3. Stardew Valley
  4. Disgea 5
  5. 1,2 Switch
  1. Celeste
  2. Mario Odyssey
  3. Golf Story
  4. Has-Been Heroes
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

And whether you like it or not (I didn’t), Breath of the Wild is a must-play because of how hard it hits for those it does click for.

1. BOTW
  2. Mario Kart
  3. Disgaea 5
  4. Rocket League
  5. Mario rabbids

Nothing wrong with Mario Odyssey, am just not huge on platformers these days. Skills have atrophied.

Fire Emblem is a lock to break into my top 5 if they don’t screw it up. Never played Valkyria Chronicles but that too assuming folks aren’t lying about its awesomeness.

My hoped for announcements are Path of Exile and Advance Wars.

I only own 4 Switch games so far, but they are all highly recommended games that I haven’t been able to put down.

1. Mario Odyssey
  2. Breath of the Wild
  3. Steamworld Heist
  4. Steamworld Dig 2
  1. Mario + Rabbids
  2. Steamworld Heist (played on Vita which is… near enough)
  3. Splatoon 2
  4. Snipperclips
  5. Mario Odyssey
  1. Splatoon 2
  2. Splatoon 2
  3. Splatoon 2
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Splatoon 2

Seriously, Splatoon 2 is fantastic if you enjoy competitive online multiplayer, and it’s absence from most of the lists so far strikes me as odd. Maybe it’s mostly people who just play single player. Fun fact: That was me before I tried the original Splatoon, so give it a shot, solo-ers. The single player and co-op modes in Splatoon 2 are a blast, too.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  2. Mario + Rabbids
  3. Darkest Dungeon
  4. Mario Kart (ranked this low only because I played it a ton on the WiiU)
  5. Super Mario Odyssey (I’m watching my kids play bits of it, and it looks pretty cool)

Looking forwards to digging into Golf Story, Steamworld Heist, and Breath of the Wild at some point.

I think that Nintendo tends to self-select for single player types (or couch multiplayer e.g. Mario Kart), but I also think that the semi-portable nature of the Switch means that it’s going to skew less to the online-gaming crowd.

Also, while the actual experience is by most accounts serviceable, Nintendo hasn’t exactly done great job with it’s online multiplayer pitch so far.

Splatoon 2 is one of the top five easily. It also doesn’t require any sort of voice communication to play high level super entertaining games of it online with random teams.

I wish the co-op mode was available all of the time instead of just the limited times Nintendo allows. I would boot up the game more if I knew I could just jump right in and not need to check schedules and times online.

Otherwise it is a great game.

I’ve only played four on the Switch, but quite like them all:

1. Mario Kart 8 (with friends)
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Golf Story
  4. Disgaea 5
  5. Mario Kart 8 (alone; the 200cc class makes solo racing more appealing, almost taking it to a sim-like place where braking and track memorization are necessary to place well, but it’s still Mario Kart.)

Pretty similar to everyone else’s list, but I will add that the Switch is easily my favorite console in. . . maybe ever, and I mostly only ever play it docked.

Yeah, Splatoon is probably my favourite online shooter alongside Titanfall 2. I hammered it on the Wii U, more so than any other game. Splatoon 2 improves on the original in almost every way although I’m yet to play the single-player campaign because the multiplayer is so good.

The thing that always strikes me about Splatoon, aside from the brilliance of the name, is how versatile and elegant the ink is from a design perspective. Yeah, it’s satisfying to fire and splosh around but it serves so many other purposes. It clearly establishes your team colour and marks the shifting territory between you and your enemy. You can swim in your own ink as a squid (including up walls) for increased mobility while the enemy team’s ink will hurt you. Reloading your weapon is neatly folded into submerging yourself as a squid in your own ink to top up your ink tank. Not only that but if you stay still while submerged, you can hide in it. It’s just really smart, simple and intuitive.

I’m going to buy a a few tables on Pinball FX3 when the (hopefully) imminent patch appears. Any suggestions?

I wouldn’t buy them until we know it is patched and worthwhile. iMO it just isn’t worth it in the current state,

Played a bit of Bayonetta on Switch today. It looks pretty damn good and runs great in portable mode. Can’t wait to play it tomorrow while I’m traveling for the holidays.

Yeah, I’m waiting for the patch. I’m not 60fps or else for everything, but it matters for racing and pinball for me.

The other annoying thing is that ball catching seems too easy. Dunno if that’s all versions.

Could go back to Pinball Arcade, but their current offering is not a great set of pins. Plus I’m kind of interested in the meta game parts of FX3.

Doing Bayonetta 1/2 is a smart port. Few had Wii U’s and they are supposedly great action games.

Anyone here who has picked up Fe for the Switch? The early reviews I’ve seen so far have been generally very complimentary, comparing it favourably to Journey. And the price is reasonable! So really, the only question for me is PS4 vs. Switch so I’m curious if there’s a big loss of visual fidelity if I do get it on the eShop. Since the game is so very much about its visuals I’m not sure if the portability advantage would be worth the tradeoff if it’s too steep a decline.

Also wondering if there’s any accommodation for Switch motion controls. Not that it’s a requirement for me, just a nice to have.

I feel compelled to get Fe, but I’m trying to hold onto a purchasing moratorium at the moment. sigh

I really shouldn’t get it yet either, at least not until I put more of a dent into Super Mario Odyssey, which should scratch any platforming itch I might have.

I found a site that did a graphics comparison, and I have to say that the Switch stands up extremely well. In some cases, I even prefer its graphics over the PS4 version. With that said, apparently the frame rate of the Switch version does suffer a bit at times. I’m not very sensitive to that, so when I do buy it, looks like it’ll be the Switch version after all!

Odyssey is so awesome. Definitely play that first! I need to go back to that for more Moons!

…and that’s the reason I’m trying to hold out. We haven’t even opened at least three games from Christmas yet including Fire Emblem Warriors for Switch. I’m halfway through Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I have lots of moons to uncover in Mario Odyssey. I still haven’t played nearly enough Splatoon 2 and haven’t finished the single player in that yet. I’ve been playing a lot of Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition and dabbled with Dragon Ball FighterZ. I just got the Analogue Super Nt so I’ve been playing Super Mario World: Yoshi’s Island 2 and the Super Turrican games… the list goes on and on.

I need more hours in the day, to take a work sabbatical for like three years, and have my kids give me no distractions through that whole time to catch up… which means I never will.

I haven’t yet, but I’m planning to, as I think it would be good to play with my very conflict-averse daughter. She’s not a fan of combat, but little singing dragons? I think she’ll enjoy watching it with me.