because it’s so good or because it has a crappy save system? :)

Yes. 5

I’m getting a few white screen “crashes” where I can still press buttons (and quicksave, thankfully) but can’t get the screen to return. I just remembered I haven’t upgraded my drivers in months, so I’ll try that.

[EDIT] That didn’t help. So far it always happens in a quicksave zone. Maybe it’s trying to access network features or load something. Let’s hope that luck holds until they fix it.

I’m only 7 hours in. So far I really like 9S as the buddy cop / Robin sidekick / amusing foil. He seems to be a central part of the various funny dialogue moments.

So far I’m completely satisfied with my decision to play on normal difficulty. I’m more interested in the RPG side of things compared to the combat. The Platinum design is more like a pleasant bonus than the main attraction.

The JRPG tropes – infinite crafting junk and dialogue dispensers – are a bit grating, but the rest of the game is good enough to overcome that.

I’m loving the game so far. It’s just so creative and with so many layers - I love that kind of storytelling in games.

Also, I really like the “plausibly surrealistic” vibe in the whole game. It’s part of the many layers I’ve been noticing so far, and I can’t wait to see how deep the rabbit hole goes, so to speak.

BTW, if you like brawlers and bullet hell games, you must play this game. ;)

Yeah I popped this in last night just to check it out and played just past the demo level I guess. I’m really liking it as well. It’s got a lot of style, the music is great, I really like the variety in how it switches perspectives. I guess my only real problem is how I’m going to find time for this, Zelda, H:ZD, and Takes of Berseria.

Tales of Berseria is really good, but you’ll need at least 40 hours to reach the ending (a lot more if you take time with sidequests, optional content, etc). It’s worth playing to the end, though, even more if you’ve played Tales of Zestiria.

So what you’re saying is that it will require the least amount of my time of those 4? :)

Hah, good point. I have no idea, really. ;)

Anyone have any extra steam codes for this for trade? I’m on Short Term Disability right now and need something to occupy my time.

My goodness. This game is delightful.

And how!

Yep, enjoying it a lot so far. Totally not what I expected at times.

This is a special game. Having finished it, it’s going to stay with me for a long time.

I feel like we’re going to want a spoiler thread for this one.

I wish I had time to play so I could see what everyone is hinting at! I think I’ll put some time in tonight.

Definitely need a spoiler thread. It’s very hard to talk about what makes this game so interesting without spoilers. I have niggles about some aspects, but ultimately they don’t matter. Even when I head out to a point of interest only to discover I can’t find a way to get to it, the journey there is fun.

My favorite plugin so far: shock wave – not necessarily for combat efficacy, but for aesthetics, especially in sidescrolling and top-down modes.

Moving around and fighting is such a pleasure.

Like Tim, I’ve ended up sticking with “normal” difficulty. It makes combat pretty easy (most of the time) at this point, but it allows me space to admire the elegance of combat acrobatics. For the next playthrough, I’m going with “hard”.

Non-spoilery comment: the animations in this game are amazing. 2B’s in particular are such a fantastic mixture of cool and badass and sexy… it’s hard to even describe. It’s awesome.