Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Probably since Nintendo operates in its own pretend fantasy world regarding digital purchases being tied to hardware or only allowing one console to be activated per account.

My impression was that those NES games were available to play as part of the service, not something you purchased separately.

Not a very exciting announcement. $20 for cloud saves and online is fine I guess.

During the rest of my existence on Earth, my time playing NES games will be under 5 minutes.

Why resurrect the VC when you can sell miniature consoles for $80 a pop?

To scalpers.

Oh yeah, of course they’ll make you buy them again. But now you can play multiplayer over the internet in Kirby’s Dream Course.

That sounds awesome actually.

It’s fine with a la carte. If, say, a slightly updated GameCube version of Wave Race Blue Storm showed up in downloads alongside everything else, great.

I do wish Nintendo would make the search/sort in their store more robust on the switch itself.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is coming in August.

Is this a version of the current game on the other systems? A release of a different previous game? An all new game for Switch?

Monster Hunter Generations/Monster Hunter X was released on 3DS in 2015 (2016 in the US and Europe). In 2017 they released Monster Hunter XX on 3DS and Switch in Japan. It added in a whole pile of new monsters, made the game pretty on Switch, and extended gameplay even more.

Generations is a little more action oriented than prior games and it’s also more customizable. It has Hunting Styles and Hunting Arts as you can see in the video posted up above. It basically contains a whole lot more stuff than World because it’s building on years of Monster Hunter games. I think the best comparison for this Switch version is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U which was like the definitive home console Monster Hunter game at that time and it linked up with the 3DS game, too. Generations Ultimate will do the same with Generations on 3DS.

It’s basically the biggest version of Monster Hunter you can buy and it took them a year to bring it to the US. It’s entirely different from Monster Hunter World.

One of the articles I saw earlier said it isn’t as good of an entry point to the series as World. Your comments seem to back that up.

I’ve played a bit of the JP version. It’s fine. It looks like an upscaled 3ds game and it’s hard to go back to the loading screens between a bunch of outdoor “rooms” after playing so much of World. But hey if you wanna get your charge blade on during a flight it’s not bad.

Well, as improbable as Retro making a Star Fox racing spin-off may sound, Eurogamer sources have heard similar.

Details posted to reddit by user DasVergeben, who has a patchy record, touted Retro’s Star Fox project as a racing game “like Diddy Kong Racing mixed with F-Zero”.

"It will have an adventure mode of some kind (think Diddy Kong Racing) and there will be some boss fights and a hub world like it too.

“It is called Star Fox Grand Prix.”

While I hadn’t heard the name - and don’t know if that is accurate or final - other details line up with what I have heard. The Star Fox series is traditionally a space (and sometimes land) based vehicle shooter, although it has dabbled in various other genres before.

Edit: An article by Kotaku suggests that Retro was working on another game that had a troubled development and might’ve been cancelled.

We’ve heard the same from a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo, and we’ve also heard from two other sources that the Austin, Texas-based Retro had a separate project that went through a rocky development cycle and may in fact be canceled.

Mario Tennis Aces news!

Aces’ online demo runs from 1 June through 3 June. The last two Mario Tennis games had a mixed (at best) reception and I haven’t personally played one since the N64, so being able to try Aces before buying it is great—doubly so if you have Amazon Prime and can use the pre-order discount. Nintendo also released a trailer for the single-player adventure mode, which looks pretty good especially since I was expecting this to be primarily a multiplayer title.

Yeah, I played the hell out of it on N64, and tennis is a pretty great fit for handhelds, so I’m really looking forward to this, but also anxious about how good it will be.

Handy pro tip I just learned about:

Entering airplane mode from the home button menu disables Bluetooth along with WiFi. However, if you turn on airplane mode from the settings menu, you can selectively enable Bluetooth to play in tabletop mode.

I’m looking for a game for my nephew but cant seem to remember the name of it… i saw it yesterday and can’t find it again.

I swear it was something like “Nintendo Summer Games” by Nintendo, sort of similar to Wii Sports, with various summer activity games like Surfing, Tennis, squirt guns, ect. But for the life of me i can’t figure out how to Google “Nintendo Summer Games”. I’ve even looked at a whole list of pre-order games and can’t find it. I also can’t seem to find any website that sorts Switch game by publisher. I’m pretty sure it said the release date was July 2018.

Anyone have any idea what i’m talking about?

Is it “Go Vacation”?

It took 8 months. In Japan, anyway.

Hmmm, only $45 cheaper than one without a dock. And a dock on its own costs $70 from the Nintendo Store (plus shipping I’m guessing).