Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

So I played through the Dragon Quest Builders demo and had a pretty good time. My question is, is there enough in the full game to warrant the $50 price? It seems a little steep for a what is basically a minecraft-clone with some mild rpg elements. Then again, it seems so much more polished and focused than minecraft. For those who played it on playstation, what do you think?

I’m kind of hoping to pick up a physical copy used. It looks like great fun, but my history with these kind of games suggests a high probability I won’t get very far and I don’t want to drop 50 bucks on something I don’t end up playing.

Picked up The first Steamworld Dig yesterday and it is certainly a bargain for ten bucks.

It’s a proper game; I think there’s at least 60 hours content playing through the story maps unless you specifically try to speed-run it. When you’re done there it opens a sandbox mode.

I didn’t finish on PS4 because that bug where the frame rate tanks whenever a quick-bar item is highlighted really spoiled it for me. They never patched it. Played the Switch version and it runs better (but lower res).

Celeste sells best on Switch

A useful accessory for some Switch owners is a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter. Looked at some reviews and they do seem to be better than wireless or older USB converters.

Personally, my broadband speed is bad, just enough for streaming tv, no better options. But even so, my dock is conveniently next to the router so I got this:

It’s only somewhat more reliable and faster than wireless for me, but still useful and cheap.

The wi-fi on the Switch is terrible. I strongly suggest using such an adapter. Also, fwiw, I saw reviews about speed comparisons on the Nontendo one versus other brands, and generic ones on Amazon did as good or better. I got one like you showed and found I got better speeds than the Nintendo wi-fi adapter I bought for the Wii.

The wi-fi on my Switch is perfect. Whether docked or handheld, anywhere in the house, even Rocket League plays beautifully with a 40-50ms ping to US-West servers.

I use a 5GHz access point, FWIW.

Yeah, no issues with Wi-Fi for me either, also with a 5GHz access point. I played a LOT of Splatoon 2 online with zero issues.

It’s terrible for me. I lose all connection if I move more than about 20 feet away from my modem.

I can, and have, stood right over my router and the Switch can’t push enough data to play an eShop video. Other times it can’t see the network at all. As soon as I plug it in, everything is fine.

Maybe it’s like the Bluetooth of the joycons. Not all of them are created equal as Nintendo has been adjusting antennae routing and conductive tape since before day 1. I can see the same being true for wi-fi. I have a day 1 Switch. Joycons have always been good to me, but portable internet is rather dicey.

Day one Switch here too. I’ve used it outside the house on WiFi as well. Heck, I played Splatoon 2 online at a Panera.

Are you running dual-band WiFi? If multi, which is the Switch connected to? For 5GHz, 20 feet is pretty far, I think.

Definitely try experimenting with different wi-fi channels or bands. My router is generally terrible for everything 2.4GHz due to saturation, but 5GHz works beautifully for all of my devices.

This is my router for what it’s worth:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0DD0I6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My ping is pretty good, not far from yours. Online gaming is solid.

But top speed? Ooof.

What monitor would you recommend for the switch?

Also, I was thinking, is is possible/feasible to use the same monitor that the computer is hooked up to?

Yeah I have all my consoles inc. the Switch hooked up to my computer monitor.

Fast answer. Thanks.

I’m thinking the bigger the monitor the better regarding a switch?

To a point, I guess…

Mine’s a 28" 1440p. But I sit right in front of it, same position as I am right now typing this on PC. :)

Flip the monitor from DP to HDMI to use the Switch/PS4/etc. (so obvs. your monitor needs an HDMI port for console, as well as the Display Port you’d use for PC)

It would be interesting to see whether the USB 3 Ethernet adapter is any better than these super duper wireless routers.

In one review, the guy normally gets 120 download direct to his PC, but the switch gets 25 wireless. The USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapters, including the $30 official one, got in the 40’s. But a cheap $15 generic USB 3.0 gets to the 70’s.

So it seems that matching the 3.0 standard is worth it.

Rumor mill…