Night in the Woods

I didn’t want to have to do this… but … Gregg Rulz OK?

(edit, its Gregg with two gs)

I don’t know the game myself, and I don’t understand @EdwinDeNicholas’ comment, but Night in the Woods has got a few thousand people who are “very positive” on it!

-Tom

You guys have this all wrong.

Hah, yeah. there’s that. But In all seriousness it’s one of the best games about the collapse of the middle class you will find right now. Also maybe the only one? I dunno.

I absolutely loved it up until the resolution, which dampened my overall appraisal a bit. It’ll still probably earn a spot in my personal top ten list for the year.

It’s definitely in my top three for the year. I’m replaying it again, slowly, to get some of the story that you can’t see in a single playthrough.

“Director’s cut” update released, so if you’ve been waiting, time to get in and play this gem.

Console release too, looks like.

For a game about a dying working-class town with something of a fuckup for a main character, this is super charming. I haven’t got too far in yet (about three hours, which is longer than I thought it would be), but I like what I’ve seen so far. I suppose it’s vulnerable to the criticism that it isn’t much of a game in the traditional sense. Most of it seems to be deciding who you want to hang out with, and I’m not sure how much your dialogue choices matter, but the writing’s good (and often funny) so maybe that’s okay. I’m well aware that Gregg rulz ok?, but I’ve found myself spending more time with the gothy alligator Bea since her life contrasts the main character’s a bit better.

If you’re from a smaller town, it does a stellar job of capturing that feeling of returning home from college and hanging out with your old friends who never left, and how much more mature some of them seem in comparison to your own prolonged adolescence, but also of them having an inner sadness (or bitterness) at having stayed. I hope it can keep it up until the end game.

Yeah I hung out with Bea most the first time through too. Gregg rulz ok, but I’m also 41 and Bea is more my speed.

Sooo…did anyone actually finish this thing? It’s mostly some kind of parable about being an adult, except in the third act…(big reveal)

There is a secret town cult feeding undesirables to a ‘cosmetic horror’ in a defunct mine for a blessing in continued town prosperity.

Weird game.

I did finish it. I feel that the main story was the weakest part, while the slice of life segments were strongest.

Played about an hour, didn’t see the point and certainly felt no compunction to continue. It probably didn’t help that I played it right after Oxenfree, which I thought was amazing. I was looking for another narrative game of that caliber. Turns out there isn’t one, as far as I can tell, which isn’t really Night in the Woods’ fault.

I liked the story in NitW more than the one in Oxenfree (although both are good in their own way), but I didn’t actually play NitW. I watched my girlfriend play a demo of it at the Seattle EMP Museum (as it used to be called) in, oh, 2015 I guess, and I could tell it was gonna be a platformer-walking-simulator, but I was interested enough to watch a playthrough of it, which confirmed that I enjoyed it as a kind of cartoon that could be fast forwarded if necessary but would not be enjoyable to me at all as a “game”.

As far as the, uh, “cosmetic” horror goes, I thought it was a fairly on the nose metaphor for the common feeling among The Youth of Today that their parents’ (and, I guess, grandparents’) generation has been willing to sacrifice them to the Eldritch God of Capitalism in return for a now-dubious hope at prosperity.

I didn’t actually play through Oxenfree more than once, though. I gather that some things change on repeated playthroughs? Wasn’t enough of an incentive to go back, for me, although if it’s Nier:Automata-level changes and reveals I might have to rethink that.

Hated the game. Poorly written waste of time, featuring that all too common elitism found about everywhere in the online world. It’s so bad I could only discuss how dumb I thought it was in P&R. Ew!

I loved it, and greatly preferred it to Oxenfree–but I feel that may have suffered greatly for me by having played it immediately after NitW.

I don’t know what you mean by this.

I can totally see how that would work (exactly flipped from my own experience), since they seem to be from opposite sides of the narrative games universe.