Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I do, and not carefully either. There are scuffs but not sure they’re permanent, and they’re on the bezel not the actual displayable screen area. Guess it doesn’t bother me.

*edit yeah I just hit it with some monitor wipes and there’s faint marks visible there.Hit it with a torch at the right angle and you can see them easily.

Yeah, I’d be concerned that over months or years, those faint marks would become more prominent. Better to spend 10 bucks on a good glass protector, imo.

Fair enough, I’ll concede that a protector is a wise move if you’re averse to wear and tear and want to protect the investment!

Agree with this for the most part. I’d say don’t skimp on the SD card especially, since it is so much easier to buy games through the e-store than carry physical cartridges.

The pro controller is optional, honestly. I think its most useful for people with larger hands, but I personally use the joycons without much problem.

Absolutely. But it’s such a nice controller and great for docked mode. :)

Hmm, no, that’s bullshit, DX11 is great on Pinball Arcade and has been for 2 years. I heard Ghostbusters has much higher requirements being a new table with a bunch of extra stuff, but unless you are literally running on “Intel Extreme Graphics” you should be fine.

Stern Pinball Arcade, yeah, no idea what happened there. Kind of a trainwreck, even after a year.

One thing I noticed at Walmart and Target: Along with the Switch, they’re selling these $30 controllers. I’ve seen the Pro Controller many times earlier in this thread, and this is clearly not the Pro Controller, but it looks like an official Nintendo product, at least from the box. Anyone know if these controllers are just as good as the Pro Controller? They’re less than half the price of the Pro Controller so they much be inferior to it in some way, right?

They’re wired controllers, that’s why they’re cheap.

Yeah, that’s definitely a YMMV. I was fine playing with the Joy-Cons until I picked up Splatoon 2. I bought a pro controller for that game, and it’s so nice that I use it for everything now (save ARMS).

I picked up Steamworld Dig 2 and I’m really impressed. I don’t expect to be floored by the gameplay design of a Metroidvania style game in 2017, but here I am. There are so many clever things going on with the mechanics and level design.

Is that the only difference? A $40 difference just for being wireless vs wired doesn’t sound right.

It’s not! I’ve looked into them.

The cheap wired controllers have no Amiibo reader, no rumble, and no gyro, while the pro controller has all of those things.

I think the lack of the gyro is the only thing that turns me off of it ultimately – I don’t use it in every game, but I couldn’t imagine playing Zelda or Splatoon without it.

Wired where? The USB-C port, I guess?

From the dock, I assume – There are two USB ports in it that can be used for different accessories. I have a joy-con charger plugged into one of mine.

I don’t think the wired controllers are meant to be used portably.

They’re meant for your little brother, or the kid from up the street you don’t really like but your mom is friends with his mom so he always comes over. Basically whoever used to get the MadCatz controller.

They’re probably perfectly fine controllers for anything that doesn’t use gyro - Hori usually makes great products.

Alright, that got a good laugh out of me.

They’re certainly pushing them at Walmart, especially. They’ve even got one with a Mario skin. It looks nice. And it’s always right next to the Switch units. There are no Pro Controllers in sight, so I’m not even sure if Walmart carries any.

Yeah, I would trust anything Hori makes without evidence to the contrary.

The deadzones on the joycons are just insanely big, and the acceleration curve at the outside of the deadzone is too steep. So the joycons aren’t great for precision analog movement. I only ever play in tablet mode so the Pro controller doesn’t really help me, but would seriously consider getting a pair of some kind of “Pro joycons” if they were released.