Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Any good tips or guides on how to get started in Gungeon?

I think part of the appeal of the game is the discovery. It keeps opening up more and more stuff and story as you keep playing. Be sure to spend some time with Ser Manuel before you set out into the gungeon.

Dodge roll often. It is the name of the company after all. Don’t be afraid to use the guns you find unless they’re really specialized. They will be best against bosses, but better to kill the gundead than to hold onto ammo you never use. Make sure you always have keys if possible. They’re not just for chests!

Learn how the gundead will attack and kick over tables to help block their bullets. They’re all unique. Use the environment to your advantage too and just try not to get cornered. Finally, use your blanks if you have to! Again, taking damage is not good.

Thx. Bought it. Odd but cool approach to RPG’s. Played only a few minutes, it seems to imply that your choices with the Sinister Dude will matter.

Thanks, this is the exact kind of advice I was looking for - just the general mindset to approach the game with, not anything specific.

The default controls on Switch seem a bit busted - using R to shoot instead of ZR, L to dodge roll instead of ZL. I already changed my controls to the first alternate where they’re swapped, but do you have any other advice on how to set up controls?

Additionally, the Blank default control is just clicking both sticks. That seems a bit cumbersome for something which you’ll want to activate with short notice. But I’m not sure what else I should use instead.

If you’re playing on a controller, I’d be curious to know what control scheme you’ve landed on.

Being part of the Switch eco system makes one really appreciate the pricing of PC games.

AoW3 was 75% off yesterday, £5 for all that gaming goodness.

Yep. Choose your games carefully, especially if you’re all digital and you don’t get any trade in value.

It’s not really an issue for me because I tend to finish games and I’m kinda slow. But if you’re used to sampling a half dozen games on a humble bundle, or getting a 50% discount on lots of good stuff that’s a year old… Not happening.

It might even be OK not getting 50% discounts on year old games. But when even the base price also tends to be 50% more than on PC, buying indie games on Switch never feels great.

Just last week I wanted some kind of a grindy platformer on the Switch for a vacation trip. I’d wanted to try Celeste, but it was $30 on the e-shop when PC launch price was $20. But ok, that’s a game from this year. How about Steamworld Dig 2 from a year ago? Again $30, PC launch price $20. (Yes, yes, I’m sure many of you aren’t seeing these prices. Nintendo has special rip-off prices where I live).

Ended up getting Hollow Knight, which I already own elsewhere, just because it had price parity.

I’m still not sure how to access the eShop in a browser, since Nintendo seems to be sort-of localized and has a website run by the Nordic licensed retailer.

I am 100% happy with my purchase and I think the Switch seems to be an excellent console… but a lot of the stuff outside of playing games on it seems a bit backwards.

You can get 50% discounts in the eShop. IIRC, Enter the Gungeon is 50% off right now.

But that’s only for third party games. Nintendo basically never deeply discounts its own titles in the eShop.

This is what I use to find eShop and physical sales on decent Switch games.

This particular game is frequently on sale.

Given the base price they’re trying to charge me is 50% higher than on any other platform (even at launch), I’m inclined to let them shove any 25%-off sales right where the sun don’t shine.

I’m totally happy paying full price for games. But I also won’t reward country-specific rip-off pricing, which is absolutely rampant in the eshop.

I just bought Gungeon a second time this week because of the discount. That said, it doesn’t bother me all that much. Portability is a big draw. Also, you really only notice because these are games available on a bazillion platforms. The exclusive stuff is worth paying for most of the time, like Golf Story.

Realistically, I already have more games than I can play by the time I’m dead so if price discourages me these days I can’t get too worked up about it.

I’ve seen this game more than once in the eShop for $15, which is less than the regular Steam price. Though you could obviously minimize the price further by waiting for a Steam sale.

With a little bit of effort, you can buy games from another country’s eShop.

Yes, that is the exact problem. You can see those prices. I can’t. Either Nintendo or the developers think that I should pay 50% more for the game than you, and 50% more than on any other platform.

Yeah, no.

Not that I am saying that this is something that you should have to do, and you shouldn’t. The disparity in pricing is stupid. But it is actually really easy to buy stuff from other region’s e-shops. The console is not region locked. You just have to set up an e-shop account for that region, and a payment that works there. I did it for Japan on mine, just to browse, but I haven’t bought anything.

Wait so they’re the same? Why’s that a problem? That game launched on Switch the same time as PC, it’s not like it’s a 2 year old PC game that got ported to Switch at an old price.

Whoops, typo! Sorry about that. The highest price for that game on Steam ever is $20 :)

It’s also 20 on the Switch eshop. It’s the physical Switch version that started at 30. There was never a physical version for pc.

Right, but like I’ve mentioned in three separate posts, the prices are not the same in all countries. SWD2 really costs about $30 in the eshop where I live, I’m not lying about that. And it’s not due to taxes or other similar reasons; the same game is sold for $19 on Steam and $20 on PSN.

It’s not an isolated thing either; a huge proportion of “nindies” are similarly overpriced compared to other stores in the same country.

That blows.

So anyway, Hollow Knight is incredible. I put off buying it last year because the Switch version was announced very early on but then got delayed a few times. Definitely worth the wait. This game is a perfect blend of Metroid and Souls with amazing hand drawn art that looks great in docked or handheld mode. I knew very little going in so it’s been really cool exploring this creepy sad beautiful bug world.

I’m not usually a fan of preorders but since I’ve already played Dead Cells and can’t wait to play it some more on the Switch I picked that up. Currently on sale but I think that ends this week.

Hollow Knight looks so cool, (and Dead Cells too) but I worry the difficulty is probably a bit much for me.