Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I have no trouble selling it to someone here (that’s kinda why I mentioned it), but my inter-tube-selling-stuff-fu is way out of date and not really sure how to do it. It’s a grey switch and MarioKart (and a rubiks cube thing they gave away).

Well if you live anywhere near Boston I’d meet you somewhere and hand you a pile of money for it.

Only if there is a Boston, Texas I don’t know about.

You don’t need to buy memory today, that is not a part of “startup cost”. I have 8 games on the built in memory now and still have room to spare. You likely wouldn’t need more for months.

I guess how much you need an extra controller depends on who is playing with you. I bought a pro controller because I heard they were getting hard to find but spent almost all of my Zelda time using the joy cons in disconnected mode. The pro is a great controller but if I did it again I would have just passed on it. We also do 2 player Mario Kart and Puyo with the joy cons no problem.

But idk. If you told me this thing only played Zelda and it was the only way to play that game I still would have paid 300 dollars. That game is amazing.

For what it’s worth, it’s nice to see how cheap memory is compared to the PlayStation Vita.

The fact that the Vita used proprietary memory that was multiple times more expensive than anything else is literally the only reason why I never bought a Vita.

I mean, just yesterday I saw this thread which seems to be implying that $78 for 64GB is a good deal, less than a day after I paid $45 for 128GB of storage for my Switch:

Well, Zelda is nice and all, but I would justify this thing for the multi-player family time stuff. And that mandates a second set of the controllers at a minimum which are $70. I’m sure I could push off more memory until there are more actual games to fill up said memory. It’s not a huge deal, but it is another thing to add up.

Not saying it’s massively expensive, just that I can get a PS4 with 2 remotes and a game for half the price if I choose to add another system to my household.

You just made no sense. Mike just told you that you don’t need extra controllers to play with two people, which is exactly what you say you’d do with a PS4 with two controllers. You can’t get a PS4 and a multiplayer game and another controller for half the price. That’s nonsense. You obviously don’t know what a PS4 costs.

Plus, if you want to play with family, you won’t find much for the family on PS4. Nintendo makes games for families. They make games for anyone from like age 2 to the grave. Mario Kart isn’t going to be found anywhere else.

It sounds to me like maybe you’re here to pour some water on the fire is all? Are you being paid to post negative things about Nintendo here? WTF?

MK with four people requires a second set of $80 controllers which is what I was referring to. If I went with a PS4 I obviously wouldn’t use it for MK or need 4 controllers. It would be for me to play the PS4 exclusives as the kids are already pretty involved into the Xbone environment.

Huh? I posted here because I found a Switch in the wild, which I thought was pretty cool is all. Once I started thinking about it, I’ve mostly decided that I’d rather spend the 400-500 or so on something else.

Dangit, you got me! And my long con! Sony and MS have been paying me since back in 08 to build up credibility by lurking and occasionally posting here. All just so I could finally make a post with a slight tilt against the Big N’s most recent console. I am teh Discovered!?!?!

Yeah, I paid $95 for mine. Hopefully Sony has learned its lesson. But no company loves the proprietary format more.

Thank god I’m apparently an anomaly and usually only focus on one game at a time. I have yet to find a need to upgrade from my 4gb Vita card, even without playing any physical games.

I kinda agree with @lostcawz on some of the extra costs of the Switch. I’ve seen them in the wild and passed them up since between a memory stick, pro controller and Zelda the price rose too high for my tastes. I’m happy for Nintendo that reception has been so strong though. It’s always nice to see their ideas pay off for them.

Come on man. I know you love Nintendo but the guy was just explaining his play pattern and the associated relative costs. Hardly a good reason to accuse him of being a paid sock puppet. Which is pretty silly.

Incidentally if anyone wants to pay me to say nice things or bad things about a console company I AM willing to do that :)

*Not really.

**Ok it depends on the amount :)

Remember the NES when you plugged games in and they just worked? After you blew in the cartridge that is. And wiggled it in th console. Then it just worked. Sometimes. You’d have to take it out and blow in it again.

Glory days of video games I tell you!

I’m not arguing that. I’ll always remember the NES fondly. :)

Regardless of whether there’s any ill intent, it’s rather disingenuous to complain about “extra costs” for a console and then include the games themselves in those costs, particularly if you’re comparing it to buying a different console.

It’d be fair to include at least one AAA game when comparing to other consoles on the market, since the Switch isn’t bundling anything.

The bundles on offer for the other platforms aren’t exactly enticing - out of all the games available in Xbox One or PS4 bundles, the only one I’d ever be interested in is Gears of War 4.

Well since you’re not interested in the games bundled with other consoles, clearly they don’t exist or matter…

or maybe take a different approach. I remember at release that a lot of consoles offered few and less value for the dollar bundles. The other consoles are in a completely different life cycle than the Switch…

<<<<— still thinks the costs of getting a Switch plus reasonable set-up gear is too expensive.

I mean, I’m pretty sure most people who would buy a Switch specifically for Zelda or Mario Kart aren’t exactly going wild for a PS4 bundle with Call of Duty or The Fourth Uncharted Game, or an Xbox One bundle with Battlefield One or The Fourth Gears of War Game. That has nothing to do with what games I personally would be interested in.

Regardless, I don’t think $300 plus games is unreasonable. That’s the only real “setup cost” for a Switch, no matter how much people try to claim various add-ons are mandatory (and here I’ll defer to @Mike_Cathcart’s post above discussing extra memory and the pro controller, by far the most common add-ons I’ve seen this argument for). It certainly compares favorably to $300 plus games plus $60 a year for online play (and yes, Nintendo’s going to be charging for online play in the future, but they’ve already put its annual price in the $20-$30 range).

Put another way: if that SD card and those controllers are “setup costs” for a Switch, that must mean the bigger hard drive (whether internal or external) and controllers two through four are “setup costs” for the other consoles, right?

Yea, I don’t buy the “hidden cost” argument. If you buy physical you will straight up not need to buy an SD card since there are no installs with the switch relative to the other 2.

Its also not fair to include extra controllers as extra costs for the switch and not the other two. I get that Nintendo is the only first party that seems to still care about local multiplayer but that’s not something that they should have held against them.

You don’t even need a TV!

I will concede that the prices for peripherals are higher than they should be, but they aren’t “hidden costs” they are just slightly more expensive options than similar options on the other two consoles. Hell, I’m considering buying a second switch instead of an extra joy con set, grip, and dock. Those separate come out to over 200 bucks. For less than 100 more I get a second console.