Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I did not know this was a thing and had to look it up to see what you guys were talking about. I might have bought a Wii U just to play that.

Omg! You still should! It’s beautiful, and crazy, and yet as hardcore as it gets when it comes to the dungeon crawling combat! One of my favorite Wii U games. The music is super too.

Eeehhhh…agree to disagree. (I enjoyed the performed J-pop songs, but felt that much of the generic background music was just that.)

But I do agree that the combat is really good, and puts a very welcome new twist on the SMT-weaknesses systems. I have a save right at the end boss but have never bothered to actually finish it.

Hah! That was me with Wizardry…8? There are multiple games where I didn’t want the experience to end so much that I simply never finished. They don’t call me Misguided for nothing, I suppose

It’s usually more of a weird inverted completionist thing for me.

• if I beat the game, I know I’ll never come back to it
  • but, I kind of want to maybe get more side quests or unlocks, or whatever
  • so, I stop at the point of no return (or the final boss) and just never get any farther

I have a Breath of The Wild save in this exact place as well. I don’t really want to 100% all the shrines…but I don’t want to beat the game, because I kind of want to beat all the shrines…and i know that once i see the end cutscene I will never open the game again …so I just never beat the game.

The v4.0.0 update that keeps on giving…

Too bad I traded in my wavebirds with the Wii years ago.

Excellent, and hope that is indeed sign of impending VC of some kind … but really the only part of 4.0.0 that I’m immediately concerned with is this:

A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.

and specifically in how soon that applies to Mario Odyssey. Come on! :)

*is it normal to be firing up eShop and checking every few hours?

I’d say that Gamecube controller support is more likely to imply an upcoming (re-)release of Smash Bros. for Switch than it does Virtual Console. My guess is a Mario Kart 8-like Deluxe version.

That’d be a nice Christmas surprise gift.

I doubt it would be this year, just saying that’s probably what it’s for.

You’ve just ruined Christmas. ;)

Yeah, most likely for Smash. I suspect they’ll do a re-release of one of them (maybe Melee…?) at the same time they announce a new one is in development. I really can’t believe that Sakurai is totally done with the series. I mean, I’d love it if he were working on something totally new and unique, but that seems unlikely.

Maybe it’ll be the next big crossover:

Smash Megami Tensei

Mario Odyssey pre-order & pre-load is up on eStore!

How many refreshes did it take?

I think I only checked about four times today! ;)

The third time, they had a price available but no buy/download. The fourth time - bingo!

I bought it on Nintendo’s website and it started downloading immediately.

I’m excited, but I also intended for this one to go under the tree for Christmas. Really struggling with what the plan is for Friday since it’s already going to be arriving from Amazon. My kids are old enough that they’re up on release dates too. They’re aware it’ll be arriving…

Well that’s a tough one … waiting an extra eight weeks would be excruciating, especially if you know it’s just sitting there protected by a flimsy layer of gift wrapping!