Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Chocking I was laughing so hard. Genius.

That’s a great video. :)

I love when he gives the Bokoblin the leaf. Never thought of that!

That was piss funny.

‘This guy… this guy’s the most killedest guy.’

‘Tony, get the boulder.’

‘I christen this ship the SS–fucking piece of shit.’

‘Why did I give him my leaf? That was the best weapon I had.’

OMG my Switch was delivered! Splatoon here I come.

Goddammit. Now I have to go play this damn game again. Thats awesome.

Actually my omg was because I managed to order one.

Now I’ve got to figure out why I did so when I’ve got a million other things to do.

Mine showed up a week ago and I’m not doing a heck of a lot with it other than making sure it stays charged. Hopefully Splatoon 2 will get it some work, MK8D was still the same old same old.

In other news, how the heck can the 2-pack of Joycons be so hard to find in stock? I wanted to get an extra pair so the kids could play MK8D on vacation, but they are apparently quite rare. Best Buy assures me there are no packages in stock within 250 miles.

Splatoon 2 has no local multiplayer? How is this a thing, given the Nintendo-TV-console market? Thought it’d be a blast to play with the kid, but I’m not buying a second Switch just to play it.

It is primarily an online game, same as most shooters these days. Obviously with the portability of the Switch, they are relying on that for same-room multiplayer. Hardly anything has split screen when it comes to shooters these days and I agree that stinks, but that’s the market.

Yeah, just that little indie game Call of Duty setting expectations for the tiny portion of the market that plays it. (It’s not like split-screen COD games with his friends are 80% of the usage (sadly) that my Xbox One gets from my teenager nowadays.) Those COD games and stuff like Star Wars: Battlefront and the upcoming Battlefront II are far too niche to be considered the standard for shooters. Great justification.

Dude, whatever. I have kids of my own. I’ve watched as these games have systematically removed split screen multiplayer. We played Halo that way with the four of us ALL THE TIME and then they ripped it right out and could barely muster two players. It sucks. Most games don’t have it anymore and this is one of them, mainly because the idea is your friends bought a Switch too and so you go play with them at their home, or your home, or like most kids do now, you play online.

Sales of games like For Honor, Rainbow Six: Siege, Destiny…the games kids are playing these days outside of CoD… they aren’t that high because people are skipping them because of no split screen multiplayer. Everyone buys their own copy for their own PS4 or Xbox One.

Flip side: the Switch is positioned and marketed as a device for exactly the kind of split screen we rarely see these days. All their ads hilight the ability to do so.

So it seems perfectly reasonable to criticize Splatoon for the lack.

Sure. I concede. It should be four player split screen.

I mean I’ve got no dog in that fight, won’t get a Switch until the holidays, and not a fan of shooters in general. Just giving an outside perspective is all.

Outside of seeing if Zelda lived up to the hype, my whole impetus for even buying the Switch was seeing marketing about Mario Kart and other games touting it as fun living room gaming with friends and family.

Of course, if I’d done due diligence, I would have seen the complaints about multiplayer on the Wii U original. But at least that one had the Battle Dojo mode for local multiplayer.

And yeah, Dave, it is annoying to see it supported by fewer games. I was annoyed that it went AWOL in Halo myself. But given COD and Battlefront’s percentage of the overall gaming market, much less just the shooter category (14M copies of Battlefront sold in its first FY), their feature sets can be considered the standard for shooters, and I would hope that customer reception of titles without couch co-op will force other developers to re-evaluate those decisions.

Shared living room experiences are one of the big advantages consoles still hold over phone/tablet gaming. Console game publishers shouldn’t throw that advantage out.

Denny. It’s one game. I think Nintendo already has more couch multiplayer games on Switch in the first four months than the others get in a similar timeframe. There are bound to be many many more. The Wii U had a larger number. Wii was built on it.

Oh, I know. Just disappointed because I know the property is supposed to be great.

Also, it’s not real on QT3 unless you post at least five messages complaining about the same thing using slightly different words. 🙃

Four-player split screen would be fun for Salmon Run, but pretty much crap for the other modes. Speaking of which, who else is totally in love with Salmon Run? I typically don’t care much for horde modes, but it is pretty awesome.

Do you guys buy all digital or physical games? I thought digital was the way to go for this system but now I’m not so sure.

Digital because I don’t want to carry around a bunch of tiny game cartridges like a damn animal.