Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

If it helps to think of it as a hand-held, you can do that.

I love this console. Hopefully you’ll love it too!

Yeah, seriously, I love mine. Why would you feel dirty, @Jorn_Weines?

I felt the sheepish when I got mine, because Nintendo is for Children / All Glory to the PC Hegemony.

How wrong I was.

Maybe the box was sticky?

I’d say PC-gaming master race, but I hardly play on that. The hand-held angle is a big reason I got it, as well as having something to play on when I go on a research stay this fall. Seems like the Switch has some intetesting exclusives too.

I also miss a console for couch party/social games.

Edit; No support for bluetooth headphones!?!!!

One of us!

No native bluetooth headphone support, but there are various USB and headphone jack transmitter dongles that will work.

… along with a zillion other cool accessories that you’ll probably decide you want.

This thread also has a bunch of friend codes. If you add yours we can add you.

Diego

This is my biggest complaint about the Switch. I fly every week and have to hook up a cord to my noise canceling headphones to play Switch.

I just recently switched to bluetooth headphones, and it is no biggie, just surprising.

I’m not a fan of lugging around accesories, which are you thinking about/recommending @dgallina?

Sadly no current gen console has support for Bluetooth headsets without a dongle. Not even the all powerful XB1X.

Handheld mode is pretty hard on my wrists so I’ve been thinking about picking this thing up. The one issue with this kind of case is having to take it off every time you dock but I think this one is thin enough to stay on all the time:

Well, here is a workaround.

Not too difficult to carry around a pair of earbuds though.

Ok you asked for it 😁 !!

Which accessories you get depends on how you plan to use the Switch.

For audio

For controllers

• You might want a Pro Controller if you want a more traditional or comfortable feel.

• Maybe also a spare set of JoyCons depending on how many people you plan to play with. Many Switch games have good couch or table co-op.

• If you do buy more JoyCons then you might also want a charging grip so that you don’t have to swap them onto the console to charge. The grip in the box is fine but doesn’t charge.

For protection and mobility

• Many people use a glass screen protector since the Switch dock may scratch the soft plastic screen.

• If you travel with the Switch then you might want a carrying case for all your gear. There are many cheap to expensive choices. I love the WaterField City Slicker, but it isn’t inexpensive.

• The Switch battery won’t last more that 3 hours or so depending on what your are playing. For long plane rides or other extended mobile play you might want an external USB C battery pack, Anker makes a few good ones.

Other random items

• If you use tabletop mode often you’ll find that the Switch kickstand is pretty poor. Something like the Hori PlayStand lets you position the Switch more stably in either horizontal or vertical mode. The latter is great if you are an old school arcade or pinball player since some of those games support vertical TATE mode,

• Of course you have to buy the biggest memory card you care to afford if you don’t want to play everything from physical cartridge media. Samsung and Sandisk both make recommended cards. 256gb ones are the current price sweet spot. Mine is nearly full and I’d love a 400gb model, but those are stupid expensive. Will probably buy a second 256gb and deal with swapping occasionally instead.

Ok I think that’s mostly it for now.

Diego

Good points. YMMV is for sure true for protectors! i did mine for the Switch with only one mostly tolerable bubble, but I don’t use them on iPhones because I’ve never had good luck with those.

Diego

I don’t recall which protector I bought, but it was significantly sturdier than any phone ones I’ve used and thus much easier to put on without any bubbles. As much as it gets pulled in and out of the base, I’d get one.

Thanks!

A case sounds like a good idea since I’ll be travelling.

I want to make it clear that all of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

One of us, etc.

-Tom

P.S. Gratz!

Dock cozy instead of a screen protector: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=switch+dock+cover&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aswitch+dock+cover

TwelveSouth Airfly lets you send audio from the Switch to any Bluetooth headphones. Works great with my Switch and Bose QC35s: https://www.amazon.com/Twelve-South-Transmitter-Headphones-entertainment/dp/B07CB24GSV/

This cable to charge the Airfly from the Switch. If you’re anything like me you will never remember to charge the Airfly and this will save you: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M72GS0H/

Have you ever done a glass protector? It is stiff, not like most phone protectors or the kind you would have put on a DS. I always sucked at the DS ones, but the glass one for Switch was a breeze.

I strongly recommend getting one, as the front of a Switch isn’t made of gorilla glass like a phone is.

Over a year without a screen protector, and zero scratches. Whole thing seemed overblown to me. I don’t baby it, but I also don’t worry about it.

Kudos. Do you take yours in and out of the dock frequently? To me it seems (partly because of where mine is) a bit tricky to get it straight up and down. To me, this is a better safe than sorry kind of deal, but cool you haven’t had an issue. Not like the things are expensive.