Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Is Nine Parchments kid appropriate?

Everyone 10+ is the rating, due to “Fantasy Violence”. Looks appropriate for kids, and the co-op is probably a great time.

It seems to have some bugginess at launch, but these guys make pretty solidly fun games and they support things well.

One of my coworkers is really into https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/floor-kids-switch for what that’s worth.

I noticed that on the store and thought it looked cool but also thought it might be tough to pull off well.

that looks very neat!! I was just looking for a group/family game. That might fit quite well!

Yes! Very colorful, very warm, very laid back, very interactive among the different characters. It has pretty much zero single-player utility. But if you’ve got up to three kidlets handy, this is a great way to force them to help you level up your characters. Err, I mean, this is a way to keep them entertained while teaching them the value of cooperation.

-Tom

I’m sure everyone already has it, but:

Wonderful. I was late to the party with this but it’s been one of my favourite games this year so I’m glad to see it coming to Switch. Should be right at home with Mario + Rabbids. I’ve enjoyed these XCOM-likes more than Firaxis’ XCOM to be honest. I haven’t played XCOM 2 though, yet.

I don’t! Glad I stocked up on discount eShop points over the last week or so!

Is there any reason I should play Dig before Heist?

Nah, they’re totally separate experiences, just in the same world.

Edit: I liked Dig well enough, but Heist was so much better. I haven’t played Dig 2 yet though.

I don’t have Heist, either, so I’m in for that.

I struggle to beat games, especially on regular consoles. That happened with Heist on the Wii U. I’ll absolutely be buying it again on the Switch and hopefully will see it through this time! This game will be fantastic portable.

I can confirm it is! I played it on my Vita and it was tremendous.

Hmmm. I have it on iOS, but never finished. Definitely neat, but I didn’t love it the way I did dig 2 (and I generally like tbs a lot)

This caught my eye yesterday:

Apparently there is an earlier game out on iOS and android but I’ve never heard of it. Translation looks to be bad, but the game looks rather cool. Anyone know more about the series?

So I got this…

…and it is very cool. I’m really hoping more vertical games come to Switch. Please don’t mind the total disaster of a desk around it.

I also picked up Top Hunter for Neo Geo last week. That’s an entertaining side-scrolling action platform game that really has no clone of any kind. Ristar is sorta like it but that’s much more platform than action while this is more action than platform. Totally unique in the Neo lineup and super expensive on cart.

What does everybody think about the new Farsight and Zen pinball games that were released today?

I prefer the realism of the Farsight tables in general, BUT the Switch port doesn’t run super well. Slow load times, glitchy frame rates, not especially optimized to the strengths of the Switch, etc.

The Zen port loads faster, frame rate is more stable (docked for sure), AND there are nice features that are custom to the Switch like optional vertical play mode, HD rumble, and support for multiple controller configurations (one docked joycon, separated joycons, pro controller).

Overall I think Zen is the winner here. Hate to pay for these tables for like the 4th time but…

Diego

Farsight seems to really suck at optimization. It’s pinball, man. Those tables should run like Pittsburgh. I wish they’d hire some guys that can code better. The real tables are just way better than almost any of the FX stuff. :(

Dig and Heist are in completely different genres and don’t share a story.

Dig 2 is a massive improvement over Dig, and IMO is not only the best in the “series” but also one of the best games I’ve played all year.

Heist is excellent in its own right, and is one of the only turn based strategy games I’ve ever completed. I normally get stuck or frustrated, but Heist was just so much fun, innovative, and I can’t wait to play it again on Switch!

I’ve had Dig in my Steam backlog for about 5 years. I finally installed it and have been playing through it in anticipation of getting #2 on Switch. I’m as far as getting to the second map (Old World? I forget the name) with the chute that leads outside, but so far it’s much more linear and the puzzles simpler than I expected. I’m expecting things to ramp up now that I’ve got a few unlocks and have hit map 2.

I have Heist on 3DS, and it is fantastic. It’s better than Xcom 2, but falls just behind Xcom 1 for me. I’m guessing it’s the same on all platforms? If there are differences on the Switch version I might get it there too.

What the heck! I was looking through upcoming releases last night and those weren’t there…