Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Yes, six months into its lifetime.

Toss in a game and a Pro controller and we can talk, but it would take some seriously disappointing sales velocity to get them to throw together stuff that costs $430 at launch for around $300.

That is really the problem, for me, about the Switch. It is just too damn expensive at launch. 360 bucks minimum on launch day.

If they had said, all VC titles you bought on the 3ds and Wii U can be played on this new portable system Day 1, I would have pre-ordered.

I just know they are going to fuck over the people with large VC libraries again.

The fact that this system is less than one month from launch and Nintento still hasn’t provided any official statement on this question does not inspire confidence.

I really want to like you Nintendo, but you are making it really hard.

And yet that’s what happened with their last two hardware launches.

Video grab from the guy who got the 2 week early pre-order shows purchases tied to account, rather than hardware:

edit: added full image

Awesome. That’s a step in the right direction. I wonder how hard it is to unlink… mostly thinking of when you get rid of or lose a console.

That was definitely a huge hassle with the Wii U – the unofficial solution was “don’t sell or lose your device, idiot” which was way better than the official solution of having to call support and wait a few days to a week to use your new device.

Well you can initialise to unlink, as seen above… that covers selling. Losing, I’m not so sure. :)

Nintendo used to have some of the lowest fail rates with MSFT at the top end. I assume that hasn’t changed, so it isn’t a huge issue but… I also didn’t walk around with my Wii in hand.

Yeah, I’ve never had a failed (or dropped) Nintendo handheld either though… and I’ve had most of them!

Giant Bomb played 1-2-Switch. Definitely fun to watch, no clue about playing it:

That’s a great demonstration of how accurate the joy cons are, and do much better than Wiimotes but lol at paying $50 for that game

Apparently Drew is now a bona fide meme. It was on Mashable and everything.

I totally agree - it soooo seems like a packaged game like wii sports…
makes me NOT want to get it day 1.

When the bundles discussed above finally come, a game like 1-2 Switch or Arms is what I would expect to see bundled with the Switch, not Zelda or Mario.

Turns out the ‘early pre-order’ Switch in the wild recently was from a small batch of stolen units, illegally resold.

Nintendo has determined these units were stolen in an isolated incident by employees of a U.S. distributor, with one system being illegally resold. The individuals involved have been identified, terminated from their place of employment and are under investigation by local law enforcement authorities on criminal charges.

I don’t understand why someone would risk their job and their freedom over something so small.

Stupidity is one hell of a drug.