Nintendo DS - how come it's so great?

Yeah, but now you can see Nell’s legs. You lose, and yet everybody wins. Except woman-hating fags maybe.

Good point, well made.

The DS will be awesome for pinball.

Impressions of Yoshi’s Touch and Go, which is what Kitsune described earlier. At first I thought ‘Oh Christ, another fucking Yoshi game - new material please, assholes’, and then I looked at the screens and thought ‘I don’t like the way the clouds look when you draw them, and they should have just used the Yoshi sprite from Yoshi’s Island because that’s way better’. And that made me realise that this is essentially a true follow-up to that game, which is awesome. Then I read the impressions, and the game sounds really fun. It also has to win some kind of award for most irritatingly clever title ever.

Special plea to Yoshi’s Touch and Go developers: I want to be able to draw Yoshi’s tongue to eat bad guys in order to turn them into eggs. Don’t try to tell me that wouldn’t be great, because it would.

Does anyone else want Zoo Keeper as much as I do?

Oh and could someone go and bring Tom Chick to this thread? We need a snappy, witty comment about the DS!

-Kitsune

And give him a smack on the back of the head from me. I can’t stand that pretentious jerk.

So how does that game work, anyway? It looks like a cross between Bejewelled and Baku Baku Animal.

Saw some video on Gamespot of the Metroid game. While it looked cool, the idea of holding the DS with your left hand on the outer end while pushing the d-pad and pushing down with the stylus with the right just screams of wrist problems.

Yea don’t see how using the stylus for any period of time would be comfortable. With a PDA your holding it in the palm of your hand. Being on the edge like that would seem to become uncomfortable after a bit.

From what I hear there are two control schemes for Hunters, one uses the stylus and the other doesnt.

Touch mode is like pen mode, but adapted for finger instead of stylus and can be set for lefties or righties.

Images from Gamespot.

Apparently it’s fun to control the morph ball with the stylus, but I think it was made for trackball. I demand a PC port!

Check this re: the analog stick (from Penny Arcade)

we had a chance to see an odd little carrying strap today that doubles as a kind of stylus. When Robert Nintendo (I’m spacing on his name) tried to demo it for us, it wasn’t working properly - but that’s not the strap’s fault. Essentially, it has loop you can cinch around your thumb, with a tiny plastic nubbin on one side that acts as a focus point for the touch screen. The case they were trying to make for it was in Super Mario DS, where it could be used in lieu of the d-pad as a kind of analog controller. It may sound odd, but there will be control scenarios where you might take a liking to it. For me, the motion recalls using a fingerpick.