Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

The Switch is actually way better for handheld gaming than the Vita, in my opinion.

Be that as it may, my main discovery was that in the situations where I’m not on the computer, and not on the couch in front of the TV, but still looking for mental engagement, I’d rather spend that time reading a book or an article.

It’s really great if you’re playing Zelda and suddenly need to go to the toilet! ;)

Or to quickly check the store or news, I tend to pick it up and use it portably rather than turn tv on as it’s so instant. But otherwise, yeah I’m docked all the way.

Folks, don’t sleep on this pinball + metroidvania game:

It’s also on Xbox / PS4 / Steam but is pretty perfect for Switch.

I have been going back and forth between my Switch and Vita and I do like the smaller form factor of the Vita better (purely size related though).

I never got much use out of my portable game devices either except maybe iPad. Switch is different (to me). It is a near identical experience with transitioning the same game between TV and portable. That aside, the setup options are different. I never got used to holding a portable game machine in my hands. It just felt uncomfortable. For the Switch I really enjoy putting the system on a stand (tabletop mode) then using the joycons separated in each hand. This leads to a much more relaxed position. When playing a game in bed, I put the stand on a pillow on my chest and let my arms lay down comfortably at my sides. It just works so much better for me.

I’ve played a half hour of Stardew Valley with detached Joycons while holding a sleeping baby in my arms. It’s something I couldn’t do with a PS4, Vita, PC, or phone. I will never stop singing the praises of the Switch’s versatility.

Anyone get Curse of the Moon? It’s available on pretty much every system, but it feels like it belongs on the Switch. It’s basically Castlevania 3 part 2, and is excellent, and is $10.

Yeah Bloodstained is pretty great. Short, but also pretty cheap with a bit a replayability. Castlevania 3 fans rejoice.

This cannot be overstated and is often overlooked as a valuable feature. Whether in TV or handheld mode, you can put the unit to sleep and effectively pause any game at any time. It makes playing games so much more flexible.

Yeah, sleep at any time is great (and exists on the 3DS as well). But it only works if nobody else is going to pick up the Switch and quit your game to play something else, which my kids would.

Luckily you can save in Zelda at any time as well, so I’m still ok there.

I have already spent far more time on my Switch than my PSP and Vita combined. The majority of that in tabletop mode,

Hunh.

Neat! I imagine those games will rely heavily on the touchscreen tough.

Not necessarily. Carcassonne and Catan among others were on Xbox 360 and played with a controller. This isn’t a new thing, really.

I’m finishing Mario Rabbids before buying another game. Bought the season pass at the end of World 3

Is the actual pinball in Island Express good?

I would be surprised if it scratched the same itch something like Zen Pinball does. It’s a lot of fun in its context, but there’s no score to chase, and the “levels” are simpler than a zen table. Most are just simple little pinball areas with some bumpers or something to unlock some crystals to collect which remove a barrier to progress out of the pinball area into a new part of the island. It’s light pinball mechanics in service of exploring a beautiful little world.

Pinball fans will have to look at why they enjoy pinball to better judge whether that will be fun for them.

I wouldn’t say that Yoku’s Island Express has “actual pinball” in it at all. It just uses the idea of flippers and aiming your shots with those flippers as the platforming mechanic instead of jumping.

Exactly this. Yoku isn’t a game to buy because you want to play pinball (though you sort of will for brief periods)

Pinball is a boring hobby that was created because video games didn’t exist yet. Yoku is pretty cool though cause because the little bug dude puts mail in mailboxes and fruit comes out. Also he’s got a baller noisemaker so you just jam on the A button and you’re already having more fun than anybody who’s played pinball.