Nightfighter (boardgame) - forum game thread

I’m going to hope “my” bomber displaced Center. I fly straight and level ahead three hexes, from 1014:3 to 1017:3.

You guys need more vitamin A in your diets.

Optional rule!

GAME TURN 6 CONTINUED

The nightfighters scramble to home in on fleeting contacts…

German nightfighters of JG300.
@Tom_Mc moves to 16102:3
@AleccMG moves to 0607:3
@Spock moves to 1017:3

Flak Phase:
All three Wilde Sau nightfighters are in a searchlight zone.
Flak roll 1,2
Nightfighters avoid flak.

Radar Search Phase: Skipped per scenario rule.

AI Search Phase: Skipped per scenario rule.

Searchlight Phase:
Searchlights in Zones A, B, D, E, F, G, and K report the presence of Allied bombers. Visibility is Moderate (2 dice). No moon modifier.

Zone A roll: 6,6
Searchlights in this zone are unable to fix any bombers.

Zone B roll: 2,4
Searchlights in this zone obtain a fix on a bomber in hex 0903.

Zone C maintains searchlight fix on bomber in hex 1506.

Zone D roll: 1,1
Searchlights in this zone obtain a fix on a bomber in hex 0608.

Zone E roll: 6,6

Zone F roll: 5,6

Zone G roll: 3,4

Zone I maintains searchlight fix on bomber in hex 1612.

Zone K roll: 2,3

Tally Phase
No fighters have a tally as of yet so there are no tallies to maintain. Visibility is Moderate (2 dice). No moon modifier.
Tally Roll is 5,3
All of a sudden, the silhouette of a bomber rears up large in @Tom_Mc’s canopy. “Verflucht noch mal!”, shouts our Experte pilot. @AleccMG sees a fixed bomber come into focus about a mile ahead of him, but keeps his thoughts to himself.

Combat Phase:
There is one combat. @Tom_Mc lines up his shot on the Lancaster bomber in hex 1612.
[17.4] Bomber response: die roll is 2. Bomber is not Alerted, so there is no modifier and no response. They don’t know what’s about to hit them.
Firepower is 4. Modifier is +2 for Experte pilot.
die roll is 1,5 = 6 + 4 + 2 = 12
Both port engines light up as @Tom_Mc scores a direct hit. As he maneuvers for his next shot, he can see he also hit the fuselage as debris flies past his canopy.
Lancaster takes 3 hits.

End of Turn
Searchlight markers are removed from Zones A, B, D, E, F, G, and K.
It is now Game Turn 7.

GAME TURN 7

Move Bombers Phase: All bombers move 3MP. Move completed on umpire’s map. After 1 MP expended, there is an attempted handoff from Zone C->F in hexes 1506->1507: die rolls are 2,4,1,6
Fix is lost. Bomber marker secretly displaced as per 16.0.

After next MP expended, there is an attempted handoff from Zone L->O in hexes 1618->1619: die rolls are 6,6,6,6
WTF

After next MP expended, there is are two attempted handoffs:

Zone D->G in hexes 0610->0611: die rolls are 2,3,4,5
Fix is maintained.

Zone I->L in hexes 1614->1615: die rolls are 2,2,6,6
Fix is lost!

I have a question for @AleccMG here. The bomber loses its fix, but it still has a tally. Tallies are lost after corkscrews, and per 16.0, loss of searchlight fix displaces a bomber as in a corkscrew. But it is not actually a corkscrew. Does the bomber …

…displace and stay under a tally marker, or
…displace and become hidden?

I have played as if the former but I may be wrong.

I will wait to post the second screen (after bomber movement) until I hear your opinion.

I think I have the answer. Since the bomber is outside of visual range, the Tally will be lost at the beginning of the Tally Phase unless the fighter moves within range in the Move Fighters Phase. I will post the second screen accordingly.

I believe this to be the correct rule implementation, but I’d have to check.
Edit:correct. Per 16.0, the displacement doesn’t happen if there is another tally or fix marker. Tally to be maintained per 10.2.

For my movement, I close in on my bomber! Should be 0611:3. Close in for the kill!

Thanks for the reply. The updated map has been posted.

Ok, hopefully 3 forward to 1615 facing 3 will continue the attack.

Tom Mc

I’m stubbornly going to pursue “my” bomber. Straight ahead three hexes, from 1017:3 to 1020:3.

For the game meta, it’s thpically better to not pursue an undamaged bomber that corkscrews. You just don’t have enough time. It’s usually better to race to the top of the map and try for the next one!

Ah, because even if I hit it, I won’t kill it? I hadn’t thought of that.

Alas, I’m too busy wrapping presents to modify my move now, so I guess I’ll just stick with it and then turn around next turn.

I am out of town for a couple days, so you have the leisure of thinking over your move. Unlike actual nightfighter pilots.

