Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

FIFA this year! I’ve found soccer to be the least bad of all the EA Sports games.

Apparently it’s a neutered watered down FIFA. We are going to see either no ports or watered down ports or watered down ports on the switch like we saw on the Wii and Wii U. I don’t blame them but I’m not happy about it.

I really really really really like playing zelda with free floating detached joycons. Being able to shift my wrists and arms into any position that’s comfortable at any time and not having my hands stuck together really helps any cramping.

That’s what made the Wii controller and nunchuck such a dream for me.

So, is anyone here playing Mario Kart online, against friends, on the Switch? I’d like to give it a go on mine, now that I’ve successfully put it into my router’s DMZ after failing to connect to anyone during the ARMS test punches. I dunno how to advertise my Friend code or whatever, so if you are interested, let me know, and what we can do to actually connect.

Well, the Switch isn’t as powerful as a PS4 or XB1. It has half the RAM to start with. And you’d have to assume that version of FIFA was started way back before anyone knew whether or not Switch would be a success for Nintendo, so they’re not going to throw huge resources at it.

But maybe there’ll be more chance of better ports now it’s sold a few pieces of hardware? I guess we’ll see if Skyrim is a port of the recent special edition or not! :)

That was the most relaxed playing I ever experienced too. I could do it for hours never feel any strain or stretch… it was perfect.

Yeah, seriously. Loved that set-up too.

Until you played Zelda and were forced to waggle the controller just to swing a sword. Or, that’s why I never played any Zelda game on the Wii/Wii-U (except Wind Waker HD, which thankfully let you attack with a button).

Twilight Princess HD on Wii-U also uses button controls.

Interesting. I didn’t realize there was an HD version re-released. Hopefully it comes to the Switch at some point, I’ll gladly give it a second try without having to waggle.

Yeah, it (can) come with Wolf Link Amiibo, which you can use to get Wolf Link and Epona in Breath of the Wild.

On the other hand I think trying to use individual joy cons as a single controller is awful. Just way too small, at least while trying to play snipperclips.

Are you attaching the wrist straps with the buttons when you use the joy-cons individually? For me, they are a really nice size with that little bit of extra on there.

Yeah, I’m okay with the face buttons but the shoulder buttons… oof. That used muscles on my hands that I didn’t know I had. The controller actually feels much better to me upside down but then that kind of busts the way they ‘switch’.

Snipperclips is a great little co-op game though from what I played. Very smart and cute. I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about it to be honest.

Yeah maybe the shoulder buttons are what’s really making me dislike it.

If they were closer to the edges then you could squeeze them with the base of your fingers but as it stands now you have to hook your fingers over and then press down, which is pretty rough.

I’m really not a fan of the Joy Cons even in the controller shell and think that’s a lot of why my Switch doesn’t get any use right now. The left Joy Con especially starts to make my hand hurt after maybe 30 minutes of Blaster Master… and the pro controller kind of kills the whole on the go aspect (plus, not really wanting to drop $70 and find out it doesn’t fix anything). Anyone else have that issue and eventually just get over it from repetition causing your hand to get used to it or something?

Seriously, are you guys using the attachments? You don’t have to hook to the shoulder buttons then. It sounds like you’re not?

I initially didn’t like playing Zelda with the joy-cons attached to the undocked sysytem, but after about an hour it started to feel pretty comfortable, to the point where I ended up beating the game undocked. I then proceeded to play Mario Kart 8 and Disgeae 5 almost exclusively undocked. I just love that little system.

I have a Pro controller, and it’s amazing. Just a great controller in general, but especially if you are looking for a familiar experience (like if you are used to Xbox 360/XBO/PS3/PS4).