Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I have a switch.

I bought it intending to sell it on eBay but never got around to it.

Now I’m a bit more financially secure I don’t need to sell it.

I might actually unbox the thing.

Yeah, the rest of the world has it right and we in the US have it wrong. Next time you use a credit or debit card at a swiper, take note of what symbol means “Yes” and which one means “No”.

Let me guess, based on video game consoles:

There’s a little A symbol by the No and a little B symbol by the Yes on the credit card swiper, right?

go go Switch!

Nintendo Hard Ware Numbers across all consoles

Beat Wii-U lifetime sales in 9 months! And over 9 million Mario Odyssey’s sold…

They did a really good job explaining and marketing the system and then launched it with excellent software. Wii U had good software out of the gate, the rest was a disaster. It’s kind of crazy how much software they shipped with Wii U and the Switch basically shipped with Zelda. Have a look…

Wii U

• Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  • Skylanders Giants
  • Transformers Prime
  • Wipeout 3
  • Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  • FIFA Soccer 13
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Ninja Gaiden: Razor’s Edge
  • Nintendo Land
  • Sing Party
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Warrios Orochi 3 Hyper
  • Darksiders II
  • Assassin’s Creed III
  • ESPN Sports Connection
  • Just Dance 4
  • Rabbids Land
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
  • ZombiU
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Game Party Champions
  • Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Switch

• 1-2-Switch
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Skylanders Imaginators
  • Just Dance 2017
  • Super Bomberman R
  • I Am Setsuna
  • World of Goo
  • Little Inferno
  • Human Resource Machine
  • Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
  • Fast RMX
  • Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
  • Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

Proof that one hugely influential exclusive and great marketing with an easy to grasp message can trump a great lineup of third party games any day.

But Zelda wasn’t an exclusive, right?

I suppose not, though I tend to think in terms of exclusives to the console maker. Exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

Interesting too that the 2nd best selling game after Mario is the Pokemon ‘Ultra’ Sun/Moon release on 3DS, with 7.7 million. :)

Imagine a sales bump when Pokemon Switch arrives…

Won’t be surprised if they launch that in November with a special holiday bundle.

But wasn’t every single one of those third party games on the Wii U an inferior version?

Thing is, even with a good 3rd party game, anyone with an Xbox or PlayStation or PC would not have a reason for getting it on a Wii U. How often was it the best version?

With the Switch, it’s always “would this be good portable game?”

Woohoo, finally an official update about the Switch’s paid online service: we have a month now!

Not really… in the sense that all of them had either gamepad improvements or ran quite well on the Wii U which at the time was on par with the competition.

Zombi U is the best version of that game and it was exclusive at the time. Tekken Tag had some special modes that are kinda fun (Mario based…). AC III had some extras I think. The bigger issue was that many of them were not new. They were ports of games already available elsewhere and often for quite awhile.

It certainly proved that adding Nintendo things to third party games was no guarantee of success. That lends itself to the post above where now it’s all about portability. DOOM and Skyrim certainly benefitted tremendously from that. The Zelda costumes for Skyrim barely registered I think.

Would be surprised if it didn’t launch along with a Nintendo game that has online features. Probably early for Pokémon but maybe Smash?

Guess we’ll find out during the E3 Direct.

What’s with the Bayonetta 2 pricing?

You get both games if you buy the physical version (B2 on cartridge and B1 as a download code).

But if going fully digital you have to buy them seperately, which costs $50 more!

There are discounts when you buy one or the other digitally. It’s only $10 for B1 if you buy B2. It’s $29.99 for B2 if you own B1 I think.

Hrrmmm okay then… still $10 (US) more, assuming it applies to all regions. Decisions!

It’s 60 dollars either way, unless you’re counting an Amazon sale or something.

No, I’m counting typical Au prices where you can get a physcial copy w/ B2+B1 for the same price as B2 is in the eStore. :P

But I guess physical is nearly always cheaper here anyway so it’s not really any different from other titles.