In that case, I’ll change my move. From 1017:3 to 1018:4, 0919:5, 0818:6, 0817:6, 0816:6. I don’t think I get an extra move this turn, but if I do, one more move to 0815:6.

Edit: I’ll also be out of town the next few days, but I’ll be checking in daily with my iPad, so I should still be able to play.

Ok, sorry for the delay, all. Posting move in a few minutes.

Suddenly, the night sky over Hamburg reveals the raiders …

German nightfighters of JG300.
@Tom_Mc moves to 1615:3
@AleccMG moves to 0611:3
@Spock moves to 0816:6

Flak Phase:
All three Wilde Sau nightfighters are in a searchlight zone.
Flak roll 2,5
Nightfighters avoid flak.

Radar Search Phase: Skipped per scenario rule.

AI Search Phase: Skipped per scenario rule.

Searchlight Phase:
Searchlights in Zones C,D,E, F, H, I, L, N, and O report the presence of Allied bombers. Visibility is Moderate (2 dice). No moon modifier.

Zone B maintains fix on bomber in hex 0906.

Zone C roll: 6,1
Searchlights in this zone obtain a fix on a bomber in hex 1403.

Zone D roll: 5,1
Searchlights in this zone obtain a fix on a bomber in hex 0309.

Zone E roll: 2,6

Zone F roll: 3,1
Searchlights in this zone obtain a fix on a bomber in hex 1409.

Zone G maintains fix on bomber in hex 0611.

Zone H roll: 4,6

Zone I roll: 4,6
Searchlights in this zone obtain a fix on a bomber in hex 1711.

Zone J roll: 1,4

Zone L roll: 2,5
Searchlights in this zone obtain a fix on a bomber in hex 1615.

Zone N roll: 4,3
Searchlights in this zone obtain a fix on a bomber in hex 1120.

Zone O roll: 3,1

Tally Phase
@AleccMG maintains Tally on Lancaster in hex 0611. @Tom_Mc maintains Tally on Lancaster in hex 1615 . Visibility is Moderate (2 dice). No moon modifier.
Tally Roll is 6,4
The sky around @Spock remains dark.

Combat Phase:
There are two combats. @AleccMG comes from dead astern to pounce on the Lancaster bomber in hex 0611*.
[17.4] Bomber response: die roll is 2. Bomber is not Alerted, so there is no modifier and no response. Their airspace is still clear, to them.
Firepower is 4. No modifiers.
die roll is 3,6 = 9 + 4 = 13
The Messerschmidt shells must have hit a wing fuel tank. A flash erupts between the two starboard engines, and then the entire right side of the aircraft vanishes and hurls the fuselage earthward.
Lancaster takes 4 hits. Bomber is shot down (1).

@Tom_Mc watches the searchlight play off the bomber in hex 1615*. He focuses on the starboard engines, as the port two are already trailing flame.
[17.4] Bomber response: die roll is 3. Bomber is not Alerted, so there is no modifier and no response.
Firepower is 4. Modifier is +2 for Experte pilot.
die roll is 5,3 = 8 + 4 + 2 = 14

The starboard engines suffer the same fate as the ones on the other side. The Lancaster takes 4 hits. With 3 hits from the previous turn, the Lanc disintegrates in midair. Bomber is shot down (2).

End of Turn
Searchlight markers are removed from Zones A, B, D, E, F, G, and K.
It is now Game Turn 8.

GAME TURN 8

Move Bombers Phase: All bombers move 3MP. After 1 MP expended, there is an attempted handoff from Zone B->E in hexes 0906->0907: die rolls are 4,4,2,2
Fix is maintained and passed to Zone E.

After next MP expended, there are two attempted handoffs:
one from Zone D->G in hexes 0310->0311 and one in Zones F->I in hexes 1410->1411

die rolls in Zone D->G handoff are 4,3,6,6

die rolls in Zone F->I handoff are 2,4,5,5

After next MP expended, there is one more attempted handoff:
Zone N->Q in hexes 1122->1123: die rolls are 5,5,6,6

Enter Bombers Phase: Three bombers enter as per scenario rules. These can move 1, 2, or 3 hexes on the first turn. Move completed on umpire’s map.

Move Fighters Phase:
Players to move

I am posting the board position again down here after the Move Bombers Phase of Game Turn 8 so you don’t have to keep scrolling up so far.

5 mps to left loop and end in 1715 facing 4.

Tom Mc

@Brooski, do we need to roll for flash or follow-down on @Tom_Mc or myself? Need to make sure we don’t loose our night-sight or foolishly follow our wreck out of our altitude band …

Edit: See 17.3 Aircraft Destruction

It’s an even-numbered turn, so I think I can move six hexes. I fly straight six hexes and turn right after the final move, leaving me in 0810:1.

(Do you want hex-by-hex paths, Bruce?)