Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I admit, I’ll probably get the cheaper kit just to mess around with it. That’s just too cool not to try it out. The robot Toy-Con looks like it incorporates Project Giant Robot from the Wii U and that’s nifty as well.

I kinda want to mess around with that piano. And it’s not like I didn’t spend 100 dollars on cardboard to play Space Hulk. Twice.

Yeah alright, sign me up.

Release date of 4/20 dudes

The Blue Ocean strategy… from another planet.

Will anything prevent you from just cutting your own cardboard?

Hope that junk is made of recycled cardboard/paper. What a waste of resources.

I’m assuming there will be Cricut patterns out shortly after release. I"m sure some people are probably starting to think of some designs already.

You won’t have the software that’s built to work with it

That looks a lot like the car phone I had in the mid-90s

I’m not sure what’s worse, that $80 robot kit getting used one time and then forgotten, or having to drag it out of the closet when my kids want to play with it all the time.

How so? You can recycle it when you’re done? Nintendo also has talked about repairing stuff with glue/tape as ultimately it doesn’t affect the function. shrug

Seriously. A lot better than plastic that sits in the environment… forever. Trees are a renewable, and paper recycling is well mastered. Nintendo done good here.

They’re for use with video games. We live in a digital age. This encourages waste where none need exist. This isn’t “done good.” It’s shitty cardboard that will be fucking destroyed by kids, which seems by design. Assuming people aren’t aren’t able to download a pattern and re-repurpose old Amazon shipping boxes or something, this crap amounts to disposable toys one must continually repurchase to continue using.

Have the police yet started an investigation into who killed the joy in your heart? I want to suggest Reggie Fils-Aimé as a prime suspect.

I have kids and have been enjoying sharing the SNES classic with them. I had planned on getting a switch before Metroid Prime 4, but this might be the killer app for me. My son loves legos, they’re his favorite thing. He is the perfect target.

Mods on this might be interesting, but how is Nintendo opening this to modders? Is there a Labo language?

So your complaint is just about the assumed durability of the kits? I say we wait and see before deciding it’s more of a waste than literally any other form of entertainment. The last piece of hardware you bought to support this glorious digital age probably had more cardboard in its packaging.

There are so many toys and peripherals that are completely disposable and made of plastic, so Labo seems like a weird “that’s wasteful” hill to die on when cardboard is so easily reusable and recyclable.

Also it looks like you don’t need to buy a kit, you might just need to buy the game:

Interesting, since one of my thoughts while watching the presentation was that the folks into 3D printers could have a field day with this.