Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Yeah, I’m doubtful M+R will drop in price much, but hey I certainly have enough other stuff to play until Black Friday and the holidays just in case.

Actually, I wasn’t at all sure that’s what they meant. So thanks.

Here in The Netherlands we have M+R on a discount for 50 euro these few weeks. It was 60 euro’s at first. Don’t know the reason for the discount…

Ah! OK. I guess I’m used to having those around since we have three of exactly the one shown in the picture at home. Those Sony Gold headsets are pretty nice except for the bit where they fall apart within about two years.

As someone who is on a plane every week, I really hope they add Bluetooth headset support.

It’s a frustrating omission.

Maybe in the next hardware revision. I expect a dockless SKU in the next year or so. And the New Nintendo Switches in different colors not too long after that.

Dockless SKU? How will that work? It has its own stand built in? They have consistently said this is a TV console you can take with you. Removing the dock would invalidate the whole thing, especially when they’re still selling 3DS at really good numbers and more mainline Pokémon hits in a month.

Yeah, a dockless SKU of the Switch would go over about as well as a PlayStation 4 SKU that doesn’t include a controller.

Eh, I don’t think it’s hard to rebrand that way “Switch Go” or something. And in a couple years maybe they figure out a way to make it run cooler at the high CPU speed – then just add a HDMI port and done.

Personally, I’d bet on the Switch XL coming before a mini version. Maybe an 8" screen.

The battery life isn’t really good enough for it to be considered as a primary mobile device right now, IMO. I love the device, but for now, it needs to be nearish to charging if you intend to have extended play sessions.

Or just put one of these in your case:

Sold separately so they can reduce the main unit’s price.

Is there any reason that the dock couldn’t be a dongle instead? I guess it uses the dock somehow for the pointer-tracking as a sensor bar replacement?

The point of the dock is it gives it a secure location to become your TV games console. Nintendo could easily have just given you a cable to connect it to the TV, but then you’re taking away from the whole idea that it’s a games console first and a portable second. By selling it the way they do, the utility is much clearer. You’re not hanging a cable off your TV, you’re attaching a games console and when you leave home you can continue playing on the portable unit. Come home and it’s a perfectly easy solution for both playing and more importantly CHARGING the device. Don’t forget that there’s a power cord connected there too.

Even if all you consider it to be is a cable consolidation device, the dock is hugely useful for that and it gives you a safe location to both play and charge. It is a primary part of the appeal of the machine for many people.

Which is why the Pro controller is sold separately. : P

Would you pay $370 for the Switch with a Pro Controller included if you can already do the same thing with the included JoyCons? Also, the JoyCons do things the Pro Controller cannot do.

Nintendo’s been pushing control scheme variety and choice for three generations now. You can play traditional ways, motion control ways, touch screen ways… it’s up the developer what they want to do! That’s great! Choice! ARMS is a perfect example of that as motion controls and Pro Controller are equivalent in skill for the most part but totally allow players to decide how to play. The JoyCons are integral to the design. The Pro Controller is not.

Never mind the fact the JoyCons present you with multiplayer options right out of the box. Every game with multiplayer so far can be played split screen or single screen with the included two JoyCons. It’s rather ingenious.

And the undocked Switch can do things the docked Switch can’t do, specifically use the touch screen. I agree that it’s not a singular vision, but sometimes the hybrid vision is also a contradictory vision that compromises one functionality in favor of another. Which disincentivizes developers to take advantage of the functionality. I hear indies are selling well on the Switch (and at full price too), but I’d love to how many units a touch-primary game like Severed moved on the Switch versus the PSV and iPad.

I fully expect Nintendo to re-focus its vision for the Switch in the next couple of years as a portable-primary console that receives their full first-party software support. What exact form that will take I cannot know, because I never know what kind of gimmick-dragon Nintendo will be chasing next year.

I disagree. This is a home console that happens to be portable. It will always come with a dock in the bundle. That’s the specific appeal of it! Easily connected to the TV!

The specific appeal of it for me is that it’s a handheld that will get Nintendo’s home console games

For me it’s a home console that will get Nintendo’s handheld games. That I can also play portably at a moment’s notice. :)