Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

@Clay, the controls for the two actions are broken out separately in the options menu. So, you can disable left stick as an option to talk to people, and use the top button for that, like I just did. That lets you do things like use your hookshot up while standing in front of an interactable object.

Awesome, thanks! I didn’t think to look to change it. The default control scene trips up my daughters, too.

Yeah, it had been making me nuts too.

so, out of the blue my switch’s NFC reader on the joycon has been really absolute shit. Taking multiple attempts and shifting around the right joystick in hopes that it will pick it up.

This was never the case before. Anyone else been having this problem?

I’m tempted to reach out to nintendo to see if they have any type of resolution in place for it.

Edge Magazine rates Mario Odyssey

So, the joycons come with little wrist strap/dongle attachments that i guess you’re supposed to clip on when they’re disconnected from the tablet…

Do people actually use those? Seems like kind of a pain to futz with them, but I guess you couldn’t use the L/R buttons on the edge of the JoyCon without them?

I literally haven’t even taken those out of the box yet, so just a general question about how they’re supposed to be used.

I always use them. You can use the shoulder buttons without them, but it’s not comfortable. Once you do it a few times, it’s easy to slide those things on and off.

They’re for two player games where each person holds a joy-con sideways. I’ve yet to use mine but only because I’ve not played that way.

They work great, but the things @Mike_Cathcart linked to look awesome. I keep them with me when the Switch travels for multiplayer. They make the joycons more comfortable when used sideways.

Ah, so it sounds like they aren’t necessary at all when using 1 person split JoyCon mode, which makes sense, means I probably won’t need to mess with them most of the time. Thanks.

Nope. You only need them when using one JoyCon as a single primary controller turned sideways. They’re nice to have around, especially for Mario Kart on the go.

Unless your child forces them on the wrong way. Which happened within 10 minutes or so. Frickin’ kids.

The very first time I put those things on I did it backwards and it got stuck. There’s a little tab inside you have to push down with a paperclip or knife or something similar, then it will pop right out.

Bad design, imo. You shouldn’t be able to slide those on the wrong joycon.

Same here, first time i put them on backwards and had to do fidget a bit to get them loose again. I literally had to bleed for that because i hurt my nail while fidgetting.

I’m now ~10-12 hours into Golf Story and I’m really having fun with it. It’s one of those rare gems where its sense of humor is developed really well. It’s not “funny” with “jokes”, but the dialog is just so charming and quirky without going too over the top.

Even the way the dialog boxes appear, and how it works with the Switch’s “HD rumble”, fits the tone of the game perfectly.

And then the game itself of course. It’s a fun, somewhat simplistic golf game, but it holds its own pretty well and keeps things interesting with many different types of courses and unexpected elements popping up all over the place.

When not actively playing a round of golf, there are a bunch of really fun side-events too! Really surprising twists and turns in what the game asks you to do, all fitting within the same quirky theme, and never out-staying their welcome.

Highly recommended!

Good times for indies on Switch.

Brjann Sigurgeirsson, CEO of the SteamWorld Dig 2 development company Image & Form, over email, he said, “The Switch version of SWD2 is doing many, many times better than any of the other platforms.”

According to publishing director for publisher Curve Digital in an interview with MVC, The Flame in the Flood had, “its best ever day on any console since we’ve been publishing it, beating any other format we have launched on. It’s done just under half of our first full month forecast in a day.”

FDG Entertainment, the publisher for Oceanhorn has also said that the game sold more on the Switch than “all other consoles combined.”

Yup, this has been a common refrain lately. Hopefully, that means more devs bring titles over, though one has to figure that the more titles there are, the harder it will be to get attention. Otoh, Switch gamers might have fewer qualms about paying full price for games (and in some cases, for more than on other platforms).

Hey, I think a lot of people predicted (both in press, and on these boards) that the Switch’s design is perfect for indie games.

It also helps that Nintendo really pushed hard to sign on indie studios to make ports/create new games for the switch.

I love it, why would I get these on the PS4? I can make these portable, or play them on the TV with friends. It is perfect.

All we need now is Spelunky.

Derek Yu has a Switch and has said he’s interested in putting something on it, and that he’s gotten many requests for a Spelunky port… so you never know! Would be grand.