Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

ARMS is THE game I have had the most fun with on the Switch.

I play it with my son (6) and we play co-op against 2 AI opponents. We stand in front of the TV each with a Joy-Con controller in each hand and physically do the punches, blocks, dodges, etc. We cheer, yell, pump our fists, and have a blast. The AI is really competent and can pose a fun challenge.

The experience reminds me of The Fight: Lights Out which I loved (but I don’t think found an audience) as it allowed you to mimic boxing moves with the PS3’s Move Controllers. That was one of my fondest gaming memories and ARMS captures the physicality of that game but packages it differently.

I initially thought ARMS’ move-set was on the shallow side but once I started doing the training tutorials I realized how deep and complex the game can get. So it is very accessible and easy to pickup and play yet deep if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

ARMS is probably a YMMV game. If what I wrote above sounds enticing you can get a lot of mileage out of the game and have a fun time. The characters all play a little differently and have interchangeable arms that handle very differently and allow for experimenting with playstyles (defensive, mobile, long-range, aggressive, counters, etc.) I don’t know what the online community is like since I pretty much only play against AI.

ah, it just looked like a shallow punchout.

Nope. It’s a true fighting game with the triangle of punch, block, throw and all that entails. It just happens to be played from a behind the back perspective. It’s very hardcore if you decide to play ranked online.

Is there a competitive scene for ARMS? It would be a weird Evo inclusion.

“Spring 2018”

That looks really good for a switch game.

This may only be of interest to me, but the original Wii Shop is closing in 2019, and the last day to buy Wii Shop points is in two days, at noon on March 26.

If you ever wanted to play any of those old WiiWare games that aren’t available anywhere else, you only have a couple of days left!

Nah, it’s not just you…

The Online ARMS Championship is going on right now. Really amazing to watch…

Hopefully it will be a permanent link when it’s done. Super cool.

The Switch port of Dark Souls has been delayed until summer.

Well you can’t mess with the nature of causality.

This confirms the port is not yet in development, but at least Platinum wants to do it ASAP.

I know everything is getting ported to switch during this indie rush. But this is still unexpected.

@justaguy2 aka Tony Carnivale did a stream on the PC version of this a few months ago (spoiler: he’s so good at this game!)

Switch is apparently vulnerable at the hardware level. Nintendo can’t be happy about this, given their system-integrity efforts of the last few years.

Just to be clear, this isn’t a method that could be used to hack someone else’s system. It could be a boon for emulators, though.

It’s a general flaw with the Tegra X1 SoC, so the sooner they can get a revised, cost reduced and exploit fixed version, the better. Nintendo was extremely conservative in using an off the shelf design from nVidia, but now that the sales have been so good it makes a ton of sense to redesign the chip anyway for a smaller production node, and to remove the 4 unused ARM cores, hardware modem features, etc. The original flaw was reported to nVidia a while back, so I’d assume a fix would have been rolled up with any other changes already. Which is to say, if you want to hack your Switch buy sooner rather than later.

I for one am ecstatic. I have two goals.

1. apply MHXX translation patch (cause apparently capcom doesn’t like easy money)
  2. dual boot linux for more flexible on the go gaming

Oho, now you’re talking! :)

And yeah Switch would make a pretty awesome little emulation device.

Some big news out of Nintendo:

Nintendo announced that its president and CEO Tatsumi Kimishima will be stepping down, to be replaced by board member Shuntaro Furukawa, 46.