Nintendo DS Price Drop

Yup, I’d never heard of it until I read this thread but I’ll definitely have to pick that up.

…What we played of Sigma Star Saga felt pretty good, though we were surprised to learn that the game was scheduled to be done in just a matter of months, as it still seemed as though it required quite a bit of tuning and balancing.

Danger Will Robinson, danger!

I demand more test subjects to buy at release to evaluate.

You’re loony. It’s got an 85% so far at Gamerankings.

Wow, Sigma Star Saga looks RIGHT up my damned alley, and I really want Advance Wars. Looks like I’ll be getting one of these puppies (along with Nintendogs, so pun intended) soon.

DS drop in the week of my being laid off? It’s a sign, er, for Wholly Schmidt. :)

I had actually been mulling over getting a portable system to play around with on the long commute to work. Alas, now that the commute is over, the justification isn’t there anymore. The DS was the leading candidate, though. A price drop now is still an evil temptation.

Not only is it cheaper but it smells less and won’t destroy anything you accidentally leave on the floor overnight. ;)

Sign me up for SSS, too. I love my shooters.

That’s been my problem for some time now. When I no longer had a 30 minute commute to work by bus, my GBA would sit unused for the most part, which is making it hard for me to justify any new portable purchase to myself.

Sure, I could use it at home, but since I’m already there, my computer or regular consoles are just as available, so they get the attention first.

It’d be interesting to see just how important the “use for commuting entertainment” reason is for sales of gaming portables to people outside of high school.

I don’t know why but I prefer to read on the train, and I mostly use my GBA to play in bed. I thought it would be the contrary, but go figure. :shock:

The price drop and the new colours are a good thing as i’m tempted by the DS, especially for Advance Wars… I just hope the drop will also occur in Europe, maybe to counter the release of the PSP (due in september if I remember correctly).

I play my portables before I go to bed. It works pretty good actually.

That one with the toy soldiers and model tanks? Cheezy.[/quote]

Suddenly I’m imagining you in overalls with a straw hat and a piece of hay in your mouth.[/quote]

Insidious west coast bias. We screen for overalls at the city border.

I tried that as well, but found myself staying up later than I should, versus reading a book. I suspect the games make it easier to get just enough adrenaline going to keep me awake longer.

I tried that as well, but found myself staying up later than I should, versus reading a book. I suspect the games make it easier to get just enough adrenaline going to keep me awake longer.

Yeah I have noticed this as well. Thats what I really love about the psp though is that I can just put it to sleep with out having to save it or anything.

My DS and PSP almost never leave the house. It’s pretty much the only way I can play a game while I’m in the same room with my wife.

This weekend proved that the DS purchase in July was worth it. It was tax-free day in MA, and the girlfriend was finally going to buy a Mac, which she’s been talking about since last September (and we’ve made two previous trips to the Apple store that didn’t result in purchases because she “needed to do more research.”)

So I put the DS in my man-purse and we headed to the mall, where we met a friend of mine who wanted to hang out and do some shopping too. As the girlfriend spent two hours loading gigantic digital photographs on every single machine in the Apple store, my friend and I sat on a bench in the mall playing Kirby and Fire Emblem. In fact, my friend got through a Fire Emblem level that I’ve been trying to get through for weeks.

Eventually I checked on the girlfriend to make sure she wasn’t feeling either neglected or pressured (hell, we were having fun, take as long as you want), and it turned out that my educator’s discount was better than her work discount. So I ended up saving her another $300 or something, and because I was goofing around at checkout and said, “Hey, can I have a free iPod?” the guy said “Uh, yeah, you can.” I got a free iPod mini for my trouble.

The purpose of the DS was to allow my girlfriend guilt free shopping time, and it worked in spades this weekend. She still feels like we had “time together” and I got to play my games. Hell, my friend even had fun.

The purpose of the DS was to allow my girlfriend guilt free shopping time, and it worked in spades this weekend. She still feels like we had “time together” and I got to play my games. Hell, my friend even had fun.

I wish more chicks where like that.

Is that all it takes? :?

Seems like a better deal than actually, y’know, paying for the thing.

Yeah, I thought so too. They had a deal for students-- buy a computer, get a free iPod mini. I was goofing with the guy, and apparently because I’m an educator I qualified. The the girlfriend got a Powerbook and I got an iPod mini.

It was a rebate kind of deal, so I did pay for it and now have to send in all the paperwork and get my $180 back, but I’m willing.

My girlfriend got a free printer too. I guess the markups on Macs are good enough to cover that sort of thing.

It’s not the markup on the Mac that makes it an easy business decision to give you the printer for free, it’s the markup on the printer itself, and more importantly, the markup on all the ink you’re going to be buying for it.