Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I agree with all of the above (it really is a sexy piece of hardware) but while I enjoyed Zelda quite a bit more than @Chaplin seemed to, I am actually actively looking for more games on the Switch because being able to undock it is so much more meaningful than I had assumed - it feels good to play on it undocked, it looks amazing, and it’s super easy and convenient to toggle between TV and mobile playing.

Also, I can’t stress this enough, I kind of love it’s ONLY for gaming. No Netflix, nothing else - just a pure gaming console. I’m sure at some point that will change, but for now it’s really tight. And fast! Load times are so much faster on this thing than, say, Horizon or the Prey demo I was recently messing around with. Good lord, I could fall asleep now I’m used to loading Zelda. And the updates (system and game) are crazy quick, too. The time it takes to save the game, close the game, update the game, and get back into the game is all of 60 seconds or so.

I am eager to see what comes next. The new Mario will be a no-brainer, and I might grab Mario Kart 8 just because it would be fun to take around the house with me. Binding of Isaac seems like it would be worth grabbing, as well, for short play sessions.

It’s really amazing being on a 45-minute bus ride effortlessly switching between Binding of Isaac, Zelda, and Mario Kart 8. Sure not all three on a single bus ride, but having any of them available at will.

The comparison is strongly in the Switch’s favor there, though. Going from MSRP:

Switch, two controllers: $300
PS4 or Xbox One, two controllers: $360

Switch, four controllers: $380
PS4 or Xbox One, four controllers: $480

I don’t get travel sickness but that combination in the form of ‘car and Mario Kart DS’ made me, my girlfriend and brother so ill when we were playing it multiplayer in the backseat!

For those less than Nintendo inclined (or looking beyond just the IP):

Has Been Heroes
Binding of Isaac
Wonderboy
Wargrove (not out yet)
Disgaea 5 (end of May)

These are all solid, strategy oriented titles that have plenty of meat, but also good stop and go to be worthy of either a TV or a backpack.

That’s good to hear actually since “dogface” looks pretty uncomfortable in the pictures of it. (sadly there are no demo switches anywhere near me so I can’t hold a controller for myself). Sounds like mixed opinions on that configuration, but nice to know some people find it comfortable.

Looks like a bunch a dem thinky games ta me…

Yeah, for family fun night I think Switch probably is pretty decently priced and more designed with that in mind than a PS4 or Xbox. If you need 4 controllers Xbox and PS4 have a HUGE add on buy in.

Indeed. My point was that it would add quite a bit to the Xbox total price.

I only offered the 4 player games on the Xbox as a cheaper alternative because he already has the Xbox and 2(?) controllers. That and they are fun anyway.

Also, in fairness, it’s easier to find PS4 and Xbox controllers below MSRP.

All the great compliments in this thread would have had a big effect on me, except for one thing: The Vita. I know it’s different, but I was also swayed by the compliments on the feel of the solid hardware, the beautiful OLED screen, the full dual thumbstick controls, the repeated podcast mentions by Brendan on the Qt3 podcast that he can now play PS4 games in bed using his Vita, and so on and so forth. All that was completely accurate. But the Vita was not for me.

So I’ll watch the Switch from the sidelines this generation, content with my PC, Xbox, PS4, and use my Vita as a coaster as I watch, impervious to all compliments this time.

Wonderboy and Binding of Isaac strategy oriented?

I would classify Binding of Isaac as an over head action/shooter more than anything, with strong rogue like elements.

What I mean by Isaac and Wonderboy (and Has Been Heroes) is that they are often (probably visually) dismissed as shallow flash or phone level games. They are not. Yes Isaac is a twin stick rogue like, but it has hundreds of hours of adapting to the monsters and upgrade options that a given run throws at you. Wonderboy is a completely remastered Metriodvania or Megaman like game.

They a not portable “light” games I guess is what I was getting at. All do and have stood quite well in traditional anchored, housebound mediums. But now they don’t have to. They work well in binge or small time slice options alike. And they have nothing to do with a plumber or an elf in a green tunic. That’s all I was trying to say.

Hell yeah, got it on PS4 but that’s one I’m re-buying for Switch for sure. I think Nintendo only ever had one of the many Disgaea games before this, on the DS.

Also rumours continue to swirl about Pokémon Stars, the (hopefully) Switch version of Sun/Moon - I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if they're untrue. I imagine that'll sell a couple more consoles when it drops...

The Pokémon site released some merchandising with the tagline ‘Look Upon the Stars’:

[details=Click for pic…]

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2017/04/170428_p05.html[/details]

=) I’ve had a few Disgaea’s in the past, but skipped them recently as I sort of got tired of the humor and colored tile puzzles. However when thinking of the Switch, I think it’s a great choice as I can binge play at home, or just play a single item world floor or something while on the go. Plus, I think it’s graphical style will really pop on the Switch.

Arms is at the top of my list, but I didn’t mention it as even though it’s new, it’s still Nintendo IP.

Finally got mine, so of course I see one in the wild soon after.

Two games, a spare AC adapter, and a pro controller as well, so I am thinking of taking it back. :-)

Finally broke this open and set it up today. Put a screen cover on first, which was easy enough. Then setup was easy after I figured out where the instructions were on the box. Not that it would have been difficult to just plug it in and go for it.

Did the system update which may have taken all of a minute. Then setup a Nintendo account and associated my Switch with it, all in under a few minutes.

The battery seems to be charging fairly quickly, but I wish it has a % somewhere (it might but I haven’ found it). And is there an indicator of the controller’s battery anywhere?

The screen is bright and clear. Almost big enough that I might be able to play it without reading glasses (aging sucks).

Will prob try out MK later with one of the kids. I ordered Zelda too from Amazon (12% off…whoot!).

Really done very little so far, but so far I’m happy getting in at the beginning of a system’s life.

There’s an option to turn on battery percentage in the “System Settings/System” options. You can also hold down ZL and ZR together on Home screen to show percentage briefly.

And is there an indicator of the controller’s battery anywhere?

On the Home screen UI there’s an icon of a little controller, in there it shows controller battery status.

So a week after opening the thing I’m really enjoying it. All the kids have spent time with MK. So I broke down and got another set of controllers. They were grey also, but I just realized you can get the little bumper part that slides in by itself in both the blue and red colors. And presumably in the yellow color when it comes out in a month or so. So its easy to keep track of controllers!

Zelda has been great, and I’m fine so far with the controller holder. Don’t expect to get a pro controller anytime soon.

Not sure if I realized it had a Bomberman title, but that seems like a great multi-player game. At least it was the only times I played it back on the PS or PS2.

I’m kinda liking the little cartridges too. At this point with only a few games it’s easy to just swap them out and not worry about storage. Plus Amazon seems to have 10% or so discounts on the carts so…savings…yay!

I did have the left controller bluetooth issue. It’s not a consistent problem but I have tried to sit a bit closer to my tv just in case.

I wouldn’t count on that lasting. One of my biggest gaming regrets is losing the carts for both Elite Beat Agents and Osu! Tatakae! Oendan 2. I’ve also lost Vita carts that just randomly fell out of the carrying case without me noticing. Handhelds and carts do not mix.