Nintendo DS Price Cut?

I’m about to plunk down the cash for a DS - damn you Advance Wars - and I get the feeling I read about an upcoming price cut for it? Did I imagine this?

Thanks.

I believe the price cut coincided with the release of Advance Wars and Nintendogs, from $150 to $130.

Thanks man.

Yeah, it’s already $129.99. Some places have a free Super Mario 64 DS deal even at that price. Check around!

–Dave

Thanks Dave, i’ll do that.

One more question - is there any reason to hang onto my GBA? Otherwise I think I’ll trade it it in.

Thanks.

if its an SP I would but thats just me. if its a GBA then no.

If you use it as an accessory for any Gamecube games such as Crystal Chronicles or PacMan World, then yes, you’ll want to hang on to it. The DS does not have Gamecube connectivity.

Only if you want to play Gameboy and Gameboy Color games since the DS doesn’t support those.

Or if you ever want to use a GBA flash cart that does not come with a hardware flasher.

All of the above plus you can’t play multiplayer GBA games on the DS (unless it’s like Advance Wars where you can take turns with the same machine I guess). There’s no link port so you can’t connect to another GBA or the Cube.

Yeah, the one thing I don’t get about the DS design is why they didn’t have the wireless emulate the GBA cable. It doesn’t seem like it would be that hard.

Yeah, the one thing I don’t get about the DS design is why they didn’t have the wireless emulate the GBA cable. It doesn’t seem like it would be that hard.[/quote]

My understanding is that the GBA and the DS systems run at different voltages, so perhaps the wireless system is not accessible to the GBA internal hardware. OTOH, I have heard of Metriod Pinball using the GBA slot for a rumble device (and hackers using a GBA flashcart to run DS software), so there is some level of interaction possible.

Even if it’s not compatible with the GBA wireless stuff, kudos to Nintendo and Sony for using industry-standard wireless protocols. Proprietary stuff is almost always less useful in the long run.

I’ve also read that having Advance Wars 1 or 2 in the GBA slot will unlock some new wallpapers in Advance Wars DS but I haven’t tried that myself.

Even if it’s not compatible with the GBA wireless stuff, kudos to Nintendo and Sony for using industry-standard wireless protocols. Proprietary stuff is almost always less useful in the long run.

Too bad the DS doesn’t even support WEP, let alone WPA.

Can’t that be done in software if someone were to release a browser?

I doubt it, it’s usually a driver/firmware issue.

That’s weak. No way am I removing my WEP so that the DS can talk to my 802.11 router.

doesnt matter right now anyways as no games use it.

Well thanks everyone. Considering I probably wouldn’t get much for trade in value on my GBA SP, I guess I’ll just keep it.

Anyway I’m looking forward to getting my hands on the DS now that I’ve decided to get one. Advance Wars is one of my favorite games in last few years and it sounds like the new one is a pretty solid title.