Nightfighter (boardgame) - forum game thread

Sweet thread, bro, but why don’t you link BGG, like a normal person? :P

So many more pretty pictures!

I’m a big fan of EW. How about Scenario 5B with a little Window thrown in (searchlights not radar aided, since they were jammed). If any of my fellow LW players are first-timer’s, I’d recommend assigning the ace to one of them!

I’m a first-timer, but I’m not sure you want to waste “Experte” status on me. I vote for Tom Mc!

This game is pretty brutally punishing to the average-Joe pilots. I’m pretty sure a LW NJ pilot would have a better chance of crashing on landing than finding an enemy bombe on given sortie, let alone killing him. As with much of air combat, a preponderance of the kills fell on a minority of the aviators.

In other words, as a game vet I’m happy to take the plane that’s not going to get a lot of action!

Takes a spectator seat. Pops open two beers. Hands one to Miguk.

Very nice!

@Spock, @Tom_Mc, and @AleccMG, you are ready to go. Please post your starting hex and facing, and I will start the bomber stream. It will be going from left to right, which is top to bottom on the physical map.

Just to be clear, Lee Brimmicombe-Wood’s games are about the air ops themselves, not about the niceties of flight modeling and dogfights. So the differences between an Me109 and an Fw190, for example, are minimal in this game.

I am airborne in my FW190A-5, and I am flying in hex 1004, facing direction 5. Bring it on!

Hex 1801 facing direction 4.

Tom Mc

Well guys, I’m on the east coast, so I’ve got to go to bed. I’ll be able to play most of the day tomorrow, though, so I’ll check here in the morning. Thanks!

and I thought this was Nightfighter!

and BGG says it’s best at 1-2 and only for 1-2 players. Why am I seeing 3 players in this forum game? :p

The Nazis liked to talk about “total war”, but it was only the Allies who took it to the logical extreme of not even following established bedtimes if that’s what it takes for victory.

It’s really a two-player game: one player (who runs the nightfighters) and one “umpire” who runs the bombers and controls the “blind” aspect of the game. I think that face-to-face, having each fighter controlled by a different player would be cumbersome and not very interesting, but for a forum game, it’s perfect.

There is a solo system that Phil Sabin published, as well.

I’m awake again, and thankfully my nightfighter didn’t crash while I was asleep. I think we’re still waiting for our third fighter to report his position and heading.

In the meantime, I’ve started reading the solo rules Brooski mentioned. So far I like what I see!

I have made my Bomber Entry, so you can all move your fighters as well. @AleccMG, you can make your move with your initial placement.

Hex 0102 direction 1. Using 2MP for movement to 0302, facing 3.

Alecc1a

Edit: Just re-read the rules: the bombers are still unseen, lol. I’ll post a move in a sec.

I use 5 MP to move to 1002, facing 3.

(Hex by hex: First move forward from 1004 to 0904, still facing 5; move to 0803 and turn right to facing 6; move to 0802 turn right to facing 1; move to 0902 turn right to facing 2; move to 1002 turn right to facing 3.)

Hope I got that right. Sheesh, my setup facing made my first move needlessly complicated, requiring a 300-degree turn to the right! Live and learn.

Edit: With that, I’m off to bed. Will check in in the morning.

Move two spaces to 1602 facing 4 again.

Tom Mc