NieR: Automata

Well, so far, I have 30 hours played for all three playthroughs together. I did quite a few sidequests in all of them, so keep that in mind.

I think I’m at 25 after two. I did all the sidequests I was able to find.

I didn’t do all of them, I’m sure of that, but I did most. Playthrough 3 has quite a few of its own sidequests, so if you play on doing all of them, you’re probably looking at 10 hours or something, I’d guess. Or not. Just trying to help :-)

Are sidequests from #1/#2 available in #3? Missed a couple because the end of #2 came sooner than I had anticipated.

Some are, but I think most aren’t. Comment that I don’t consider a spoiler but some people might (and it doesn’t reveal any plot points or anything of the sort): Don’t worry, I think you might be able to play them once Chapter Select becomes available at the end of playthrough #3.

I’m at 40 hours and just started the third playthrough. I think I’ve done all the side quests. 3 has been crazy so far, loving it.

Just finished the game just now, and this whole experience will resonate with me, in my mind and my heart, for a looooong time.

What a fantastic, fantastic game. And what a terrific way to wrap it up.

Easily my GotY so far, and I really, really doubt that will change.

wow, that sounds great… I am torn between this and Zelda. Not enough time. Sad!
(is this a trumpism now, ending a sentence with “sad?” ?)

Yes. Sad!

Watched a walkthrough. Loved watching it, but I would not play it. Theres kind of …poetry in this game. I am not a fan of the emptyness of the visuals, otherwise.

Watching it and playing it are two very different experiences, much more so in the case of this game.

I’ve been thinking about Nier: Automata. I don’t think it’s the best game I’ve played, but as game experiences go, it’s the best I ever had. It’s a work of art, truly - so endearingly creative, so unabashedly demanding of your attention, so respectful of your intelligence. It also has the best ending I’ve ever experienced - and it earns that ending. It’s not a one-thing or a twist - it owns it like no other.

I was thinking of where I’d put it in my list of “favorite games” or “best games I’ve played”, but I couldn’t put it there. It stands, alone, in a new list, in which it’s the only entry.

It’s my “hors concours” list. Nothing else would be fair.

Dammit @rhamorim that’s the last thing I need to hear when I’m still in the middle of H:ZD and Zelda, with Persona 5 on the way next week!

I get the sense Nier rewards a straight play through without interruption more so than other games.

Isn’t that the truth. In particular, once you hit the carrier mission in the first two playthroughs, it just doesn’t let up until the end.

I’m about an hour into #3, and I’m running into the same problem. If I didn’t have to go to work this morning, I probably just would have blown through the whole remainder of the thing.

It does. So keep playing the games you’re playing, and when you can devote time to Nier: Automata, then play it. It’s better that way. ;)

That’s my plan for now I just wish games weren’t so long these days. I mean it tough to complain about More of a good thing but when you only have a few hours a week of free time, 60, 80, 100 hour games end up being months of dedicated game time. At this rate I’ll get to Nier sometime in…2019.

Well, do your best to avoid spoilers until then, because if there’s a game I don’t want spoiled for anyone… it’s this one.

I said the same thing to a friend yesterday. I don’t really like it for any of the reasons I typically like games, so putting it in a “best games” list feels wrong. It’s quite peculiar in the way it is arresting.

On top of all the other cool things it does right, it uses gameplay mechanics for spectacle in the way most big games use level design or art direction. I can’t think of another game that works quite like it in that regard.

Don’t get me too hyped or I’ll be disappointed! The first two playthroughs were really cool but nothing mind-blowing.

Forget I said anything. ;)

But I’ll say that the way the game wraps up (the final half hour or so) is what makes the whole of it mind-blowing, or at least it did for me.

Actually, forget I said that as well. You can reset your memory, can’t you? Or perhaps pull a recent backup from before I said anything?