Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I heard about this game the other day and I about exploded. Portable lumines again!!!

Question, does it work with the trance vibrator?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0281/2796/products/Switch-GP-Canvas-front_1024x1024.jpg?v=1521217228![image|690x460]

Picked this up, because a $15 case will not do when I can get a $50 one. And this is slumming for a WaterField case.

What I want is something like this, a portable way of doing hdmi with the switch. But as far as I can tell, there isn’t one out there that doesn’t risk bricking. Unless i’ve missed one?

imagehttps://c1.neweggimages.com/productimagecompressall480/A1HE_1_20180225948285840.jpg

Yeah from what I’ve read (but no direct experience) there’s no safe HDMI adapter.

Diego

Why on earth would an HDMI adapter brick the switch?
I’m not doubting that it does, I’m just questioning what kind of fucked up engineering would possibly result in that?

Something to do with converting video output to hdmi, non standard support of a usb 3 standard in nintendo’s dock, or some such.

Doesn’t affect power supplies 3rd parties like Anker gear. So something in the handshaking when these peripherals tell the Switch it’s docked. Dunno.

The HDMI adapter also provides power (in fact, HDMI is disabled when the Switch is on battery). And Nintendo uses a non compliant USBC spec that may cause third party equipment to provide too much power and lead to bricking.

I take it you mean when hdmi is active, so that the system is fooled somehow into thinking it is docked when it isn’t, and therefore trying to draw excess power?

Just curious, since I use a 3rd party usb cable all the time without issue.

My understanding is that when a Switch outputs HDMI, it will sometimes request too much power. The OEM dock ignores it. Third party docks might comply.

No reason in theory Nintendo couldn’t make their own small HDMI adapter. I’m sure it’d be overpriced, but I’d grab one in a heartbeat. Even if it required/included a split cable to also plug it into power, it’d just be nice to be able to throw essentially one cable into my bag if I wanted to plug the Switch into a TV somewhere else instead of the bulky dock.

Ya, so they basically just fucked the engineering on it. Gotcha.

It definitely wasn’t $60 on Vita. For anyone unsure if they’ll like an Ys game you can probably find a cheap copy of Ys 7 or Oath of Felgana on PC to see if you like them before paying the full retail on 8.

Oh yeah, NIS America screwed up the game’s release so hard on every platform that I completely forgot it even got a release on a platform I own three of.

One would think that there is a waiting market for a super portable dock that, you know, caps the power sent to the switch no matter what stupid bs is going on from the OS.

But I don’t see it yet.

I guess the other option is that Nintendo updates the OS to be less stupid, so you could do it as long as you’re damn sure you’ve upgraded to 5.x OS.

Lumines on the Switch is amazing. That rumble!

It is indeed awesome, I just wish the rumble wasn’t so damn loud.

Sure, but the reason the portable docks out their are cheap is because they were using off the shelf USB-C components. Actually reverse engineering and getting a custom asic will take time and cost more.

Yeah, it’s clear that it’s not a snap to fix this. I’m just tapping my foot waiting for someone to do it.

I’ve never played a crash game, what do they play closest to? I’ve never really gotten into non Nintendo platformers in the past.

I guess my kids went to the grocery store with my wife yesterday, because they came home with a box of Super Mario cereal, which (and I am not making this up) is also an Amiibo. The cereal box is an Amiibo.

Yep. I actually sent four the the boxes to the UK to a friend because apparently they don’t have them.