Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection

That looks great. I tried playing one of these previously, and aside from being really freakin hard, that camera movement was just insane. Looking at that trailer, it looks like there is even more camera movement. Did these games have an option for player controlled camera?

I see that you fall in the same category as my friends who finished the game with me (we passed the controller back and forth until we finished Ninja Gaiden). I have to admit, there were certain sections that I don’t think I would have gotten past without their help, with their memorization of moves.

Well, after a lot of soul google searching and some thinking about it, I just went ahead and bought Ninja Gaiden Black for the 360 I have laying around to play Radiant Silvergun on, instead, since it was $10 and folks seem to find it superior to the Sigma version.

Well, you didn’t say you liked any of those other games you listed, so probably not? Hah. The challenge is part of the draw (the other part is being a ninja superhero) so if Sekiro looked too difficult for you, I would steer clear.

They’re going to look like 10-15 year old console games where an intern went into config.ini and changed the screen resolution.

Yes, but not in the modern sense. Watch the video I posted on the movement tutorial to see how it works. The sequels introduced a modern camera but it’s less efficient to use it that way.

I realize you’re being a bit of a Rock8man here, but to be clear to everyone, there aren’t a ton of moves to memorize. XYXXXY is the Izuna drop, one of the most famous moves in action gaming. Each weapon has 2 or 3 really efficient attacks you’ll want to rely on to get past the hardest difficulty levels. Other than that, you just kind of mash buttons for what feels fun.

That’s a good plan. The emulation is pretty good and it looks tolerable in 720p.

Lol. I did like the soulsborne games. They are among my favorite. I also started Nioh as a result of looking at this thread, and I’m just past the intro level a few hours in, but so far I’m enjoying it. Still, NG sounds like something I can pick up on sale, or for the Switch if I go on vacation.

Not the fanciest port you’re ever going to see, folks.

Not a problem as long as it works. But what does Japan have against 1440p?

Beats me, 4k is 4x the size of 1080p, and the same is true for 720p → 1440p, so I don’t see a big technical obstacle here.

The Corporation didn’t approve of it, simple as that.

I can report that everything works and looks fine. It’s fun having these games on PC even though I’ve played them on console and emulators.

The only disappointment is the third game still looks like crap. Too many trashy post processing effects that didn’t get scaled up with the resolution. I guess it will never look decent.

I started playing Black today. Unstoppable ninja badass, indeed! I can tell this is going to be a good one, but the game has taught me almost nothing about how to play. Was 2004 still early enough for it to be one of those, “please read the manual” games? For example I did some kind of awesome combo that made the camera zoom in on my multiple cuts, but I have absolutely no idea how I accomplished this.

The manual is like 10 pages of how to use left to go left (at least the EU version).
It’s a game I never could play at the time, getting pwned over and over, and when I tried again last year I blasted through a little chunk of it no issue, thanks to the From Software training I guess.
There is a lot of unintuitive stuff that you can’t really figure on your own if not told, imo (the thing about the charging and the most useful combos). Ask TimJames.

I was also watching a stream and someone in there put it nicely: “NGB is a game about fighting enemies you don’t see”.

Edit:

The early part of that pdf does a good job explaining the essence gamble - the charging I mentionned previously.

Edit 2: Oh Tim already linked a tutorial in here, nevermind!

Koei Tecmo ports have been among the worst of Japanese games ported to PC.

Glad you’re enjoying NGB, @Kolbex.

That guide has a walkthrough later with some boss spoilers and stuff.

The movement tutorial you linked is probably best after a few hours with the game. It’s not necessary at the beginning. It’s pretty helpful for a certain boss midgame that tends to destroy new players.

I recommend you continue to play and pick things up as you discover them. The kunai scrolls have some hints. There’s a move list in the menu for each weapon. If you want a basic breakdown of some mechanics, a forum post like this might help: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/928401-ninja-gaiden-black/43604263

JayTB123 has some other excellent tutorials, probably best once you’ve completed the game for the first time. He spends 36 minutes talking about the ultimate technique system you discovered, and 31 minutes analyzing every move in the starting weapon, so there’s a lot of depth to consider once you know how to play.

One thing not mentioned that I really like: press X+A at the same time to jump toward the nearest enemy. Perfect to setup Flying Swallow.

This is so far proving hilariously true. Walked into an area, no enemies. Walked down a short dead end to grab an item, and when I came back to the first area the only warning I had that enemies were about to shank me was one of their sword tips poking into the frame from behind me.

I was taught just yesterday a trick against the wizards, that if you keep them off camera you can crowdcontrol them as they won’t shoot at you if you’re not watching them.
It is a good game.

I just got to the boss samurai on the bridge in Hayabusa Village. Does he have a neverending supply of those ninja casters? I hate those guys so much, and I also kinda hate how you get sealed into a room with X number of dudes, but you kill them and more just appear out of thin air (not just something I dislike in this game, btw, it’s also a Devil May Cry thing).

Normal difficulty doesn’t usually have minions in the boss fights like that. Those guys are actually there to help generate blue essence to heal you and charge up your ultimate technique instantly to attack the horse.

If you’re really stuck: if you sit in a corner and turn your camera to the wall, they won’t usually bother you.

Speaking of which, I watched a friend stream the new version two days ago on hard mode, and during that fight, the wizards would drop red orbs like crazy, but hardly ever blue ones. Odds, uh.

Chapters 1 & 2: ok, ninjas, castles, villages, samurai…pretty normal stuff.

Chapter 3: clearly this represents an, ah, alternate continuity.