Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

So what kind of battery life do you guys get in real life playing this thing as a handheld?

Plenty, but I don’t play more than 30-60 minutes at a time. Never had it drop below 80% though, it seems like you could play a good 3-4 hours easy (and I was playing Zelda, which seems pretty intensive).

So, this console is basically exclusively a Handheld one for me. I have only docked it to charge, really. Also, Disgaea 5 is pretty great for short bursts of play. Great for mobile play.

3 hours or so depending on my brightness setting. I got the Anker Powercore 10000 which has a 3A 5V output and it recharges the thing really well.

I initially assumed I’d never play it undocked, but I think the last 20 hours I put into Zelda 90% of it was me playing in a recliner in the living room. I even beat the final boss that way, and paused it to run down and dock it to watch the ending on my TV.

Since then I’ve been ever on the lookout for great games to play in my comfy chair while I have the TV on something I don’t really care too much about. It’s kind of awesome. It helps it’s much more comfortable to hold than a 3DS (even the New 3DS - I’m 12 hours into Dragon Quest VIII right now and I can’t stand how it feels to hold that thing, and how it feels to push the stuck to move around, while the Switch has a real thumb stick, for instance) and it looks amazing, as well. It’s not ideal to look up something in Dragon Quest VIII for example, and realize the original version looks quite a bit nicer than the 3DS version. :(

Yeah we’ll know for sure soon enough I guess, but given translations already exist for the base Generations game I would be surprised if we didn’t see the G version over here on Switch. There’s usually at least 6 months between JP and ROW though, so since XX released on 3DS in March maybe we’ll see it near the end of the year?

Anyway, this is big news for Switch’s ongoing success, at least in Japan. Once they announce Pokémon there’ll be no stopping it!

I’m the opposite. Throughout this thread my hope for the device has been that it enables traditionally handheld 3DS games to be played on the big screen - and with Fire Emblem and now Monster Hunter confirmed, I couldn’t be happier. :)

But I’m also loving the portability, having the option of taking it to work, the couch, bed, or … the toilet. It’s awesome.

The Monster Hunter championship event is underway and more news is filtering out…

• Cross-play between 3DS and Switch (online only)
  • 3DS can migrate save data to Switch
  • 4 players on local Switches
  • Runs 1080p in docked mode
  • Game and a special edition Switch bundle are out August 25th in Japan

Nothing for Western fans. Boo! E3?

also:

[details=All in all, the announcement added roughly $2.2 billion to the company’s market value.]Nintendo’s share price rose significantly following the announcement that Capcom’s Monster Hunter series would bring its latest entry, Monster Hunter XX, to the Nintendo Switch.
While Nintendo’s stock prices typically see some level of ebb and flow as major products are detailed, the recent announcement of Monster Hunter XX’s impending Switch release helped the company’s stock value hit its highest point since October of 2008.
According to CNBC, Nintendo’s share prices rose over five percent following the announcement, soaring past stock value bumps the company saw following the release of Pokemon Go to reach a new eight-year high at 33,510 yen ($300.72). All in all, the announcement added roughly $2.2 billion to the company’s market value.[/details]

I’m assuming the likelihood of that bundle coming to the US is close to zero :(

So I started playing mgs 5 over the weekend and can’t stop thinking “man I wish this was on the switch” I don’t care about graphics anymore just give me amazing gameplay anywhere and everywhere.

I really do prefer using the Switch mobile. Sure it looks nice on a TV, but the screen and performance I have found to be near perfect mobile. Love sitting outside on my deck (in the evening) or in my recliner playing it without the need of my TV. Got a feeling this is going to be my system of choice in the future.

https://www.ft.com/content/7edcebea-4207-11e7-82b6-896b95f30f58

Nintendo finally realized they need to increase production. It took them 2 months to realize this?

They’ve already announced they were increasinig production a month ago to 16m units. So this would be a second increase in production to 18m units.

Looks like I have to pay/subscribe to read this (FYI)

Is there any more to it than your summary?

The high flying investor I am, of course I have a subscription to FT. (Joking)

Actually when I clicked the Reddit link it worked for some reason, so just read it from Reddit I guess: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/

Sorry about that.

Edit: it’s not working from clicking the Reddit link now either. Basically not much info. It’s doing better than expected and they want to be ready for the holidays.

No worries, I appreciate the effort!

This is good news in my opinion - I really, really like the Switch and I want it to succeed big time. Mostly because that means more better games eventually.

Except in the article Nintendo denies they’re ramping up production as reported by ‘people close to the company’ and ‘people involved in Nintendo’s hardware supply chain’:

Nintendo denied that it had plans to boost production to that level, sticking to its official hardware shipment target of 10m for the console that was launched in March.

(full text is in this Reddit comment)

I finally got Zelda. This might be the greatest video game ever made. I’m still in the honeymoon, though, so we’ll see if it can keep Dark Souls off the throne.

I played 140 hours on Wii U and am 50+ into it on Switch and I’m still not out of the honeymoon phase.

I mean I could go on and on about the crazy shit I’m getting into. Eventually I should progress the main quest, I suppose. Last night I climbed a snowy mountain completely unprepared, I just kinda stumbled into it and kept climbing despite having only 2 spicy foods left and garbage weapons. I had to fight a dragon on top. I was fighting this thing while slamming baked apples and raw mushrooms to stop myself from freezing to death. I peaced out when I ran out of food and arrows. 10/10 would climb again.

I think the unintentional genius of the Switch is that in some ways the rest of the world is ending up where Japan is now as young people abandon TV related entertainment in general, and the real failure of any mobile company to go “all in” on gaming and make some honest to goodness dedicated gaming peripherals that work with your phone or tablet leaving a spot at the table for Nintendo. As well as “grimdark” fatigue as typical console games all seem the same after a while.