Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I mean I like my Switch and all, but it’s not like it’s brimming with games that would make me want to stand in a 3k person line just to get one. If I had to do that in the States I would have waited a good year or so.

Edit: I can’t think of much that I would stand in a 3000 person line just for a chance to buy, especially in the hot summer.

I didn’t have a chance to try it this weekend. Can you elaborate a bit?

I really liked the first game on Wii U, but didn’t play it as much as I’d have liked to. I really liked the single player campaign and played a bit online, but I got into it after the community had dwindled a bit and was distracted by other things.

Damn I forgot to fire that up over the weekend. Was a huge fan of the first on the WiiU. And the global test fire was fun. was hoping this most recent test showed more.

Plenty of Switches in stock in local shops here!

If you enjoyed the first, this seems to have a lot more of everything. More single player. More weapons. More maps. More online modes. More swag. More competitive options. You name it, there’s more!

In Japan, the game is a phenomenon. They really fell for the graphic style, music and of course the gameplay. It’s a system seller in every sense of the phrase.

That’s cool. I’m hoping that they had the time to build a more substantial single-player campaign this time around too. While the first was pretty great, it was over right when I was just getting into it.

Ah, and I was ready to move on just as it was wrapping up!

All the early indications are that the single player is bigger and better defined. There is also a new Salmon Run horde-style mode for co-op play.

Yeah I read a bunch of reviews this morning and they sound great! Looking forward to getting it :-D

I played a bit of the Splatfest (on team Cake!) this weekend, and it was my first Splatoon experience. Overall, I found it OK. I was thoroughly trounced on a regular basis, but that’s probably because of my lack of familiarity with Splatoon versus people who’ve played the first one for years. I will say that the control tutorial was hell, because I couldn’t turn off the motion controls until it was complete. And I don’t know about you, but motion control aim adjustment is a living nightmare.

If Splatoon 2 has a solid single player game, then I think I will take the ink plunge. That way I can improve my skills without embarrassing myself online, and enjoy the graphics and ambiance, which I definitely enjoyed in my brief taste.

The motion controls became second nature for me really quick on the Wii U. It’s kinda not even Splatoon without them tbh. That said, like all Nintendo games these days, you can play it however you like.

I found it really uncomfortable to twist away the screen, flexing my wrists simultaneously with the view shifting in order to aim. Perhaps it’s because I was using the Switch in my preferred configuration: Joycons attached to the screen. How do you play it in a way that’s comfortable and not disorienting? Joycons detached? Pro Controller? Does the Pro Controller even support motion control?

Yeah, the original game was on Wii U so the gamepad had gyro and it displayed an overhead of the map at all times. It’s actually something I missed during the Testfire but I’ll survive. You could also tap the Gamepad screen to auto-jump to that location. Anyway, you weren’t looking at the Gamepad most of the time but rather at the TV, so you weren’t moving the screen like you’d do now if you’re playing portable on the Switch.

Detatch the Joycons or use a Pro Controller (it has gyro every bit as good as the Joycons) and you’ll have the original Splatoon controls. If you play on the go, then it makes sense to turn off the gyro aim now. I know I probably would unless I can use the Switch on its stand with detached Joycons which I’ve done depending on location.

I typically play the Switch on the TV, btw. I also typically use the Pro Controller. It’s just really comfortable and has a massive battery life.

Breath of the Wild is probably the best open world game ever made and in a shortlist for best of all time. But the game does not hold your hand, and if you aren’t into the type of game it is trying to be, it just probably isn’t for you. For a person like me, who sunk hundreds of hours into World of Warcraft, just exploring the maps and finding the cool little things, this game was made for me.

I would totally understand if you aren’t into that kind of game, the story in this Zelda game isn’t what the developers have cooked up, but it is the personal experiences that you have yourself that tell the story.

I think you got your threads mixed up, @JonRowe

I keep waffling between wanting and not wanting Spla2n. I really enjoyed the latest testfire, but I only played it for about half an hour before going back to Warframe.

Does anyone know if US digital codes bought from Amazon redeem on accounts from other regions? Or do you need to set up a US user, like you would if buying from a foreign eshop?

That is brilliant. I love it.

Responding to this.

And I know what I said sounds a bit condescending, but I didn’t mean it that way, it is just a game that makes some really strong design choices that I totally would understand a lot of people disliking, but for me, it was perfect.

You should respond in the Zelda thread where the naysayers are out in force - there are dozens of them. Dozens! :)