Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

A very weird thing I just noticed around Switch is how much of their library is digital only right now.

I was trying to take advantage of a 20% discount on Google Express for new customers + an additional $20 off $60 on Google Express deal on Amex to stock up on some Switch Games but wasn’t able to find a lot of the games I was hoping for.

Ended up with Mario Odyssey + Puyo Puyo Tetris + a Switch Carry Case for $70

You couldn’t buy funds for your Nintendo wallet?

Trying to take advantage of the discounts :) - Was originally planning to buy Hollow Knight and Yoku’s Island Express, neither of which were available as physical copies ( I think)

I understand that, but major retailers (in US at least) have gift cards for Nintendo eshop, just like steam, etc

Great point. I should’ve checked to see if that was on the list of exempt items for the 20% off deal first :|

At any rate, there are a lot of digital only titles. There’s also a company called Limited Run that does small batch physical releases. But unless you are a major title, it just doesn’t make financial sense to do physical production these days

Yoku’s is available in old-school physical stores on all the platforms. Hollow Knight is indie so digital only.

For people playing Pinball FX in vertical mode, a new accessory makes that a bit less annoying:

Saw that a couple of days ago. Looks cool, but don’t usually play while holding the switch (I use a stand). Great for shmups as well, I’d think.

This seems like an actually good kickstarter to back, as it is cheap, backed by fangamer, and it seems useful.

I don’t play any vertical games on Switch, but if I did, I would think this would be a must have for mobile usage.

C’mon man… it’s like twenty posts up.

I would give some people a pass on skipping straight to the end of the four-thousand-post-long topic and missing everything in it.

So, Ys VIII came out. I had forgotten about this game, but it’s interesting to me.

I remember playing Wanderers from Ys on the NES? The gameplay videos of this one looked good.

I hear good things, but man it is 60 dollars.

Looks kind of like a single player monster hunter type RPG.

Welcome to Switch gaming.

It’s a JRPG but with a more action RPG system. You should expect the standard JRPG story for the most part. It’s a good game but I preferred the earlier games in the series (available on Steam) where it was top down and more like hyperspeed Zelda combat.

Er, it launched at $60 everywhere else too. This has nothing to do with being on Switch.

The bigger issue is that the Switch port apparently has all the same problems the other versions have had with localization. Like the other versions, the Switch version should be avoided until we get confirmation that it’s been fixed.

The full-body rumble of Lumines on Switch is pretty hilarious, if you have 2+ extra joycons to stick in your pants. Not kidding.

Haven’t picked it up yet, but sure I will at some point. That’s a “feature” that goes back to the original release of Rez, also created by Tetsuya Mizuguchi, on PS2, which had an accessory called a (now I’m not kidding) trance vibrator.