Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I still don’ know if there are enough games out for me just yet. But, with Nintendo’s stock issues, and the rabid popularity of these things, I figured I better get one now if I want to play Splatoon 2 in July.

I had to jump at it.

1 day shipping free, will be here tomorrow, already on a truck headed my way.

Gamestop did free 1 day shipping for you? They charged me $20 for 4 day.

No, sorry, I got it via Amazon, with prime it was 1 day.

Oh I just got this email.

Thank you for choosing GameStop.com.

We are currently reviewing your order #############. While this review may take up to 12 hours, our goal is to complete our review and release your order as quickly as possible. You do not need to take any action at this time. If we need additional information to process your order, one of our team members will reach out to you via email.

Thank you for your patience.

GameStop Customer Service

Guess that means I didn’t get it.

I actually found one yesterday at a target 30 mins from my house. They had 5 in stock! Even though I’ve got Zelda on my WiiU I bought it again on the switch, haha.

Hi guys,
Im thinking of getting one of these for myself, on my birthday. Or rather, my GF wants to purchase it for me but Im a tiny bit wary by some of the things being said in this thread.

I dont like JRPG’s - if Nintendo studios are all that more or less release games here, that would be the kind of games released, right?
I dont really enjoy too small a screen to play on - phones are a no-go for me. How well does games like Zelda work when you use it off the big screen ?
Can you use it for anything else? Netbrowsing? Movie watching? Anything of the kind?

The main reason I am interested in the console, is Zelda and how people are gushing about the open world. I LOVE open world games - they are why I purchase games like MAfia 3, Horizon, Red Dead Redemption and so on - just to experience and stroll through those massive worlds - But if that is all the enjoyment I am going to get out of a Switch, its kinda an expensive game experience!!

Thanks in advance!

Wait is Zelda not considered an RPG?

It’s traditionally been considered an Action-Adventure Game series. The latest installment blurs that line though because of all the loot and stat effects (among other things).

How badly did Microsoft fuck up the Xbox One? They’re going to lose to Nintendo, who has 1 game. Amazing.

True, but … it’s a really good game.

Though… it is also a game you can play on a fairly old console at this point, as well…

How much was Mattrick’s golden parachute again?

EDIT: looks like he wasn’t pushed, he jumped to Zynga and got a $5 million signing bonus and a total $57+million compensation package. Idiots. Fun quote:

“Don is unique in the game business,” Zynga founder Mark Pincus said. “He can execute in multiple domains – hardware, software, and network.”

He lasted less than two years.

Dude nearly killed the Xbox brand then killed Zynga. Both were on top of the industry when he took over.

The article headline is bit clickbaity. The core of the article is this:

[quote]
Looking at all three consoles’ first-month performances, Switch looks like it falls in the middle.[/quote]

For total sales, we may never know how it really shakes out. We’ll only have estimates. The Nintendo Switch has sold 2.74 million since launch. The last official number reported from Microsoft for the Xbox One is 10 million units sold from launch to Nov 2014, but since Microsoft stopped reporting unit sales, no one knows how many they’ve sold since then. Electronic Arts said in their January 2016 earnings call that Microsoft has sold “18 to 19 million” Xbox One’s but they’ve since admitted that it was an estimate based on their own sales numbers.

[quote=“Razgon, post:1943, topic:126573, full:true”]
I dont like JRPG’s - if Nintendo studios are all that more or less release games here, that would be the kind of games released, right?[/quote]
Not really, Nintendo hasn’t had many JRPGs when compared to the other consoles, I think less even.

[quote]
I dont really enjoy too small a screen to play on - phones are a no-go for me. How well does games like Zelda work when you use it off the big screen ? [/quote]
Well, you can play it all big screen if you want. The screen size is larger than a phone, but not the size of an ipad mini even.

[quote]
Can you use it for anything else? Netbrowsing? Movie watching? Anything of the kind?[/quote]
Nope. Not yet. They haven’t really released detailed info on this yet. All previous consoles and handhelds have had this, so I would expect it in due time.

Well, Zelda is amazing, and one of the best open world games ever made. It is large, full of things to discover, and beautifully rendered with an excellent art style. So, if you like open worlds and simulations, you will love BotW. But, the only way to play it is a Wii U or a Switch.

Gamestop has a pre-owned bundle for 320$
http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/consoles/nintendo-wii-u-32gb-breath-of-the-wild-pre-owned-system-bundle/146492

Otherwise a Switch + Zelda is 360$. I would spend 40 bucks and get the new console, honestly.

Most Nintendo first-party aren’t very JRPG at all. They are generally quite Japanese, but across several genres. Right now the Switch is seeing a lot of indie releases in addition to the trickle of first party stuff. Also lots of Neo Geo games right now. The big advantage for getting some of these cross-platform games on the Switch is the portability.

I don’t have Zelda on the Switch, but the other games I’ve played on the Switch screen itself haven’t felt cramped at all. It’s essentially the size of a small tablet but without your fingers getting in the way. Resolution is high enough that UI elements can stay fairly small. Moving to the big screen sees a boost in resolution, and since the tablet itself is already running at 720p the games don’t look like just blown-up mobile games. You’re essentially talking graphics that seem slightly ahead of the Wii U.

Right now there aren’t any any “apps” for the Switch, just games. Nintendo has hinted that this will change, but I haven’t seen anything concrete. Netflix and a browser would be great.

Has this thread turned into a switch appreciated thread and a Don Mattrick bashing thread? I hope so because those are a few of my favorite things.

We can do both. Like Nintendo fucks up a lot of things, NES Classic supplies for example, but Mattrick ruined Xbox.

Ugh, don’t remind me. Nintendo you make games that make me want to love you, and then try so very hard to fuck that up.

You will love Zelda and you should get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Snipperclips to play with your girlfriend, especially Snipperclips. She’ll love you even more.

The Switch should get plenty of JRPGs, assuming sales don’t tank over the summer. The 3DS had plenty of them and, frankly, where else are they going to go? The Japanese don’t play console games any more, apparently, so even the PS4 isn’t a sure-fire bet, at least as an exclusive. The 3DS is end-of-life. The Vita is past EOL. And they’re definitely not going to be on the Xbox.