Nintendo announces Wii MotionPlus

First big surprise of E3?

Nintendo’s upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player’s arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo’s commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eMMuRj_N6vntHPDycCJAKWhEO9zBvyPH

So what does it actually do?

It adds an additional accelorator, giving them the possibility to calculate full motion/twists (ie, a LOT more accurate). The early pre-E3 announcement is without a doubt because they know microsoft will announce their motion controller in 2 hours.

Most of the things you heard about that “the wii mote can’t do that”, will now be possible.

Yup E-phonk, you nailed it. This pretty much guarantees a MS motion controller in my mind. Either way we’ll find out in a few hours.

Now let’s hope Nintendo follows up tomorrow with some sort of lightsaber game announcement and Wii Sports 2.

I like the move to try and steal some of Microsoft’s thunder. They are gonna be in real trouble if their rumored motion controller is just a wiimote knock-off with no real advantages.

Yeah, but how many current Wii owners are going to go out and buy it? Knowing Nintendo, they’ll package it with a game, but still…

Edit: NVM, live feeds just about everywhere. Heh.

Normally I would’ve predicted no Wii Sports 2 - but with this announcements I expect a bundle - and Wii Sports 2 is the perfect way to get this in at least 10 million houses as soon as possible.

At minimum Microsoft has HD graphics that’s a real advantage right there. I know I’d play my Wii a lot more if so many of the games on it didn’t look so crappy. HD Graphics + Wiimote = Happy Gamer. Just as an example, after playing Resident Evil with the Wiimote, I do not want to go back to playing with a standard controller. On the other hand, if RE5 was released on the Wii, it would tough making the choice to put up with crap graphics so I could use the Wiimote.

Great, more Wii accessories. I’m gonna wind up with more plastic bits for this system than any system in the past. Shit I think I have, even counting all the 360 Rock Band/Controller/Charging stuff.

Also, according to rumours, sony seems to have a motion controller to show tomorrow.

Sword game, sword games, sword games.

It is a controller… that tracks your motion!! It is going to totally revolutionize the way we game!

(I still think sony needs to release a motion controller for the PS2… Immense market-share + Wii Ports = $$$)

As cool as that sounds, is it going to be satisfying without feedback? Or will rumble be enough?

You mean when your opponent blocks you you won’t feel it? I think that could be solved by a bit of rumble, but I’m not sure how they’d do deflections. I’d say your sword could bounce off his, but then how would it handle orientation? You’d have to have a game where no matter where you pointed your sword it would be ok, it’d just be blocked if it didn’t connect. I’m not sure how’d you do that exactly but I’d like to see them try.

Given the ‘extension’ to the remote, presumably it won’t fit in all the existing wheel/zapper holders.

Not the greatest problem in the world admittedly…

So what amazing piece of technology is in that cube that couldn’t have been included in the original controller?

I sure hope these will be free with a great game … Though that would still leave me three short.

Three years ago nintendo was in an uncertain position - they had to make sure it was cheap enough to produce, the price per accelometer was still high etc…
Fast forward 3 years and Nintendo knows on what scale they are producing wiimotes now, at a much lower cost and newer technology.

And flush with cash on top of that, I suppose. That’s fair reasoning.

Still, I hope they keep the goodwill flowing by offering these damn cheaply. I’ve already invested quite a bit into the thing … And I love it. But …

Why not just come out with WiiMote 2’s or something with this integrated, because my Wii Accessories are getting a little out of hand here…

Extra large Wii condoms for everyone!

Also, coming soon: A new Sensor Bar that attaches to the Sensor Bar that makes the Sensor Bar work!