Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

They are killing me!

I’ve seen plenty of Switches in stock at Target and Walmart over the last few weeks. Both the grey and the blue/red ones. In fact I’ve never seen less than 3 at either since back in August maybe.

Golf Story is just great. Love the writing, very Aussie & fun. Very much the spiritual successer to GBA Mario Golf.

Agreed, I think Switch supply has caught up with deman$ these days.

Can’t wait to get one!

Can’t you just buy two red joy-cons? Or are they a different red?

They’re a lovely deep Mario Red.

IMG_6548

Well thanks a lot, now I want a set. :)

I also thought the Splatoon green/pink joycons looked nice; these cool joycon colours could get to be an expensive business…

Alternatively, I wonder if they’ll ever show up here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Replacement-Right-Left-Housing-Shell-Case-Cover-for-Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Con-Controller/1945613_32803983197.html

This console as an unreasonably incredible launch year. I mean, come on, this is just unfair:

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Splatoon 2
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Steamworld Dig 2
  • Golf Story
  • Cave Story+

And Mario Odyssey coming out soon.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2!

Yeah it seems I have to keep reminding people of that too! :D

I played Zelda on the Wii u, so that’s off the list. The main other one I’m interested is (theoretically) Mario + Rabbids, but I find the aesthetics of the Rabbids so unpleasant that might kill any chance of me spending money on that no matter how good the gameplay may be.

So, I’m mainly looking forward to Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and all the weird Vita-caliber Japanese shovelware that appears to be trending onto the switch like that Touhou-Virtua On, or the fighting game featuring the character from Umihara Kawase.

I’m just listing the games I personally am interested in. Not currently interested in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, never played any games in that series.

For what it’s worth, I was never wild about the Rabbids, or Mario, or Firaxis’ XCOM for that matter. But Mario + Rabbids will probably be my game of the year.

It’s a potent mix that manages to bring out the best in all of them. The Rabbids bring some much needed personality and humour to the Mushroom Kingdom which in turn gives Ubisoft plenty of material to twist and combine (literally) in unexpected ways. The XCOM-like mechanics make the overall experience a lot more involving, cerebral and surprising without the setbacks of permadeath and the uneven percentage chances to hit (it’s either 0%, 50% or 100%). In that respect it’s got the sensible streamlining and accessibility of a Nintendo game but it’s a lot snappier, more colourful and dynamic for it too.

So, yeah, the whole thing’s won me over in a big way. In fact, I now hope Nintendo brings the Rabbids over to Mario Kart!

Looks like Gamestop has unbundled systems in stock, if anyone is looking.

Stardew Valley is coming out 10/5. Switch has been an amazing system so far.

Awesome news. I’ve been playing the hell out of it with my daughter on the Mac, but I wonder if a touchscreen might even be better.

Any reason to believe it would use the touch screen? I haven’t followed coverage but if that’s not explicitly touted as a feature, I wouldn’t expect it.

Good point. It might not, I just made an ass out of me. Let me Google.

Wouldn’t have even occurred to me to wonder except Penny-Arcade just mentioned that Picross doesn’t use the touch screen on Switch—and that seems silly. So yeah, got me thinking it’s not safe to assume.