Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Yeah, the Switch power cable is an USB-C. You can also buy one when you get back to the US for far,far less than the $50 import fees.

Are you talking a standard European to US outlet adapter? I could do that.

Is it a USB-C cable that then plugs into a regular wall adapter?

Ouch, it seems to be more expensive here too. If I bought one here, in theory would I need to pay US Customs when I come back to the US?

Nah, just don’t declare it.

It’s a moulded powerbrick/plug with a USB-C cable attached, or at least the UK one is. Just buy an EU–>US plug adaptor for like 5 euros.

I think the cheapest I saw the Switch for was 329 Euros for just the base unit. That’s $380. I wish I bought it in the US before we left for France. I was thinking about it and didn’t pull the trigger. So my indecisiveness will either cost me $80 or prevent me from getting a Switch :-)

It’s probably 275€ + sales tax, so you might be able to do this.

So probably try at a big chain (pretty sure FNAC will participate in this).

Sounds like I should take a look at the DLC.

Me and my boys have been playing the base game for a week or so now (got it on physical sale). Fun and pretty varied. Easy to pick up and understand. Simple enough for my boys to reach World 3 before they got “stuck” (though a bit of grinding should probably see them past the hump), yet challenging enough that even a veteran at least needs to think a bit on the best course of action in most missions - at least if you want a “Perfect” score in every battle. It’s not X-com level of difficulties, but it’s kept me entertained so far.

Thanks for that idea! We are going to be in France for almost 7 months, so I’m not sure I qualify.

Ah, probably you don’t qualify then, although I’m unsure if they will check…

You are not leaving the EU at all in those 7 months?

Pop over to Switzerland for a visit :P

We’ve been here from June 12th and leave January 9th. Actually, we did just go to Norway for 8 days and Austria for 8 days - but we’re still over the 6 month limit by a little bit. Unless it is 6 continuous months.

You can buy one on ebay.com for around $270 delivered to a US address. Then get someone to repackage into customs friendly packaging and send on to France. Maybe pick one up for @Left_Empty at the same time.

It’s about the time you spent in France when you claim it, so you need to do the claim (by leaving the EU) before 6 months have passed. It’s also 6 months a year, so the 9 days in JAnuary do not count.

I think you might be out of luck… I’m unsure if they will check, though.

This would be a roll of the dice. Customs friendly package means that maybe customs won’t take it, but your package could always be tagged randomly.

True but even at 20% import tax it would still be cheaper than buying in France.

I’ve done tax free stuff a bunch of times. It’s not actually tax free because of all the different fees they slap on, it ends up being like a 60% tax refund. I’ve never seen a situation where they look at cumulative time spent in the country. They only care when you came in and the date you are cashing the tax free stuff. You typically get the refund immediately for big countries like France.

Another deal from the US eShop. Yoku’s Island Express is 40% off. I really enjoyed the demo when it appeared a couple of weeks back…it’s a very cute open world pinball game. It’s hard to describe, but the demo is a very good indicator of whether you’d like it. The full game is supposedly only around 7 hours to complete the main quest, but for $12 it’s quite appealing.

(Edit) Ooh, now that we have a search function that works you can see other comments on Yoku above.

Also, Yoku’s Island Express

When I was in Japan this May I noticed that I could get a Switch for significantly cheaper than I could in Canada. I managed to hold off this time but I think next time I go back I will definitely be picking one up. The $80 game prices here in Canada do give me pause, however.

That’s awesome. The game is really built around that feeling of overcoming a huge challenge. What’s missing from the demo, though, is all of the other things you can do before beating your head against the wall when you encounter a tough enemy.

So for example, the Great Maccao is probably the first large monster you’ll fight in Ultimate, but that won’t be your first mission. You’ll have a few missions of exploring, gathering and fighting small monsters. That will allow you to upgrade one or two pieces of armor, maybe craft a better weapon, and gather up mats for things like the armorskin potion that will boost your armor until you end the quest or faint. There are so many potions. It’s not quite like the Witcher where you’re making the anti-Maccao potion, but it definitely rewards doing your research and preparing for a fight.

Pretty psyched to make the jump from 3DS to Switch and use a real controller. Hurry up and get over with, weekend.

Picked up Hollow Knight and Yoku’s Island Express on sale. Got plenty of Switch fun times ahead of me!