Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

They seem to have finally gotten a bunch of shipments. I’ve been getting NowInStock notifications for the past couple of days.

Got one from Amazon this morning at 8 am and they still have consoles available, vs. selling out in the first hour: http://amzn.to/2xThl5P

Yep, I’m getting this too! Argh my wallet!

Suggestions for Switch games that would engage a non-reading 4.5 yr old for a few minutes? I need something to distract my younger daughter while my older daughter and I do Taekwondo and my wife is out of town for work.

Mario Kart keeps her busy for ~ 20 min and Sonic for 10-15 min. It would be great to pick up a few more games that would engage her in total for 45 min or so. Most games require reading.

I thought it was odd that Picross didn’t support touch either, but the controls are pretty good. I can go pretty quickly and it’s much more accurate than a finger on the larger puzzles. After playing 30 minutes, I was perfectly ok with it.

I still don’t get MegaPicross at all. Guess I need to go through the tutorial for it again. I couldn’t wrap my head around it after the difficulty picked up a bit.

Picross would be way to difficult to play with touch since the touch targets get way too small on the larger puzzles. You’d need one of those capacitive touch styluses.

Does Golf Story ever teach you about all the stuff? When I press ZR, what is it doing? What is “hit mode” vs “percision mode”? What do the stats mean when you level up mean exactly? I only just started, and the golf is really easy, but it makes me want know more about what is going.

Yeah it’s taught me ZR/ZL/L/R/X/Y so far, as I progressed through the first course. But it’s yet to divulge what the level-up stats mean…

• L/R is for topspin/backspin
  • ZR/ZL is for different strengths of approach shots. Basically cuts max swing strength drastically.
  • Hit Point Mode is where you can see and adjust the path the ball travels through the air, to swing it around/over obstacles
  • Precision Mode is where you can move a ‘target’ along the shot visualization, which also shows up on the swing meter to let you more easily hit partial-strength shots

Yet to see a ‘Focus Shot’ tutorial, which is the object you have under ‘Story’ option, that ignores wind and swings more slowly.

I beat the game without ever getting that tutorial. You press up on the dpad to activate it, but it can only be used in match or strokeplay. Meaning you can’t use it for anything outside of an actual nine hole course run. It also makes hole in ones stupid easy on par 3s.

I also beat the game without ever knowing what some of the stats do. The one below power is clearly ball flight path, the one below that is most likely to reduce the negative effect of not hitting a ball pure, the one below that is a mystery, and the last I think is how effective the L and R roll is.

But you also have to use it for bunker shots, right? That’s what the kid said in the opening part. That’s why it confused me. So I guess it must mean a chip shot.

Well I don’t think you have to use it for bunker shots, but yeah.

I’m not sure it’s specifically a chip shot though, just two lower-power variants of your current shot. You can use it with any club, not just the wedges or irons - with a putter for example, one of the two (ZR I think) actually hits the ball harder than normal. :)

Argh! I have no time but I really want to play this game!

You can also pull them both at the same time for a super short chip shot.

Try not to overthink the ZL/ZR thing. Its basically for when you are closer to the green and would want a slower moving swing line. ZL is the shortest/slowest ZR is the longest and fastest (still shorter and slower than a full swing for anything other than a putter) and pressing both splits the difference. From what I saw all clubs have the same distances with these buttons so its a matter of loft/roll to decide which club to use (I only used the wedge, pro tip you can just land it in the hole with ease if you are on the fringe and the pin is still in)

I wish the golf was harder or the competition was stiffer because otherwise its a great game. Its kind of hard to enjoy a game when you destroy the competition whenever there is competition. I found myself making rules like I can’t use the third powerup because it really just breaks the game.

I’m glad to see that so far it seems to be a huge success for a tiny development team. Hopefully they can refine things now that they are no longer rushing to market and maybe put out some expansions that up the difficulty and fix the putting so you can actually read greens.

Oh man, one of the SNK classics on the Switch is Shock Troopers 2nd Squad.

It probably marks me as a person with terrible taste, but I’ve always liked Shock Troopers way more than Metal Slug, and particularly 2nd squad.

The original Shock Troopers is a better game, I think. 2nd Squad has better bosses maybe, but the rest of it is cut back from the original. They’re both good games without a doubt, and different from Metal Slug so I’m not sure they need to be compared (and MS3 is one of the Geo’s finest hours), but overall any of these games are awesome in a home/portable format with rather good emulation.

Certainly I will never own an AES cartridge of any of them unlike a number of other Neo games.

Steamworld Dig 2 is a fun game and great on the Switch. If it were co-op, it would be the perfect game for my kids. They love it as is but don’t like to hand off the controller to each other without changing Switch profiles. The “press up to talk and go through doors” control scheme is the only baffling thing about the game.

They still have them…but one less as of yesterday.

I haven’t dug into Steamworld Dig 2 yet, just played around with the opening. It seems strange that it tells you to use the left side buttons for movement in stead of the stick. Is there a reason for this? Does it work better that way?

I haven’t played the game, but digital typically works better for precise 2D movement than analog, and having played the first SteamWorld Dig, I can see where that might be a concern.

I’ve been playing with the stick and it’s fine, with the minor annoyance that it is too easy to trigger the “Talk…” action while passing people in town.