Nintendo 3DS accessories and games recommendations

I hear you. I find myself in a strange mental place where I’m sitting on a couple of 3DS games because I don’t want to find myself in a position where I’ve played my “last” one. So I actually own Majora’s Mask, A Link Between Worlds, and Super Mario 3D Land 2 and have not yet played any. Though in my defense I’m part way through Ocarina of Time and wanted to finish that before I move onto other Link games, and I’m still kind of occasionally playing Super Mario 3D Land and who knows may one day get to the second one. Yeah I know, I’m weird.

Yeah I take mine too and from work every day on the bus just for that purpose as well, and I never actually play it unless I’m at home. Still get a few hits most days!

If you want a North American version of the normal-sized New 3DS, you can get the Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer Bundle for $180 + tax at Walmart for Cyber Monday. That’s $40 off MSRP and the same price the the XL is/has been going for over Black Friday weekend.

Even if you couldn’t care less about Animal Crossing, that’s currently the only way to get a “normal” new 3DS in the US. I just hope you like white. And adorable faceplates.

Good news for anyone interested in homebrew on the 3ds: The current firmware is hackable, and it’s possible to downgrade it to the last version that has full system access. That means more powerful programs can be developed and run.

The guide I’m using: http://pastebin.com/EBKipkPW

[I]Monster Hunter Generations[/I] announced at Nintendo Direct, for release this summer.

This is the game released in Japan as [I]Monster Hunter X[/I] in November last year. It looks like we’re getting it earlier than usual, possibly because it isn’t the usual ‘G’ version upgrade?

Also no word on separate release dates for US/Euro, but thankfully the previous iteration was simultaneous so hopefully this will be the case again.

I just bought the “New Nintendo 3DS XL” and combed through this thread for gaming purchase recommendations. Here’s my current list (in no particular order), please let me know what I’m missing!

[B]Purchased: [/B]
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Fire Emblem: Awakening

[B]Wishlist:[/B]
Xenoblade Chronicles
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Super Mario 3D Land
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Boxboy
Pokemon X
Mario Kart 7
Shovel Knight
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

[B]On the fence: [/B]
Elite Beat Agents
Ghost Trick
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
Rune Factory 4

Box Boy is really good, but man do I feel silly playing this 2d black and white stick-figure game on my fancy New 3DS XL.

In the unlikely event you need anything other than Monster Hunter, here’s a couple more - Bravely Default/Second, Fantasy Life, Pokemon Omega (newer than X/Y), Persona Q, & maybe something Etrian Odyssey.

Or you could just wait until near the end of the year and get one of the new Pokemon games when they’re released.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far folks (Profanicus, I’ve added your mentions to my wishlist.)

Any notable gems within the smaller, downloadable games available via the Nintendo Shop?

In some senses it is newer, and in others it is not. X and Y are the most recent “new” Pokemon games, Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby are remakes of older Pokemon games that were made after X and Y. As such, they have most of the features of X and Y and even some new features that are nice, but the overall design of the game is still ten years old. So for example, Ruby and Sapphire make heavier use of HMs like Surf to get around the map, which isn’t a major problem but it is kind of grating after the way later games are designed. And until you finish the campaign you are limited to only seeing Pokemon that existed back when the originals came out.

I own X and Sapphire and I love both games, but I actually think X&Y is a better starting point.

Theatrhythm was my most played game last gear on the 3DS (By Far, TM). I love rhythm games and Final Fantasy music, though. Also really liked the Hatsune Miku game that came out late last year.

You might want to add Ghost Recon Shadow Wars to your list. It’s designed by some strategy game guy, Julian Gollop. I wonder if he’s done anything else?

The Pushmo series (called Pushblox over here).

(Cross-posted from the Wii U thread)

Are you looking to expand your 3DS (and Wii U) library on the cheap? Humble Bundle just announced the Friends of Nintendo Bundle.

Pay $1:
Retro City Rampage DX (3DS)
Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U)
Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse (Wii U+3DS)

Pay more than the average:
Freedom Planet (Wii U)
Rhythm Thief and the Emperor’s Treasure (3DS)
Citizens of Earth (Wii U or 3DS)
Retro City Rampage 3DS menu theme

Pay $13 or more:
Super Street Fighter IV 3D (3DS)
Darksiders II (Wii U)

Hey have you guys heard of Super Metroid? This game is pretty rad.

I haven’t used my 3DS in a while, but the Metroid announcements from E3 motivated me to finally grab Super Metroid on the 3DS virtual console since I’ve never actually played it. I’ve almost wrapped it up now and I’ve really enjoyed it so I’m looking for something else along these lines for my 3DS—another “Metroidvania”.

Cave Story is another one I’ve heard about but never gotten around to, so that’s my tentative next move. Anyone got any other recommendations? Something I can grab off the eShop is a plus, but cartridges are fine too as long as they’re still easy enough to track down.

The DS Castlevania games are super. Order of Ecclesia was the last one IIRC.

Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of Cave Story. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for, but off the top of my head, I’d say all the 2D DS Castlevanias (e.g. Aria of Sorrow) worked better for me. Metroid Zero Mission as well, although that might only be available through the stupid Nintendo Ambassador program.

The 3DS Castlevanias were less good, IIRC.

It looked like Zero Mission was only available on the Wii U Virtual Console. As for Cave Story, I wouldn’t really say I know what I’m looking for, I just know it gets talked about a lot.

Yeah, the 3DS never got GBA VC - it’s not fast enough to do accurate GBA emulation, and the Ambasador Program games run by putting the system into DS mode, so they don’t have any VC features.

Honestly, my recommendation would be to play the original freeware version of Cave Story on PC and then replay Super Metroid for the rest of your life. The rest of that genre is just so disappointing in comparison.