Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

The Switch is my favorite console to touch and hold and use. Ignoring processing power and game library—the important but more ethereal qualities—the Switch is just a delightful object to interact with.

There’s not really a meaningful comparison with home consoles (they just need to sit quietly underneath my TV), but the Switch even does that when I need it to. And compared to portable consoles, it’s not pocket-able, but almost none of them truly were. When it comes to portable, undocked gaming, the overall size, the screen, and the flexibility of controller setups are all very well balanced. The joy-cons provide motion controls when I need them, but they’re so much more comfortable for traditional control schemes than Wii-motes ever were.

If I was putting together a wishlist for improvements, I wouldn’t have much to ask for. I’d never turn down better battery life, and I’d love small HDMI adapter that could stand in for the bulky dock when “on the go” means “taking it somewhere that also has a nice TV”, and yes, the kickstand feels terrifyingly flimsy.

But that’s hardly enough to detract from just how nice a form factor this console is. Now I just want the impossible, I want a PS4 in this category.

Keep in mind that it’s designed to come off without breaking though:

Surprisingly my most-played Switch game recently is Rocket League. Even after owning and playing the Xbox, PS4, and PC versions of it already, it’s just so great to be able to play it on the couch while watching something else.

Heck, even though it’s downgraded from the other consoles, I’d still rather play Rocket League on my Switch while docked than playing on the other systems. Since it runs at 60fps and responds perfectly, I don’t care that the shadows and resolution are worse.

The only way this makes sense is if either:

a. Rocket League on other platforms doesn’t run at 60fps and doesn’t respond perfectly or
b. You like the Switch controls better than the other platforms.

Well, the console turns on instantly - even faster than the PS4 and Xbox One - and that I can easily pick it up and take it with me in the middle of the match if I want to (which I just did yesterday).

Additionally, since I’m playing the game on my Switch most frequently due to the ability to play it in handheld mode, I have 100+ games contributing to my current ladder ranking on this platform instead of on the PS4/Xbox, so even for matchmaking it’s technically more accurate with the latest understanding of my current skill level.

And since I can cross-play with Xbox and PC users, there’s always 50,000+ active players to matchmake with.

Maybe not a PS4, but maybe a pro version of the switch will take it from a PS3.3 to a PS3.8? If we really want to dream, toss in an OLED screen.

I have been happy with the hardware. Was slightly worried because I hate screen protectors and heard some Switch screens got a bit scratched going in and out of dock. Not at all for me so far.

They did do a nice job with responsiveness for sure.

My fantasy is just for a console in this form factor that has the internals to get AAA 3rd party support without a downgrade.

I have ARMS, Mario + Rabbid, Mario Odyssey, Snipperclips, and Stardew Valley. Those first three feel like modern AAA games, nothing about them feels last-gen or inferior to what I’m playing elsewhere. But realistically I know those are still tailor-made for the Switch, and I know I’m not going to see something like the latest Assassin’s Creed or Red Dead Redemption 2 on my Switch.

I’m not offering this as a complaint about the Switch—I knew what I was in for when I bought it, and I love it. Just saying that the form-factor of the hardware is so great, I can’t help wishing all my games could be played this way. I didn’t mean to try to nail down exactly what % of the PS4 power it would take for this dream.

FWIW, I have never cared for screen protectors either, but the tempered glass ones for the switch are quite nice. They do make the fit in the dock a wee bit snug, though.

ALERT! ALERT! Golf Story is in sale for $12. This is not a drill. If you own a Switch then this is absolutely my fave game on that platform and I hate golf.

Did I mention it not only plays well its also funny and well written? It is! You should buy it.

Thanks for the heads-up! I’m baffled as to why Nintendo has a wish list function on the eShop but then don’t use it to send me an email or something when an item on my wishlist goes on sale.

youhadonejob.gif

Quick question:

For my nephew’s birthday, can I get him a $20 credit to the Nintendo eShop from Gamestop? Is that something that’s available? And the eShop sounds like it’s full of games right? (Like the above Golf Story on sale for $12 that I could recommend to him)?

Or, conversely, is there a way to buy Golf Story for him, and hand him a code to put in his Switch?

Booyah! Thanks!

Yep. It’s called an eShop gift card and they sell them at most retailers that carry games (GS, Target, Walmart, Best Buy etc.). They’ll have the faces of the Usual Nintendo Suspects on them, in denominations of $10 to $50 (…I think is the top?).

Thanks Justin. I’ll stop somewhere on my way home today and look for that. I was planning to stop at Walmart anyway today.

Didn’t see this mentioned here yet:

*Whoops, posted in the game’s thread yesterday… :)

Also:

So yeah, that rumor about Bandai Namco being behind Metroid Prime 4… EG says it’s the thing.

Happy I’ve never picked up Vran on Pc, now.

Yeah I think this may be the first proper Diablo-type game on Switch?

I just bought a Switch about a week ago.

Had a very cute moment with my bride.

She said can you please get up out of your chair so I can clean the living room (I was playing Disgaea 5).

I got up, pulled out the Switch from the Dock and looked at her and we both started laughing.

Than I walked into my office and continued my game.

Doesn’t get better than that.

I bought my son a Switch for his birthday. He likes splatoon, but I am hooked on Zelda. It is more than just a great game: the ability to snuggle into the couch with Zelda on the small screen is fantastic. My wife may freak out, but I am very tempted to buy a switch for myself. Does anyone live in a 2 switch environment? Are there any games that would be especially fun with a second switch?